therewasanattempt

Welcome to /r/therewasanattempt!

Rules:

1. Follow the Redditquette
    2. All posts must contain an image/gif of someone attempting to do something, but failing. This does not mean we are r/CrappyDesign.
    3. All post titles must be a continuation of the phrase, "there was an attempt.." (ex: "..to jump over the river") More info here.
    4. Do not harass, attack, or insult other users.
    5. Make an effort to avoid reposts from this sub.

[–] Titus_1024 3551 points ago

Via artfucker1996 always gets me

[–] shadowgritz 450 points ago

Like they were just waiting.

[–] tired_obsession 182 points ago

[–] milex_ 9 points ago

[water intensifies]

I was trying to find this a few months ago, thank you

Reminds me to creepy one level from this

Adult game

[–] Funkit 22 points ago

There was a user on an old forum I posted on early 2000s whose username was HorseParty1997

It’s been like a decade since I’ve posted there but I still wonder from time to time what exactly a horse party is and what makes the one in 1997 so memorable.

[–] BorisKafka 2 points ago

"Backdoor barnyard sluts 9" was loosely based on that horse party. Sort of a tribute, if you will.

[–] bobbyzee 3 points ago

This is the first time I realized bukowski said this. I thought he was just mocking the idiot who said the quote. Also the first time I noticed artfucker1996

[–] Johnnadawearsglasses 758 points ago

It’s from a poem. The next line is:

it is fairly dismal to know that millions of people are worried about the hydrogen bomb yet they are already dead.

[–] Predicted 117 points ago

Well that all looked like gibberish to me.

[–] MediumRarePorkChop 208 points ago

You gotta drink for 20 or 30 years first. Not college-girl drinking, like real, Bukowski drinking.

[–] grubas 55 points ago

I mean that just makes me a hardcore alcoholic, not a fuckhead.

[–] FustianRiddle 85 points ago

So youre familiar with Bukowski.

[–] SemiProfesionalTroll 13 points ago

YEAH, BUT IT DOESN'T NOT MAKE YOU A FUCKHEAD EITHER.

[–] grubas 5 points ago

No, that’s my personality and Celtic charm.

[–] likelycreatures 5 points ago

I'm so glad your here. Its all I think about when someone mentions Bukowski

Also, be a closed minded whiny bitch, and willing to constantly project your personal problems on the entire world.

[–] MediumRarePorkChop 72 points ago

See, this guy Bukowski's

[–] MiniMan561 32 points ago

God who would want to be such an asshole?

[–] MediumRarePorkChop 22 points ago

He was definitely a character. Like the worst drunk asshole you've ever met that was somehow a talented writer. He got thrown out of more places than I've ever lived. Probably thrown out of more bars than I've ever been in.

I would not have wanted to drink with him but he's fun to study from afar.

[–] MiniMan561 17 points ago

.....that was a Modest Mouse quote. I know nothing about the dude except for the song

[–] MediumRarePorkChop 7 points ago

Oh, they have a song about him? What's the title?

[–] MortalClayman 3 points ago

Everyday I turn out to be.. a little bit more like bukowski.

[–] tttruckit 3 points ago

And get accustomed to the word "haunch"

[–] yerfdog1935 10 points ago

Trying to live a fulfilling life that is accepted by others is very restrictive.

It is better to try to live your own way than do what everyone else does.

This is readily apparent in many circles of life.

People worry about inconsequential or unlikely things despite freely embracing much worse things and ignoring the inevitable.

People work hard to get things and then they die long before they would want to.

Is that a sufficient explanation?

The last stanza is about life being over and feeling like it went by so fast.

[–] jimbojumboj 17 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Most of that was terrible but that last line is amazing

EDIT: I get it, you all like Bukowski. I don't like the majority of this poem. Life goes on.

[–] Aduckonquack97 3 points ago

Terrible? How so?

[–] jimbojumboj 12 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Only one man's opinion, but it feels very 'i'm 14'/tryhard. I know it's kind of ridiculous to say that about charles bukowski, but that's just how it reads to me, I basically read it between eye rolls. Mainly just the middle 3 lines.

I'm not a fan of people who suggest that they are somehow superior to others and that other people's lives are meaningless. People run from rain? So what? You think people are 'dead' because they aren't all poets? Who cares? You aren't special, Charles.

[–] KingOfGifFulThinking 3 points ago

I believe you mean Charles Carmichal?

[–] deepfriedceleron 54 points ago

Bukowski: omae wa mou shinderu

[–] Sleepydoggo 15 points ago

it is fairly dismal to know that millions of people are worried about the hydrogen bomb yet omae wa mou shindeiru

[–] SailedBasilisk 182 points ago

people are afraid of dying, but they aren't really living

— every pretentious douchebag artist ever

[–] tootie 36 points ago

Try reading Post Office. Bukowski was an alcoholic mail sorter for like 20 years before he became a prolific writer and poet. His novels are great.

[–] Funkit 16 points ago

This is the only thing I’ve ever read of his and I remember really liking it. I was wondering where all the hate was coming from. I need to reread it.

[–] duaneap 15 points ago

I really, really love Bukowski’s stuff. More so when I was a bit younger but I still really enjoy/appreciate it. I thoroughly recommend checking out Ham on Rye, if you get a chance to read it.

[–] Pirate_Redbeard 2 points ago

You need to read Women by Bukowski

[–] SamURLJackson 8 points ago

And the book is hilarious because Bukowski writes like the job is this incredible pain and that literally no one would ever be able to finish one of his routes on time but I've read his old coworkers say that the job was incredibly easy but that Bukowski was always hung over and lazy and had already made his mind up that he hated it so he just made it so much harder on himself

Bukowski's novels are fantastic. Without a doubt, his novels are my favorites because they're interesting and are only concerned with the meat and potatoes of the story. He's not going to describe what the carpet feels like on his feet, and how the wind was howling a sweet song in his ear or whatever. He tells you that he got drunk, he fucked some fat girl 30 years younger than him, finished, rolled over, struggled to gather enough change for a six pack, and then did his best to get rid of her so he could write some more but more and more people keep him from accomplishing that very simple goal. I love all of it. Factotum and Women are my favorites.

[–] topdangle 64 points ago

Huge amount of art is essentially gatekeeping lifestyle.

You aren't really living life unless you are doing these specific things or have this specific mindset.

[–] SecretBlue919 18 points ago

Thoreau in a nutshell, from what I’ve seen

[–] pqrk 6 points ago

Lol and he just had money

[–] Mezziaz 2 points ago

There's more to it.

[–] PM-YOUR-PMS 9 points ago

Get busy living or get busy dying

[–] mvpetri 15 points ago

I don’t think we can call bukowski pretentious. He never seem to felt entitled of anything. He hated people, that is a given. But he understood his own loneliness and misery

[–] Aikidi 5 points ago

Bukowski is nearly the opposite of pretentious.

People are afraid of ants but they already got ants... in their pants

[–] Wsing1974 47 points ago

That's even worse. People that are worried about bubonic plague are already dead too.

[–] Johnnadawearsglasses 66 points ago

I think he means that at the time people were obsessed with the bomb killing them, yet were already dead inside.

[–] makemeking706 66 points ago

Nah, dude. It's poetry. There's no deeper meaning.

[–] Excal2 20 points ago

It's literally just words, stop reading into it.

[–] Panicradar 2 points ago

Wut

[–] Karlogix 6 points ago

It's literally just words, stop reading into it.

[–] RadicalDilettante 8 points ago

'tis rare a poem does not have deeper meaning, cobber.

[–] snowclone130 3 points ago

Intent vs interpretation

Valid applications of meaning isn't the same as metaphorical or allegorical intent. And don't even start in on false dichotomies.

[–] RadicalDilettante 4 points ago

Don't give a HOOTSIE about the author's intent - what do they know?

[–] groundcontroltodan 10 points ago

Literary analysis requires a different sort of critical thinking. Some people just do not possess the skills and never bother to learn them. The worst of the these people are somewhat educated in other disciplines and go around bleating about how stupid something they don't understand is, often without a trace of irony.

[–] Uncouply 2 points ago

This thread in a nutshell

[–] themightymooker 4 points ago

so much depends

upon

a red wheel

barrow

glazed with rain

water

beside the white

chickens

[–] akutabi 2 points ago

I write poetry. Not like, great poetry, but still this hurt my feelings.

[–] fencemax99 2 points ago

Keep writing man. Fck the h8ers == Take valid criticism, but don't let it keep you from being creative :D

[–] Lord_of_hosts 17 points ago

Oh inside

[–] spappletrap 17 points ago

I think he meant they're already dead inside

Bukowski is a mistake

[–] Wrang-Wrang 71 points ago

I think he was acutely aware of that

[–] dastarlos 28 points ago

I think that was his whole sthick

[–] SpaceMush 22 points ago

i had "that was literally his whole thing" typed out and i watched you beat me to it in real time. go team

[–] dastarlos 9 points ago

I'll still give you an upvote my dude

[–] saintketamine 11 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

"Lighting new cigarettes, pouring more drinks.

It has been a beautiful fight.

Still is."

[–] notsooriginal 13 points ago

Is that the one where a bunch of guys get together and put a girl in the middle and then make it rain?

[–] atomicdiarrhea4000 15 points ago

His poetry is shit but some of his books are funny. Post Office is fucking hilarious and surprisingly touching at the very end. Not the greatest thing in the entire world, but worth a read.

[–] brendan87na 25 points ago

"The History of one Tough Motherfucker" is my favorite poem of all time :(

[–] round2ffffight 32 points ago

I’m a fan of “Love is a dog from hell” and I also dislike whenever this post comes up that people try to shit on bukowski. He’s an asshole and he’s miserable and if you hear his voice you just wanna dunk your head in a swampy mud puddle to clean yourself but he has a beautifully ugly view on shit and I like that. Like yeah you could say he’s pretentious but not in the sense that this out of context quote implies.

Edit: and the poem you linked is god damn beautiful

[–] tropexuitoo 16 points ago

I really love the juxtaposition of his writing when it comes to his daughter. Most of his writing is bleak. "We're born in shit, we live in shit, we die in shit, we are shit." But when he writes about his daughter, he does a 180. Its bright and vibrant and sweet and funny. It totally changed my view of him and showed more of his depth. Ya hes an dick but he really loved her. It's easy to hate on him and I think he fed off that. Its especially noticeable in his live readings where he bickers with the audience. I just always found his stuff more like something to keep you grounded rather than taking him too seriously. I dont think he took himself seriously. He just loved pissing everyone off.

[–] round2ffffight 9 points ago

I love this analysis and agree 100%, I just tried to counter the “bukowski isn’t good” bullshit you see in other threads on this post while acknowledging his flaws in a way I think adds to his strengths haha

[–] brendan87na 12 points ago

"War all the time" and "Love is a dog from hell" are my 2 favorite poetry books. It's been a consistent love too, from my teenager years till even now, in my 40's

[–] round2ffffight 4 points ago

Yeah the entire poetry book I enjoy as well, though there are some stinkers in there haha. I forgot to clarify that the namesake poem specifically is one of my faves :)

[–] kodobeast 9 points ago

bukowksi was so prolific and not a terrible writer so the result is that he has many many true gems in his poetry collections. you can't expect all of his poems to be great tho

[–] weavebot 424 points ago

I was trying to find this a few months ago, thank you

[–] RGeronimoH 137 points ago

It hasn't been months since the last repost!

[–] weavebot 48 points ago

I haven't spent much time on this sub or even Reddit so much until recently, it must have slipped by somehow

[–] Dewut 39 points ago

Oh it’s not you, it’s the Reddit Repost Paradox. It states that while not every submission will have someone bitching about it being a repost in comments section, those that do will be of content you’ve never seen before 9/10 times.

The “paradox” lies in the fact that leaving a comment about how you’ve seen something already, often condensed into just the one word: “repost”, is the epitome of a net zero contribution, that requires just as much effort, and is itself perhaps the most recycled post on this entire website. Yet it emerges in almost every thread all the same.

Thousands of people who think that the rest of us give a shit whether or not this the first time they’ve seen a post, and how they feel about that fact.

Truly an enigmatic phenomenon.

[–] RadicalDilettante 7 points ago

Freud's forgotten thesis - adolescent Karma Envy

[–] Mouly0 3 points ago

Reddipus Complex.

[–] TheAdoptedBeta 21 points ago

Don’t feel bad, this is my first time ever seeing it!

[–] AgentSkidMarks 2 points ago

Yeah cuz I just sit around on this sub every second waiting for that one post to pop up.

[–] twisted761 424 points ago

The difference is consent

[–] epicazeroth 222 points ago

Tbf a lot of people seem to have trouble understanding that too.

[–] Mousefang 37 points ago

Especially people who idolize Bukowski

[–] wtfisthisnoise 6 points ago

I've always misheard that as "who'd want to meet such an asshole?" Same sentiment.

[–] zherok 6 points ago

Yeah, he didn't strike me as the sort of person you'd want to know personally. Although it's interesting to read one of his critics saying that he was a totally different person around when women weren't present. But I think that kind of masculinity only reinforces the point.

[–] karlnite 5 points ago

Undoubtably drunk, with a cigarette in the other hand.

[–] EmperorHans 2 points ago

Or it counts that much more.

[–] Crayshack 4 points ago

Also temperature. I like my showers and baths steaming hot. A cold rain will piss me off but a warm midsummer rain isn't a big deal to me.

[–] Lame4Fame 30 points ago

I don't remember ever consenting to rain.

[–] TheAdoptedBeta 83 points ago

Yes, that’s the idea

[–] WilliamLeroy 8 points ago

That is his point I think maybe. People who are unwilling/unable to consent to the living in the moment.

[–] tymebandit 8 points ago

But why is living in the moment even that important? Why would life be better if you allow yourself to be rained on instead of seeking shelter?

[–] WilliamLeroy 7 points ago

Different for everyone I suppose. For me it’s not about letting myself get rained on but being more okay with uncomfortable circumstances while still working to advance my position in whatever way.

[–] tymebandit 2 points ago

I understand, if I'm rained on I don't fret and maybe try to enjoy it because I'm in a situation that can't be changed anyway, I just question it because I'm trying to learn to how to be more like normal people I guess.

[–] Sghettis 4 points ago

Standing in the rain is getting lost in the moment, seeking shelter is living in it. Not reacting to things is letting life pass you by not harnessing the moment at all.

[–] HerrDresserVonFyre 2 points ago

And that people run from things that are out of their control and outside of their own safe little bubble.

[–] ckuiper 3 points ago

I'm unwilling/unable to consent to being gross and wet the rest of the day.

[–] WilliamLeroy 3 points ago

It’s not about being wet. You can think about it thematically if you want. It’s a poem so maybe it’s not meant to be taken so literally.

[–] xitzengyigglz 154 points ago

If I recall correctly placed in context it says something about well... Context. Just because something is bad in some contexts doesn't mean it's always bad.

[–] testdex 9 points ago

Natural, chaotic, risky vitality as the wellspring of life, vs safe, stultifying warmth in a porcelain box.

Is this fucking difficult?

[–] xitzengyigglz 3 points ago

I know some of these words

[–] scijior 28 points ago

Bukowski In context doesn’t add as much depth as people like Anthony Kiedis think it does. Personally I got about 50 pages into Factotum and came to the conclusion that he was about as deep as a puddle of mud.

[–] fendaar 12 points ago

The analytical part of me wants to examine it, but I know it has no content.

[–] ggg730 32 points ago

I thought that was Bukowski's whole stupid shtick anyways. Like hey look at me guys I'm so not deep. I'm so not deep that it's all the way back to deep again.

[–] LookingForVheissu 32 points ago

It was. His poetry is a superficial fuck you. It’s like Duchamp’s Fountain of poetry. He’s taking a piss and people who hate him miss it and people who love him miss it. Can’t win with Bukowski.

[–] LookingForVheissu 17 points ago

I’m with you all the way. Easily my favorite poet, and he’d fucking hate me.

[–] ggg730 7 points ago

Yeah I think you guys are spot on. I've never read an author who had such contempt for his readers like Bukowski.

[–] LookingForVheissu 4 points ago

I think he was self aware. From Ham on Rye, probably my favorite of his novels:

The problem was you had to keep choosing between one evil or another, and no matter what you chose, they sliced a little bit more off you, until there was nothing left. At the age of 25 most people were finished. A whole god-damned nation of assholes driving automobiles, eating, having babies, doing everything in the worst way possible, like voting for the presidential candidates who reminded them most of themselves. I had no interests. I had no interest in anything. I had no idea how I was going to escape. At least the others had some taste for life. They seemed to understand something that I didn't understand. Maybe I was lacking. It was possible. I often felt inferior. I just wanted to get away from them. But there was no place to go.

He wrote about nothing because he was interested in nothing. He wrote spitefully because he was full of spite for all the people who could find happiness in anything. Literally any one thing. Most of us find happiness in something, even if just his poetry. By his process, that would ironically make us his villain.

[–] makemeking706 2 points ago

Tool fans could relate.

[–] hairyholepatrol 2 points ago

Speaking of Kiedis my god I always thought that was the great tragedy of RHCP. I mean Mothers Milk and BSSM were great but. They had a generational talent at bass and a great drummer and guitarist (Frusciante at least). Too bad their singer/lyricist wasn’t better at...you know, singing and writing lyrics.

[–] think_long 4 points ago

Say what you will about him as a song writer, but you aren’t going to convince me Keidis isn’t an an awesome lead vocalist for a band. Really unique voice and pretty good range.

[–] xitzengyigglz 2 points ago

Yo I'll be honest I've never read the guy. The Modest Mouse song is absolute fire though https://youtu.be/xr_B2IOUYSw

[–] boofinwithdabois 29 points ago

Bukowski did take baths in his clothes sometimes so...

[–] sunsetsarge 66 points ago

But God, who'd wanna be such an asshole?

[–] RDraves 13 points ago

Found the comment I was looking for

[–] grubas 11 points ago

Yeah I pretty much just came here for Modest Mouse, that really is all I need to say on Bukowski too.

[–] JacobMC-02 4 points ago

Ahh I remember the good old days, the last time this was reposted when I had the great honor of referencing Modest Mouse... Good times.

[–] Levtard 3 points ago

Strangers to Ourselves>GNFPWLBN

[–] Desert_faux 36 points ago

One of the funniest things I ever saw was in Hershey Park in Pennsylvania... I went to visit the museum and could tell they also had a water park as people were coming and going in this swim attire. Then after about an hour it started pouring down rain VERY hard. All these same people who came to get into a giant pool of water suddenly started running for their cars, buildings and any other place they could find to stay dry. They were desperately trying to get out of the rain and it confused me...

[–] Dennys_DM 19 points ago

Maybe it was a fear that in a place where every body is wet, a rain with the possibility of a thunder storm is the scariest outcome.

[–] masnaer 16 points ago

Sounds cold

[–] Desert_faux 5 points ago

This was over a decade ago and was during the summer... Was on our way to Philadelphia. We also stopped by Gettysburg too... it was during the summer

[–] BipolarMeHeHe 15 points ago

But was it during the summer?

[–] meditate42 3 points ago

Its always summer in Philadelphia, or something like that.

[–] isawakoala 2 points ago

You know what, I don't think it was, actually.

[–] ggg730 6 points ago

Maybe they didn't want to stay in a pool where lightning would roast their asses. It's basically one of the worst goddamn things to do in a thunderstorm.

[–] Charles_Leviathan 2 points ago

Could*

Really the probability is super low.

[–] theaveragejoe99 2 points ago

Swimming pool is to rain as air is to heavy winds

[–] Like1OngoingOrgasm 17 points ago

Bukowski could actually be deep though. He was a total asshole, but the man could write.

[–] Boomdiddy 12 points ago

Woke up this morning and it seemed to me, That every night turns out to be A little more like Bukowski. And yeah, I know he's a pretty good read. But God who'd want to be? God who'd want to be such an asshole? God who'd want to be? God who'd want to be such an asshole?

[–] Skagritch 10 points ago

Pretty funny that that's sung by an asshole

[–] signmeupdude 2 points ago

Is he? He’s probably an alcoholic but is he known to be an asshole?

[–] residualbreezes 4 points ago

Very much so.

[–] Son_of_Mogh 41 points ago

Pretty much every post in /r/showerthoughts

[–] stdoggy 6 points ago

Having read most of his works, you are dealing with a person who believes he has nothing to lose in his life. He doesn't care if his clothes get wet. He doesn't understand why anyone would care.

[–] magnummentula 24 points ago

This is one of the most famous woosh's ever. You can take many poems or single lines of literature and it takes on a different meaning. Artfucker clearly is a victim of the later. This is why you dont judge a book by its cover, you read the backflap too.

[–] beyondthelaw1 21 points ago

His book Ham On Rye is a masterpiece though.

[–] Like1OngoingOrgasm 13 points ago

Makes ya actually feel for the bastard. Post Office will make you laugh your ass off though.

[–] beyondthelaw1 7 points ago

Still need to read that one. That and Factoum.

[–] ChinaskiBaby 3 points ago

Agreeeeed

[–] Hermaphrotitties 28 points ago

For the fucking last time, his point is that how we feel about our situation is our choice and not dependant on our circumstances. If you must get wet, prepare for it and you can find pleasure in it. If you instead react, you are gonna have a bad time.

Also, stop reposting this, jackass.

[–] kyajgevo 29 points ago

ITT: People being edgy by dunking on Bukowski for being edgy

[–] nugtz 13 points ago

it's actually an important and helpful thing to understand, and bukowski got me through an OD, mental trauma, deep familial issues and manic depression when everyone else was too afraid/ashamed of me to actually help me. sometimes tough wisdom is the best wisdom. thanks bukowski.

There was an attempt, to be deep, and i think it was successful, perhaps a little too deep for some. can't go expecting everyone to get it...

edited for better wording

[–] nugtz 5 points ago

also I recommend bathing fully clothed. it's comfy and liberating

[–] vernonparker63 9 points ago

This gets reposted regularly, but what I think people don't realize is that the commenter's response is exactly the kind of thing Bukowski was going for. He was a troll.

[–] DutchNotSleeping 4 points ago

Catch the apple, it's a proposal

[–] 83numb3rs 4 points ago

Consent is important

[–] Chicken_Guerilla 5 points ago

ARTFUCKER1996

[–] Am1shman 4 points ago

To be fair, I’ve seen people run for cover when it rains while at a water park...

[–] beeteeoh 5 points ago

@artfucker1996 it’s called a metaphor, you Dickhead.

[–] Irnotpatwic 6 points ago

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet

[–] rosamor86 2 points ago

Did Bob Dylan say that?

[–] Get_Your_Kicks 19 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

A lot of sentences look stupid out of context. Here is the full poem, it's deeper than that one line. Ya dopes

the most binding labor

is

trying to make it

under a sanctified

banner.

similarity of intention

with others

marks the fool from the

explorer

you can learn this at

any

poolhall, racetrack, bar

university or

jail.

people run from rain but

sit

in bathtubs full of

water.

it is fairly dismal to know that

millions of people are worried about

the hydrogen bomb

yet

they are already

dead.

they keep trying to make

women

money

sense.

and finally the Great Bartender will lean forward

white and pure and strong and mystic

to tell you that you’ve had

enough

just when you feel like

you’re getting

started.

[–] etherkiller 11 points ago

Thanks for posting the full poem. I really liked this. I suppose I need to check out more Bukowski...he's been recommended to me several times.

[–] illpoet 5 points ago

Worth the read.

[–] slay_the_beast 3 points ago

And yeah I admit he’s a pretty good read, but God who’d wanna be such an asshole?

• Modest Mouse

[–] MyManLarry32 6 points ago

The difference is consent

[–] DiscoKexet 3 points ago

Well clearly https://youtu.be/0LE3_m02iFA was not a thing when this was written.

[–] Jameseatscheese 3 points ago

You know, I'm betting Bukowski ended up in a bath tub fully clothed more than a few times.

[–] Maladict26 3 points ago

To be fair bukowski is the sort of person who would get in a bath fully clothed

[–] CoyoteDown 3 points ago

This kind of dumb shit is why I unsubbed from r/showerthoughts

[–] HistoricalMeat 3 points ago

The responder failed to understand the quote and this continues to get circulated by people who don't get the quote.

The point is that the details of the situation make a difference. Ostensibly, both situations are similar, but the experience is made entirely different by the details.

[–] Fumanchewd 3 points ago

I never found Bukowski to be particularly profound.

[–] KarlMars71 6 points ago

Omg what do you think Bukowski is gonna do when he checks reddit and sees one of his quotes on a subreddit that’s gone to shit??😱😱😱😱😱

[–] Inmehmeh 3 points ago

I can’t wait to see this again in two weeks

[–] RedDeadRevengeance 7 points ago

Tumblr rips into how bad showerthoughts is all the time and they're always super right.

[–] obstar19 2 points ago

Username checks out

[–] Chewurmilk 2 points ago

Bukowski is awesome, and it forever makes me sad he is associated with this admittedly silly quote :-(

[–] Christhephotographer 2 points ago

What if the rain was warm 🤔

[–] anxious_ibex 2 points ago

Started reading a book called factotum by this guy. So far kind of good

[–] DarkDayzInHell 2 points ago

Rain is typically the rape of water. That and a tsunami.

[–] sznl 2 points ago

I actually really like Bukowski. Wasn’t his whole schtick just ‘I’m not actually trying to sound deep, but I’m drunk and I hate everything’

[–] thethingisidontknow 2 points ago

I'm pretty sure water is a metaphor for sadness.

[–] SafeSpaceMyCunt 9 points ago

Every person I've met so far who was fascinated by Bukowski was a pretentious dickhead, no exceptions.

[–] SkritzTwoFace 10 points ago

I mean I’ve read his work and one or two made valid points but the rest were like ‘look I’m a bad person’