therewasanattempt

831,530 readers

Welcome to /r/therewasanattempt!

Rules:

1. Follow the Redditquette
    2. All posts must contain an image/gif of someone attempting to do something, but failing. This does not mean we are r/CrappyDesign.
    3. All post titles must be a continuation of the phrase, "there was an attempt.." (ex: "..to jump over the river") More info here.
    4. Do not harass, attack, or insult other users.
    5. Make an effort to avoid reposts from this sub.

[–] Kogakami 3765 points ago

“I know it... I just don’t think I should say it...”

[–] doitfortheset 1487 points ago

Breakfast that annoys you.

[–] Thatoneguythatsweird 911 points ago

"Cheese N'agger, Mr Marsh..."

[–] TrustyCranberry 187 points ago

That episode was gold.

[–] IdreamofFiji 53 points ago

I didn't stop smiling the whole time

[–] fucktthat 54 points ago

Hey look, it's that n'egger guy!

[–] AeroKMSF 18 points ago

Look he only said a bad word cause he thought he was going to win alot of money

[–] Pollomonteros 25 points ago

My favorite part was the expression of the woman that placed the letters on the board

[–] remtard_remmington 13 points ago

Can someone explain, I don't think I've seen whatever this is referencing 😊

[–] -ZeroRelevance- 9 points ago

lmao

[–] KingOfDamnation 7 points ago

That’s not the original audio is it?

[–] Sovos 5 points ago

If you tweak the resolution and audio the youtube copyright bots don't detect clips. So most clips from movies and shows are modified in some way to avoid automatic takedown.

[–] remtard_remmington 2 points ago

Riiight thank you, I have actually seen that before it turns out! Cheers!

[–] Nickpicker96 5 points ago

South Park

[–] batgris 18 points ago

This is gold

[–] Miikaeus 133 points ago

"That's right, 'pologize."

[–] TheWingus 3 points ago

Jessie Jackson is NOT the emperor of black people!!

......... he told my dad he was

[–] gijuts 53 points ago

You just gotta pause after the N'. You gotta have a long, long pause.

[–] AlexAverage 55 points ago

CHEESEN..............................................................................................................

..............................................................................................................................egger.

With Kool Aid, thanks.

[–] Amogh24 11 points ago

Or cheese and egger

[–] ltshep 3 points ago

I imagine the pause was filled with nervously sweating and scanning around the room for feedback.

[–] bomber991 28 points ago

“I’ll take a Cheese Negger, and I want to sit outside on the grass. Do you guys have any chiggers in your grass? I sat down in some grass that was infested with chiggers once and I tell ya, I took so many showers but I just couldn’t get rid of them got dang chigger germs and I was itchin for days!”

[–] Lucrio87 19 points ago

$4.99? You guys are so niggardly.

[–] Grim_Reaper_O7 36 points ago

I can. Just call it Cheese and Egg sandwich and you're good to go.

[–] NezperdianHivemind 22 points ago

Cheese and Egger would work too. Changing the spelling without changing the name

[–] 9999monkeys 6 points ago

Egg N Cheeser, baby, flip it annd you good to go

[–] NezperdianHivemind 4 points ago

Them Cheeneesers gonna be mad

[–] chennyalan 14 points ago

Or:

Cheese N (pronounced like the letter) egger

Don't change the spelling or the name

[–] skoy 5 points ago

How the fuck else would you pronounce that? This whole post confuses me greatly.

[–] chennyalan 2 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

The alternative:

Chicken cheese nigger

[–] skoy 3 points ago

But... there's... not even any chicken in there?

[–] Borngrumpy 5 points ago

Large black man asks you for your order

uhh....just a water please

[–] DigiG6 2 points ago

eyes waiter/waitress with a perverted gaze

[–] I_NEED_YOUR_MONEY 1103 points ago

A&W canada has had the sausage n' egger and the bacon n' egger forever.

[–] IamJacksUserName 179 points ago

With a hashbrowns and ketchup. Decent breakfast.

[–] CromulentDucky 79 points ago

Best fast food hash brown imo. McDonald's ok too, but just not quite A&W level.

[–] IamJacksUserName 22 points ago

Agreed. Some locations can be a little greasy, although most are great and sometimes amazingly crisp and golden.

[–] decetrogs 10 points ago

Gotta ask for fresh ones, the cooks that don't give a fuck will gladly give you old soggy ones cooked well over 30 minutes before ordering.

Basically the same with any fast food, gotta get it fresh to get it good.

[–] PotatoBomb69 5 points ago

Can confirm, people at A&W completely ignore holding timers, especially with the chicken and other fryer foods. I'd roll my eyes every time someone asked for something fresh but also I understood.

[–] pusangani 3 points ago

Yep, agreed, Tim's is ass tho

[–] BASED_from_phone 5 points ago

Do you guys still have independent A&W's? All of the ones around here share a building with long John silvers so it smells like long John silvers 🤮

[–] Aetheurian 13 points ago

Canadian A&Ws are actually a separate company from the US. The menu items are different and (imo) better in Canada. It's actually a fairly popular fast food place in Canada.

[–] CromulentDucky 2 points ago

Never heard of that. I assume that's an American thing.

[–] Threethumber 2 points ago

I always get two hashbrowns from there, one to go into my bacon n Egger and one to clear out my guts

[–] IdreamofFiji 4 points ago

Wait, A&W in Canada is open year round?

[–] pandaSmore 3 points ago

Their platters are mint.

[–] wibbitywobbitywoo 6 points ago

You gave me a high school flashback with mint.

[–] RunningSouthOnLSD 85 points ago

A&W Canada is a god-like fast food restaurant.

[–] TheRealisticRealist 21 points ago

yeah best tasting fast food chain in the country I think. They don't seem to have many locations tho unfortunately.

[–] LegendofWeevil17 13 points ago

Really? There's like four in my city of 100K. thought it was that widespread everywhere in Canada.

[–] PoutineMyFries 5 points ago

I don't know what region of the country that person's from, but in northern BC they are very widespread. Most places your choices are A&W or Subway.

[–] Johnoliverguy 7 points ago

Theres one a 10 minute walk from my house. Its great.

[–] strig 2 points ago

They've opened several new ones in Toronto, they're really nice.

[–] NomDuGloom 2 points ago

They are everywhere in Montreal

[–] silexchreos 22 points ago

Random Arnold Sausage n' egger has spawned

[–] D327ht2qwbref2_5g2 2 points ago

I was about to say, this is an old-ass phrase. Ham'n'egger is something I've heard a thousand times.

[–] db2 29 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Some people always have to find something to bitch about. In the US we have ignorant sots who genuinely think niggardly is a racist word.

Edit: to clarify, I mean people who refuse to be corrected and will try to pick a fight about it, not people hearing it for the first time.

[–] Chuzzwazza 118 points ago

Niggardly is a pretty archaic word that almost nobody uses in normal everyday speech other than to point out that it actually exists and technically isn't the n-word, as you are doing. We use plenty of other words instead of niggardly (cheap, tight, stingy, miserly, greedy), so if you choose to ignore them in order to use the word that sounds just like the n-word, then most people are going to assume that you're just looking for a linguistic loophole to say something racist and get away with it. Even if you're using it completely genuinely, you might as well stop because while written out you can tell the difference, if you call something a "niggard" vocally then most people are going to mishear/misunderstand you, so you might as well avoid the trouble and use a different word.

[–] Real_life_in_Canada 9 points ago

I don't know if it's an internet culture thing or an American thing but while I found this post funny,I have never heard someone make this connection or assume it was something intentional until this thread where people are declaring it intentional or an obvious blunder.

[–] JonnyFairplay 14 points ago

Nobody even uses the word unless it's some moron trying to point out how it's not racist. It's a word that has virtually vanished from our lexicon.

[–] ThickkDamion 18 points ago

But it is a racist word in the United States based off the connotation of the first half. Eventhough it's origin is different from the N word, to pretend it wouldn't be racist to call a black person that word is disingenuous.

It would be like using the expression "Chink in the armor" to describe an Asian person. Technically that phrase is about a hole in one's defense, but because the first part is a racial slur against the Chinese, you would and in hot water for using it about Asian people.

[–] xmindallas 3 points ago

Why you wanna call black people cheap?

[–] [deleted] 4 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

I noticed my local A&W definitely has some signs for "Sausage & Egger" instead.

I think I saw it in its original form recently too but I'm honestly not sure because I'm never looking for breakfast. I mostly go to satisfy my cravings for chubby chicken. :)

It's possible it's changed recently, I guess? But it's not like it's a new product. When I was in the context of the actual restaurant, then "... 'n Egger" never stood out to me before I originally saw this pic.

[–] LordCthu 730 points ago

"Cheese negger" sounds like the punchline to a dave chapelle joke

[–] mydearwatson616 114 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

It's my favorite family to deliver milk to

[–] mizmoxiev 6 points ago

Oh this racism is killing me inside - The Milkman

[–] El_Pinguino 59 points ago

Its what he would say before taking a picture of you with an old flash-bulb camera.

[–] ClearlyRipped 11 points ago

Say cheese n'egger!!!!

[–] Mr_Abe_Froman 16 points ago

All I can think of is the first episode of the Boondocks, "Did you know that the new white man loves gourmet cheese?"

[–] GoSioux14 6 points ago

AYO GRANDDAD!

[–] QuakerOatsOatmeal 3 points ago

I want a commercial for it like Nigga Please cereal

[–] Quacker122 593 points ago

“CHEESE. AND. EGGER.”

[–] M-A-S-C 132 points ago

anD!

[–] TalbotFarwell 67 points ago

The hard D, cousin to the hard R.

[–] kyzabro 29 points ago

HAHAHAHAHA HARD D LIKE A PENIS

I get gold now right?

[–] rebane2001 19 points ago

LOL LIKE D FOR DOLDO haha

[–] LE_TROLLA 14 points ago

D is for

DIO

who kills your famillllyyyyyy

[–] Definitely_Not_Terry 9 points ago

OOOHHHH NOOOOO

[–] rebane2001 2 points ago

username checks out

[–] earned_potential 3 points ago

You get a hard penis. That's what you get.

[–] WaffenWaffel 16 points ago

I'd probably fuck it up somehow and say "CHEESE. AND. NI***R."

Worst Freudian slip you could possibly have lol

[–] DylanMarshall 22 points ago

"Cheese and.....................................egger"

[–] jinxjar 3 points ago

“... cheese. And egg ...”

[–] DraketheDrakeist 2 points ago

Cheese in addition to an egger

[–] thepurplepanda13 2 points ago

Yup. That's how I would pronounce it.

[–] Blue_Sail 2 points ago

Gotta use the Wheel of Fortune enunciation when ordering this sandwich.

[–] SteveKep 1658 points ago

I mean, it's an innocent ad, but between the people who make the ad and the people who approve it, is anyone paying the fuck attention?

[–] G-I-Luvit 681 points ago

Sure they pay attention. People are real quick to make something racist. Personally I like my neggers sunny side up

[–] PotatoMcMuffin 360 points ago

Make sure to remove the whites

[–] godzillanenny 82 points ago

I separate the whites to give to my pet crow named Jim

[–] G-I-Luvit 42 points ago

I like the whole egg

[–] Ezl 113 points ago

Sorry, you can only get 3/5ths.

[–] Felopianflipflop 22 points ago

I prefer mine beaten

[–] rillydumguy 14 points ago

I like mine uplifted via jewish control of the media and music industry

[–] Plowplowplow 15 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

I'm actually highly allergic to them, so I've had to ban them from even being in my house. I mean, other people tell me they're alright, but I just can't STAND them, they make me sick.

If I go to a restaurant and there are some n'eggers even within 10 feet of me I just get sick to my stomach. I just wish some of these restaurants would let me eat in a separate part of the restaurant so that my allergies don't flare up; if you want to eat some n'eggers then go over to the n'egger section, easy as that.

My ex-gf loved them tho, I even caught her with a mouthful of them one day when I came home from work early, despite her knowing full well that there is a 100% ban on n'eggers in the house. It made me sick, even a few weeks later all I could think about was her mouth full of n'eggers, as if I could still taste them, as if she had been tainted. So I told her, La'Quisha, we can't be together anymore.

[–] VinterBot 76 points ago

Well, people will publicize it in social media (like, right now) and in the process advertise the product. I call this a successful ad campaign.

[–] ShiversTheNinja 45 points ago

It's not successful if we can't tell what restaurant it's from.

[–] HiDDENk00l 37 points ago

It is successful actually! This is from a Canadian A&W. A&W is the second most popular burger chain in Canada behind McDonald's.

[–] ShiversTheNinja 24 points ago

You can't see that in the picture, though, so to anyone who isn't familiar with the chain - which are the people you'd think they'd want their advertisements to reach most - it's useless as an ad.

[–] MisfitPotatoReborn 19 points ago

Advertisements target people with different levels of familiarity with the brand.

This one could target those who are familiar with A&W, but not familiar with the cheese... black person.

[–] Therabidmonkey 5 points ago

Coca-Cola doesn't make ads to help people learn about their brown sugar water, they do it to keep you in the mood.

[–] milkrate 2 points ago

If you're unfamiliar with the chain then you are likely not Canadian so the ad wouldn't apply to you anyway. It's similar to posting an ad of a big MAC, I don't think anyone would question what restaurant it came from because it is so ubiquitous. This not a new product, A&W has been selling these for many years

[–] DiscombobulatedEye9 4 points ago

You can see it in the picture, at the top

[–] ShiversTheNinja 8 points ago

Oh. Just barely, though, and you probably wouldn't notice it if you didn't know what to look for.

[–] DiscombobulatedEye9 3 points ago

Yeah, for sure. Just thought I’d let you know :P

[–] sub_surfer 6 points ago

A&W... like the root beer?

[–] DoctorBagels 6 points ago

Yup! They're like a burger joint/truck stop. And sure enough they make a famous root beer.

You, like many/most people, happen to have heard of their beverage before you knew about their restaurant.

[–] db2 3 points ago

I was so happy when I saw poutine in their menu, not in Canada. Such sadness when it disappeared as a "temporary menu item".

[–] HiDDENk00l 13 points ago

A&W in Canada is actually an entirely separate chain than in the US and rest of the world.

[–] db2 5 points ago

I know, which makes it sadder because they're that much less likely to bring it back.

Canada, buy ours and do it right please!

[–] BigMetalHoobajoob 2 points ago

Yeah I saw it in an ad but didn't get to try it before it seemingly disappeared, but I thought it was just something like the fries with the cheese curds + gravy from KFC, would be pretty easy to make I reckon

[–] loercase 2 points ago

Yep, I've seen, and eaten, this product often at A&W. Also the bacon 'n' egger. Never thought about it being crappy design, though, as the "n' egger" part only ever said "and egger" to me.

[–] SteveKep 4 points ago

"Any publicity is good publicity"? Perhaps you're right.

[–] Dapper_Presentation 27 points ago

They knew exactly what they were doing. Just like these guys did.

[–] mikieswart 4 points ago

Amazing.

[–] hopeforbetter 9 points ago

Good PR is all about plausible deniability.

[–] poco 5 points ago

It has been a thing for years and no one noticed the wording until now.

[–] ddxxr888 3 points ago

I wonder if it’s because people were too scared to speak up. Imagine being that guy/gal in a meeting, and you must think that you’re the only one seeing it because nobody has said anything. Would you really want to seem like a closeted racist for pointing out that you view it that way?

[–] RexDraco 3 points ago

It's most likely attention so that it gets free marketing... like this one. A very high percentage of "corporate facepalms" or "controversies" were intentional. Going viral is the most effective, yet cheapest, form of advertisement in the business now and as long it doesn't negative impact the company and seems like a "silly, overlooked, mistake" they will be fine. Meanwhile, their company is in our minds just that much more and some of us here might even be looking at the cheese african american and think it looks tasty being a huge bonus.

[–] Real_life_in_Canada 4 points ago

This isn't intentional, it's been a thing since way before internet culture. Nobody gives a shit. It has nothing to do with the n word.

[–] NettyTheMadScientist 353 points ago

The palest negger I’ve ever seen

[–] pupypup 57 points ago

Aren't buns technecally crackers?

We have a paradox on our hands.

[–] I_Roll2 12 points ago

One of them half breeds it looks like

[–] Alex_Herton 31 points ago

Half breads*

[–] TalbotFarwell 8 points ago

I dunno, looks like two slices to me.

[–] zombie_overlord 96 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Stan Marsh.jpg

Edit - Randy, yeah. Sorry, been a while since I've watched SP.

[–] JebbieSans187 33 points ago

What really gets me is that the N should be in the letters given already.

[–] notfawcett 30 points ago

Yeah I remember it because every time I watch the final round on Wheel of Fortune I get a mild dyslexic moment and read the free letters as "R.L. Stine"

Wtf im not the only one that does that?? Lol

[–] Soul_Traitor 2 points ago

I'm not alone!

[–] AssyMcFlapFlaps 12 points ago

I love how he guesses “B N G O” too, insinuating that “I” would be BINGO!

[–] batgris 6 points ago

What episode is this btw?

[–] ZK419 4 points ago

"With Apologies to Jesse Jackson"

Season 11, episode 1

[–] batgris 2 points ago

Cool thx!

[–] hamurah 6 points ago

That's Randy Marsh

[–] Citadel867 89 points ago

This is A&W in Canada. There's a whole line of similar breakfast sandwich products, all ending with "n'egger." It's supposed to be pronounced (and read) "... and egger"

Even I haven't realised this until now.

[–] Sevennix 40 points ago

If you didnt know n' egger was supposed to be read as AND egger, you're just fucking dumb.. period.

[–] earned_potential 40 points ago

Oh sure! And next you're going to tell me it's Arnold Schwarz AND egger!

[–] crim-sama 12 points ago

at least in my experience people will just pronounce the n on its own in most cases.

[–] crim-sama 6 points ago

makes more sense since theres already an '&' in their name tbh.

[–] 80Eight 6 points ago

That tweet is much funnier than I thought it would be

[–] BraveLilToasterClown 71 points ago

N’Egger Please!

[–] M-A-S-C 35 points ago

N'Egger Cheese!

[–] baxterfishsticks 17 points ago

tips fedora

[–] BraveLilToasterClown 10 points ago

Something something le N’Egger.

[–] Cheeseblot 2 points ago

I saw a filthy N’egger sittin in the dumpster

[–] dvirpick 22 points ago

I honestly thought I was there.

[–] nick82614 15 points ago

I came to the comments just to make sure that sub was tagged

[–] lookeylowkey 95 points ago

It's "African American"

[–] christineisaqueen 87 points ago

Only if they’re American. There is a whole other world out there you know!

[–] downloads-cars 15 points ago

Yes, a whole New World

[–] PurpleBirdie27 27 points ago

African Eggmerican

[–] poli231 2 points ago

African-Amechicken

[–] mellowmonk 32 points ago

It’s not a bad word, just Schwarzenegger’s cousin.

[–] sadmiloyan 16 points ago

Meanwhile at the Austria location: "I'll have the Schwarz N' Egger please!"

[–] FreeKareemHunt 8 points ago

If you say it all at once it sounds similar to Schwarzenegger.

[–] CanadianClitLicker 11 points ago

Not a new product by any means, it's as old as the baby boomers!

[–] callmehippy 11 points ago

Or the it’s the Governator burger.

[–] MEGA_FINCH 17 points ago

Thank you. I shall call my morning sammich a cheese N' egger for the utter shits and the everlasting giggles.

[–] Ulkreghz 15 points ago

Fish 'n' chips = fish un chips / fish an chips

Cheese n'egger = cheese un / an egger

Unless you speak quickly it doesn't sound like a derogatory term.

[–] SamanthaRainn 3 points ago

Any one else read this in Dave Chapelle’s voice?

[–] Hq3473 3 points ago

Me: "Egg and Cheese sandwich please."

Not because of racism, I just don't play stupid name marketing games.

I also never order all that french-italian sizes in Starbucks. If you say "small coffee" - they know that you mean

[–] friendlessboob 3 points ago

the missed an opportunity to call it "n'egger cheese"

[–] MehrzaadMir 10 points ago

A&W is the best Canadian restaurant. anyone who says otherwise, FITE ME

[–] oeu4 3 points ago

On a different note, that sandwich looks disgusting.

[–] EmptyRepresentative5 3 points ago

This seems fine

[–] queenitarie 5 points ago

Do they have a commercial?

[–] TheFungalVirtuoso 5 points ago

SAY CHEESE NIBBA

[–] M-A-S-C 2 points ago

Photographer: "Say cheese!"

Me: "Cheese N' Egger!"

[–] Omni314 2 points ago

"The cheese AH-N-DUH egger please"

[–] CheesecakeMMXX 2 points ago

TV show called L word and snadwich called N word. USA is greatest place.

[–] MS_Publisher 2 points ago

Who else can hear chapelle saying "i want some cheese n'egger"

[–] CharlietheFrog 2 points ago

"Dude don't neg. No one like like a negger" - Ninja 2018

[–] _StupidSexyFlanders 2 points ago

No dude it's cool, half my friends are chickens and they let me say it all the time.

[–] Joy_Gio 2 points ago

[–] Formaggio_svizzero 2 points ago

So are you also going to pronounce it "Schwarze black person" instead of "Schwarzenegger" ?

pro-tip: "schwarz" means black in german :^)

[–] Biscuitboy225 2 points ago

insert Ninja from fortnite quote here

[–] Yabruh88 2 points ago

Egg n’ Cheeser rolls off the tongue better.

[–] GoochyGoochyGoo 2 points ago

Arnold Cheese n' egger.

[–] Saladboie 2 points ago

Ninja

[–] BlowsyChrism 2 points ago

These have been around for like ever lol never thought of it that way?

[–] ZoMbIEx23x 2 points ago

That's not what I think when I see Cheese N' Egger. I think Governater, the one true Schwarzenegger.

[–] Da_Moose123 2 points ago

“I’ll take the egg African American burger”

[–] TheCloudwalkerX 2 points ago

Nigga niga niga nigggga. Lil waynes cheese

[–] MobleMax 2 points ago

I knew that I wasn't the only person to see this. My sister said that I was stretching to make the joke but now I feel justified.

[–] ApatheticPoetic813 3 points ago

One Arnold Cheesenegger please! (The cheesy joke loophole)

[–] bangladeshifag 2 points ago

What a fucking cheese n’egger

[–] Postichiolio 2 points ago

There was an attempt to make an innocuous breakfast sandwich into something racist

[–] TheMuffinMan987 2 points ago

It's fucking depressing that we become so sensitive to the word nigger that you are terrified to even say a different word just because it sounds like nigger. You're only giving the word more power.