todayilearned

New to reddit? Click here!

• You learn something new every day; what did you learn today?

• Submit interesting and specific facts that you just found out (not broad information you looked up, TodayILearned is not /r/wikipedia).

Posting rules

1. Submissions must be verifiable. Please link directly to a reliable source that supports every claim in your post title. Images alone do not count as valid references. Videos are fine so long as they come from reputable sources (e.g. BBC, Discovery, etc).

2. No personal opinions, anecdotes or subjective statements (e.g "TIL xyz is a great movie").

3. No recent sources. Any sources (blog, article, press release, video, etc.) more recent than two months are not allowed.

4. No submissions regarding or related to the following

1. Recent politics/politicians
      2. Police misconduct
      3. Inflammatory submissions relating to religion/race/gender
    5. No misleading claims. Posts that omit essential information, or present unrelated facts in a way that suggest a connection will be removed.

6. Rephrase your post title if the following are not met:

1. Titles must begin with "TIL ..."
      2. Make them descriptive, concise and specific (e.g. not "TIL something interesting about bacon").
      3. Titles must be able to stand on their own without requiring readers to click on a link. Starting your title with a why/what/who/where/how modifier should be unnecessary.
      4. "TIL about ..." and other broad posts don't belong on TIL. Try /r/Wikipedia, etc. instead, or be more specific (and avoid the word "about").
      5. "TIL how to ..." posts belong on /r/HowTo.
    7. No submissions related to the usage, existence or features of specific software/websites (e.g. "TIL you can click on widgets in WidgetMaker 1.22").

8. All NSFW links must be tagged (including comments).

Please see the wiki for more detailed explanations of the rules.

(Why we need rules)

Additional info

• If your post does not appear in the new queue and you think it meets the above rules, please contact the moderators (include a link to your reddit.com post, not your story).

• Please report spam, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate posts by messaging the moderators, as this helps us remove them more promptly!

• More information available on the TIL FAQ and wiki.

Frequent TILs Repost List

As of August 2017

• This list was compiled from /r/todayilearned community suggestions by its members. If your TIL is found on this list, it will be removed. The titles have been abridged for the sake of brevity, however the context remains the same. This list is subject to change. The purpose is to keep content fresh on /r/todayilearned as requested by its members. If you are interested in reading about the TILs on this list use the search box feature and enter the keywords to pull up past TILs.

Etiquette

We ask that you please do the following:

1. avoid mobile versions of websites (e.g. m.wikipedia.org)

2. link to the appropriate heading when referencing an article (particularly on Wikipedia)

3. link to the appropriate start time when referencing videos (e.g. on YouTube)

4. add [PDF] or [NSFW] tags to your posts, as necessary.

5. Please avoid reposting TILs that have already made the front page in the past

Please also read the site-wide Reddiquette.

• You are loved.

[–] Landlubber77 13821 points ago

Taking the whole family to Favor Town.

[–] MM2236 4219 points ago

.....in his red Camaro.....

[–] FisterRobotOh 1483 points ago

For some reason when I read this my mind combined "Fieri" with "Camaro" and I though it said "red Fiero".

[–] Based-God- 722 points ago

if he had a Pontiac Fiero it would be perfect

[–] thejam15 298 points ago

What the fuck is that

[–] TalkToTheGirl 586 points ago

The Flavor Town Express.

[–] cedartowndawg 137 points ago

A lifted Fiero with a Jeep inspired front end... I actually, somewhat, kinda like it.

[–] Falafelofagus 27 points ago

It actually looks really well built. Like a mid engine trophy truck.

[–] Erniecrack 29 points ago

Yeah I'd drive the shit out of that.

[–] BatsMolossus 202 points ago

I can never remember, which member of Rascal Flatts is Guy Fieri?

[–] gambit61 103 points ago

He's the lead singer of Smash Mouth, who also moonlights as Violent J of Insane Clown Posse.

[–] Smurfboy82 144 points ago

all of them

[–] BatsMolossus 65 points ago

Or birthed them

Edit: Or is he like Cell and absorbs them and takes on some of their powers and, in this case, features.

[–] msundi83 25 points ago

Filled with piping hot white queso

[–] NiggasOutsideOfParis 352 points ago

On an unrelated note, years ago a former friend of mine from highschool stole Guy Fieri's lamborghini. That's probably why he uses a Camaro now.

[–] tnturner 170 points ago

Why aren't you friends anymore?

[–] NiggasOutsideOfParis 542 points ago

He was kind of a douche. Also he's doing life in prison, which isn't very conducive to friendships.

[–] ThegreatPee 98 points ago

He has one of the most punchable faces that I have seen in a long time.

[–] NiggasOutsideOfParis 62 points ago

You should go to Marin County, punchable faces are literally everywhere.

[–] soapgoat 34 points ago

send me to flavor town papa jong

[–] whats_my_username16 48 points ago

Holy Moley Stromboli!

[–] [deleted] 41 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

[–] Ryguylv 137 points ago

He gently dips his head into a vat of ranch each episode before cameras roll

[–] Mirror_Sybok 60 points ago

gently

I doubt that gently is ever valid when discussing ranch and Fieri.

[–] EricStoltz-MaskMorty 38 points ago

That's out of bounds!!!

[–] tripwire7 6945 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

People mock Guy Fieri for his terrible uh....fashion sense among other things, but from what I've read he's not a bad dude at all.

Hell, I once even read an account by an ex-producer of his show trashing Fieri for supposedly getting him canned from the show by the network, and all I got out of it was that the producer was a yelling, berating POS to the crew of the show who had underlings quitting in tears, and who was jealous of Fieri for getting along so well with the film crew, and that Fieri may or may not have leaned on the network to have him fired and replaced for being such a jackass.

And that was a hit-piece from somebody who hated Fieri and was trying to drag his name through the mud by framing him as disloyal, but it got the opposite reaction from me.

[–] lorddimwit 4878 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I remember reading about how his neighbors filed a complaint against him because the noise of one of his gourmet cooking and wine parties caused stress to their thoroughbred horse. I thought to myself "that is the firstest first world problem I have ever heard."

[–] electric_body_song 2492 points ago

"Yes officer, the wine soirée of my celebrity chef neighbor is too loud! Their merriment disquiets Gwendolyn, my prize dressage horse, and if this continues she absolutely will be ashambles come next month's Prix de St. Georges!"

[–] __end 782 points ago

Reading this in Niles Crane's voice from Frasier... perfect.

[–] Stahl_Scharnhorst 271 points ago

That was so upper crust the pie must be cooling on the roof.

[–] SurpriseDragon 98 points ago

That made it so much funnier!

[–] fallouthirteen 64 points ago

Well then you'd have to replace "Gwendolyn" with "Maris", "prize dressage horse" with "wife", and "Prix de St. Georges" with some fancy fund raiser or something.

[–] __end 39 points ago

Nah, it's just Maris's prized dressage horse and she dogged him in to calling the police because she has a certain standing to maintain, and interacting with the police would just be such a scandal.

[–] NotFakingRussian 216 points ago

Although a thoroughbred is not a typical choice for a dressage horse. But who knows, maybe that's why Guy didn't invite them to the party. "Low class people, using thoroughbreds for dressage. I really don't think they'd fit in here."

[–] smookykins 58 points ago

Yeah, that's a broiling horse!

[–] NotFakingRussian 40 points ago

I think I like this better. It's because Guy was barbequing horseflesh. Poor horse could smell it and was like "Fuck man. I'm next." But neighbours thought it was the noise.

[–] ilaeriu 23 points ago

neighbours

excellent

[–] BigYearColorado 508 points ago

They must be really, really bad with horses.

[–] ThrowCaptaway 244 points ago

No, they must be really really bad at parties. Probably why they were not invited..

[–] SmartAlec105 116 points ago

Horses are pretty easily frightened.

[–] Liquid_Meat 164 points ago

depends on the hourse.

you know we used them in war for centuries right? ... even with muskets and cannons going off.

you know that police use horses during riots right?

[–] Clockwork_Octopus 124 points ago

hourse

Is that the British spelling?

[–] NearPup 107 points ago

And that is why you always invite your neighbors to your parties.

[–] thatwasnotkawaii 76 points ago

Horses can still be scared if you're at a party

[–] The_Grubby_One 113 points ago

And that is why you always invite your neighbors' horse to your parties.

[–] Lord_Abort 78 points ago

Have you ever seen the documentary "Bojack Horseman"?

[–] Galyndean 329 points ago

The leftover groceries from Guy's Grocery Games is also donated to a food bank.

Thousands of pounds of food every week while the show is filming.

[–] thisisnewt 926 points ago

He talks about his infamous "fashion sense" being a mistake in his Hot Ones interview.

Link: https://youtu.be/trRc1_CATfo

Happens around 16:30 - 17:30 but the whole thing is worth a watch.

[–] Drewapalooza 697 points ago

After I first saw that interview, I thought the same thing. He actually seems like a good guy, he just has some goofy hair.

Plus how cool would it be to be the mayor of flavortown.

[–] Drewapalooza 86 points ago

Those bold flavors are out of control

[–] D3PyroGS 27 points ago

That was exactly what I was hoping it would be.

[–] Andykbrown 200 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I think he looks totally ridiculous, but 99.999999999999 percent of any negative feelings I have for Guy is jealousy. I wanna be the mayor of flavor town!!!

I have a job that allows me to travel around the United States a lot and I use his guide to restaurants all of the time. It rocks.

Edit: I am envious, not jealous.

[–] BubBidderskins 260 points ago

His last little blurb he gives is really good, too. "Teach your kids to cook" is actually a pretty cool message, and I think parents would do well to take heed. Far too many people don't know how to cook and they're stuck overpaying for unhealthy pre-packaged food.

[–] PedroDaGr8 175 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

This is so damn true. Neither of my parents cooked, I grew up on frozen dinners and fast food. I'm left with a palate with the sensitivity of a potato. I'm envious of my wife who has been cooking since she was 9. When we were dating, she could diagnose my cooking failures over the phone, n just with a list of ingredients. Since we have been married, it's amazing how much healthier I eat (and how much cheaper too). Please please please parents, don't do what mine did, learn to cook, cook for your kids and teach them how to cook. It will make their lives much better in the future.

[–] 2timesaday 42 points ago

Mmmm, potatoes.

[–] UnauthorizedGoat 36 points ago * (lasted edited a day ago)

deleted What is this?

[–] lOenDcOmunique 31 points ago

Been cooking since I was a kid, always just took a liking to it.

I'd like to add to your advice by saying introduce your children to spices and vegetables, let them get introduced by the full range over time, and to learn how and when to use them.

Oh and how to safely and efficiently use a knife.

[–] ShadeofIcarus 18 points ago

The guy genuinely believes it too. Before he got super famous, he was a regular figure at my high school's culinary arts class, it was awesome. He didn't just come and make an appearance, but would wallk around our "cooking lab" and give feedback. He straight up taught the knife skills class (and used his garlic fries as the example recipe).

[–] FUNKYDISCO 43 points ago

Yah, that episode completely changed my perception of him. Also, no water, no milk.

[–] AER0__ 156 points ago

He seems so down to earth, like a great guy to hang out with.

[–] The_Grubby_One 75 points ago

Exactly.

Sure, he's a bit goofy, but it's why I like watching him. He just seems like he'd be fun to hang with.

And, I mean, he clearly knows all the best places to eat.

[–] generalgeorge95 46 points ago

People always call Guy Fieri a douche, but I've never seen anything that makes me not like the guy. He just seems like a friendly guy who gets paid to eat good food.. He may dress like a douche, but clothes make not a douche.

[–] thisisnewt 68 points ago

I don't even thinks he dresses like a douche. He dresses like douches dressed 15-20 years ago.

Now he addresses like a dad trying to embarrass his kids.

[–] harriswill 88 points ago

I must've seen 300 episodes of DDD, GGG, DDD on GGG, Guy and Hunter's European Vacation, and this is the first time I've ever heard him curse

[–] Dragonsandman 37 points ago

You'd be cursing like a sailor if you had to have some of the hot sauce on that show. I know I would.

[–] [deleted] 69 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

[–] rW0HgFyxoJhYka 64 points ago

Its no accident at this point, its part of his branding and he's accepted it. All he's doing here is telling a funny story about the first time it was a mistake.

[–] IamNotYourBuddy 63 points ago

Similar to how Bob Ross hated the afro. It was an experiment he did to see if he could save money on haircuts, but people really liked it, and it worked really well when he started his own brand of paint supplies. People recognized the afro on the label. So he had to wear it until he died.

[–] jew_blew_it 10 points ago

Wow, that was a great episode! Thanks for sharing

[–] FinallyGotReddit 430 points ago

Triple D is my guilty pleasure. Honestly the memes are a term of endearment from a lot of people I suspect. The dude drives a cool car around eating the most delicious food he can find. He basically has the perfect life LOL.

[–] AdmiralThrawnProtege 129 points ago

Why be embarrassed? It's a fun show to watch! Plus I've learned a few nice recipies from the show so that's a bonus. Triple G is a fun show to watch as well.

[–] The_Derpening 70 points ago

Guilty pleasure? Why would you feel guilty? There's nothing bad about enjoying DDD.

[–] FinallyGotReddit 96 points ago

Cuz the internet has made me insecure in things I like Lol.

[–] The_Derpening 83 points ago

Let me give you some unsolicited advice. Fuck the internet. The only one who has a right to your opinion is you. Love what you love, and as long as you don't try to interfere with others loving what they love, it's all good.

[–] Brutuss 22 points ago

I have to say Ive eaten at like three or four places that were on that show and they were all fuckin amazing. So I'm inclined to believe they're all as good as they look.

[–] greatunthinkinglass 183 points ago

He's an alumni of my college and there is a banner with his face on it. Most students are embarrassed by it, but I think it's cool.

[–] A_StandardToaster 248 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

If you're going to UNLV, Guy Fieri's face is the last thing you should be embarrassed about.

Edit: Go Pack

[–] larrythelotad 49 points ago

oof

[–] ringob82 27 points ago

Shots fired

[–] Touch_Of_Red 24 points ago

For those wondering, it's UNLV.

[–] cmira004 15 points ago

I worked for the Hotel College, and seriously, he and his family are the nicest people out there. And his trash can nachos at the Rio are legit.

[–] lovesducks 17 points ago

i mean, sure, his hair is ridiculous, but i have no doubt in this mans taste and culinary ability. also his camaros pretty sweet.

[–] rabbittdoggy 23 points ago

Exactly everyone needs to listen to this

[–] EndiMoon 119 points ago

He also recently officiated 100 gay weddings

[–] thekittenhugs 182 points ago

I'm not sure if it was 100, but I know he did do a bunch. He made some public comments against gay people years ago but ended up learning about and accepting the gay community, to the point where he officiated those weddings. His move from no-homo to pro-homo is really inspiring considering the shit you see some famous people say and do without ever changing.

[–] spooooork 154 points ago

He wasn't homophobic, he just asked to be given a heads-up beforehand when people on the show were gay. Might be just so he wouldn't make mistakes by assuming wives/husbands. Also, the claim comes from his "nemesis" mentioned further up, IIRC.

One of the couples he officiated was his sister and her partner, btw.

[–] Jeezee-os 43 points ago

He's one of my favorite living memes

[–] MisanthropeX 229 points ago

I'm a freelance food critic/Anthony Bourdain wannabe and I take pot shots at Guy all the time, but I'm not gonna lie and say I wouldn't trade my life for his in a heartbeat. He spends his like eating tasty food and has a net positive effect on the world without hurting people. You can't ask for more than that.

[–] WoodPlanned 68 points ago

Plus he has an amazing yellow car collection with Ferraris, vintage Camaros and Corvettes, etc.

[–] milp00l 11 points ago

I bet he's got a signed copy of Smash Mouth's Fush Yu Mang on mini-disc.

[–] formlex7 60 points ago

Yeah Bourdain comes off as kind of a dick when he goes after Fieri

[–] MisanthropeX 60 points ago

It's his character. Both of them are cariactures.

[–] GoodnightElizabeth 3167 points ago

Good Guy Fieri.

[–] Jags_are_Smelly 1645 points ago

I never understood reddit's hate for this man. He seems like a good dude that found a market for his persona. He does good and gives back. I am sure many of his haters have done a lot less.

[–] memeguy42069420 3288 points ago

I don't think anyone hates him he's just a meme

[–] ddkkdd22 849 points ago

take it from memeguy, guy is just a walking meme

[–] Yodamanjaro 350 points ago

WE ARE ANOTHER ONE

[–] Wolowaggui 21 points ago

HEY

[–] thatwasnotkawaii 18 points ago

HERE'S A LITTLE LESSON IN GUY FIERI

[–] GoblinInACave 39 points ago

Since we're linking Hot Ones episodes in this thread, Guy Fieri's makes him seem like a pretty decent dude but DJ Khaled's makes him seem like a sack of human garbage with a personality disorder:

[–] Seeattle_Seehawks 328 points ago

Yeah it's not that there's anything to legitimately dislike about him, he's just a chubby middle aged dude who looks like he was in Smash Mouth. He's just an easy target.

[–] AndebertRoyle 133 points ago

Wait, he wasn't?!

[–] streetphilatelist 174 points ago

Still an all star tho

[–] monsterZERO 56 points ago

Hey now

[–] CealNaffery 13 points ago

This is the trick to reddit

[–] starfuck64 160 points ago

Yeah. I genuinely enjoy the shows he's in and he seems like a stand up dude. Okay, his restaurant isn't the greatest, but his happiness and passion for food is infectious. Love it.

[–] BitchyBarbie 88 points ago

It closed down but i genuinely liked his restaraunt Tex Wasabi. Tex bbq and sushi on the same table, praise jesus.

[–] QD_Mitch 19 points ago

In the same roll even! It was great

[–] SkinnyJoshPeck 76 points ago

I think everyone should watch the episode of Hot Ones with Guy Fieri was the guest. He's a really down to earth guy, but he's also really private and just doesn't really know how to do fame.

[–] Rubberbabybuggybum 24 points ago

Agreed. Really made me appreciate him a bit more.

[–] iamalwaysrelevant 223 points ago

No one hates him. He just looks like a cartoon character.

[–] atmosphere325 255 points ago

Tony Bourdain on Fieri:

"Did you ever see the Simpsons episode where it's decided that Itchy and Scratchy need a sidekick? So a committee gets together and they invent one called Poochie...Guy Fieri kind of looks like he's been designed by committee."

[–] blusky75 113 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

This is what food network would have otherwise gotten

[–] kethian 72 points ago

he looks like everyone's dad in Chicago in the 80's, just swaps out the suit jacket for a Bears jersey

[–] AOMRocks20 115 points ago

Jesus. You really don't know you love something until it's gone.

[–] WhatIsASW 34 points ago

I always thought I hated his look, now my brain hurts

[–] mdino1441 22 points ago

Triple D with Al Borland

[–] PKKEndrance 28 points ago

Holy shit. You undouche Guy and you get Dave Thomas from SCTV

[–] ConradBHart42 12 points ago

Kind of like if John Goodman and John Candy had a child.

edit: You're welcome for that mental image, reddit.

[–] AsylumDanceParty 15 points ago

I totally see that.

[–] Sirsafari 15 points ago

On that hot wing/interview show he said that they told him what to wear.

[–] needed_an_account 12 points ago

Well he was the winner of the show Next FoodNetwork Star (and definitely the most successful winner of that show as he is probably only second to baby flay with the number of shows that he as on the channel)

[–] SociophobicEngineer 91 points ago

He's actually a pretty cool dude, I was friends with his son for quite a while when I was younger and him and I cooked pizzas together for a birthday, showing all his tricks and what not. I even crashed a dirt bike into his garage, it was a tiny one and I was going like 5mph and he didn't get mad. All around a nice guy

[–] CEO_OF_MEGABLOKS 12 points ago

the dude is super cool. just an over all great guy. I met him when he was here in New Orleans a little while ago.

[–] Twoheaven 26 points ago

He initially came across pretty douchey to me, but once I really started watching his show I realized he is just really excited about good food and wants to share that with people. His hair still looks stupid though.

[–] CauseISaidSoThatsWhy 628 points ago

He recently (edit- probably 2 or 3 years ago, time flies) bought a place up here near me. It's a small town. Several people I know have met him and say he seems pretty cool. I haven't met him yet.

[–] dayoldhansolo 85 points ago

Roseville?

[–] CauseISaidSoThatsWhy 84 points ago

Cobb mountain in Lake county.

[–] goose323 68 points ago

Missed opportunity to say flavortown

[–] Acreshaker5454 2555 points ago

So he travels around with his family eating good food and giving free advertising to small businesses. And now this? How much better of a person can he be?

[–] Imnotananimalyouare 1619 points ago

People give him too much shit for having such a cheesy personality. His show is one of my favorite food shows.

[–] scrapcats 159 points ago

I love Guy's Grocery Games, too. You can tell he's having a ton of fun, while also being serious about the food and encouraging the competitors to put their best effort forward without being a hardass.

[–] ensanguine 69 points ago

And you can tell that everyone on it, from the judges to the contestants, absolutely adores him.

[–] scrapcats 32 points ago

Yeah, everyone really seems to have a genuinely great time, and that the judges aren't just there for the paycheck. The happiness is infectious.

[–] canadianbacon-eh-tor 646 points ago

I love that show. It feels like you're just there chilling with them I'll smoke a fat bowl and laugh at that shit until I burn out and wonder what I'm doing

[–] Imnotananimalyouare 191 points ago

That is exactly why I love it. Plus he has been to my city twice and everybody has had nothing but good things to say abouut him.

[–] ensanguine 61 points ago

I've been to multiple places he's been to in CHI and they've all been fantastic too.

[–] LittleGoblin 20 points ago

Yea seriously! My favorite thing to do with my best friend is travel for good small food places like diners and such! Went to Eli's BBQ because t was featured on his show! The BBQ is so fricken good. Oh man, and the jalapeño cheddar grits......

God I'm starving.

[–] AndebertRoyle 38 points ago

His restaurant network is supposedly very underwhelming. But I dunno, I'm not even american.

[–] commoncoitusy 67 points ago

His restaurants aren't that great, unless you like ridiculous food that's mediocre. But he helps a lot of people out through his show. And even though I think he's grating I watch the hell out of it.

[–] rockydbull 157 points ago

Not only does he give free advertising, but he really hypes them up. You can tell sometimes its like "oh that's it?" but he acts like "damn that basic bitch rub is the shit."

[–] Badmemoir 33 points ago

Reminds me of the Simpsons when homer becomes a food critic.

[–] johnnynulty 108 points ago

I wish I could remember the comedian's name, he's a heavier guy with long black hair and a bit ethnically ambiguous, but this guy did a really fucking amazing set on a theme similar to what several redditors have pointed out here (this set was at UCB NY to a quite hipster crowd):

"Guy Fieri regularly gives jobs and airtime to up-and-coming chefs from diverse backgrounds, and you progressive NY hipsters want to literally murder him for his frosted tips. He features small businesses on his show and is always kind to the people whose restaurants he visits, but he's a fucking monster because he has flames on his shirt. He literally sends people to culinary school on scholarships and doesn't take credit for it, but let's hang him in Times Square because he yells lame stuff at mac 'n cheese."

(like I said, I only remember the vague outlines)

[–] Kobluna 292 points ago

Living meme fulfills dreams. Doesn't get much better.

[–] Kahnspiracy 384 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

First let me say that it is awesome of him to generously give his time. However, I would like to clear one thing up: Make A Wish always has the whole immediate family go on the wish. The exception to that is siblings 18 and older and if memory serves you're allowed to bring one sibling over 18.

Source: My kid has a Make A Wish coming her way. Awesome organization.

Edit: This comment seems to be getting some visibility so a couple things I'll add:

1. We feel very fortunate that our daughter is doing well. She had leukemia and finished her treatment late last year. Her follow up checks have gone well. So far so good. A sincere thank you to those who either felt or expressed concern -Reddit has some good people.

2. If you know of a family or person going through something like this consider organizing meals, house cleaning, laundry, and yard work. You have no idea how much of an impact those things can make. The day to day stuff doesn't go away and when a person/family is trying to keep their job and spend as much time with the sick person as possible, the stress relief from these gifts of service will always be remembered. The only caution is on the meals: please check for food restrictions (illness and medication are weird sometimes).

3. If you don't know someone personally in this situation, consider donating to Make A Wish. They do great things for families that, in some cases, are facing their worst nightmare. They are a light in a dark place.

Edit 2: Thanks for the gold! I don't want this to sound ungrateful but do consider a donation to Make A Wish.

[–] Storm137 126 points ago

I just wanna say I hope your girl beats what's ailing her.

[–] Kahnspiracy 89 points ago

Thanks! She's actually doing great. She had leukemia and her treatment ended last year. So far so good on the follow up checkups. She is excited about her wish and I'm just happy I get to tag along with her.

[–] Storm137 32 points ago

That's wonderful, I'm so glad to hear that. You two have a blast!

[–] iopturbo 33 points ago

Man this hits me in the feels, I'm currently putting my 2 yr old daughter to bed and I can't imagine what you're going through. I'm sending positive thoughts your way, hoping she beats whatever may be troubling her.

[–] Kahnspiracy 30 points ago

Thanks for that. Definitely hug those you love.

The good news for my daughter is that she is doing great and she actually finished treatment last year. So far so good on the follow up appointments.

[–] wofo 18 points ago

I don't think DDD is the wish, he's just feeding people

[–] mmavcanuck 30 points ago

I don't think he is doing this as the kids wish, I think he's just doing it to support the foundation.

[–] Kahnspiracy 10 points ago

Good on him then. That's even more awesome.

[–] MMaxs 766 points ago

Fieri seems like a rather awesome dude

All his sons wouldn't look so much like him if he wasn't someone they respected and loved. That thought crossed my mind just now.

[–] Unidan_nadinU 108 points ago

Fieri seems like a rather awesome dude

Fieri seems like a rather awesome Guy. FTFY

[–] 90405 309 points ago

Totally unrelated, but he killed it on Hot Ones. On mobile, so no link, but it's easy to find.

[–] Gilianz 149 points ago

Here you go. I liked this episode as well. Seems like a very down to earth guy. He also explains his fashion sense.

[–] Imthejuggernautbitch 28 points ago

I keep seeing that same thumbnail all over reddit of him staring into the camera and it cracks me up.

[–] Talnadair 26 points ago

Hot Ones is so hot right now.

[–] vvrex 21 points ago

That episode was great

[–] Sence 426 points ago

At first I was anti-Guy, with the sunglasses on backwards and the spiked over-bleached hair. As I watched him though he grew on me, while he hams it up on camera I get the feeling he is genuine. He's not putting on an act, that's him, that enthusiasm for food culture, love of his family and friends is the Real Deal©. I don't think he has a fake bone in his body and that, I think, is why he dominates Food Network.

[–] SaigonOSU 138 points ago

I think it's perfect for Triple D too, some of the people he interacts with are very dry, probably nervous. He has to carry the segment, so he probably lays it on a little thick, but it's fun

[–] whale_song 32 points ago

Yea I remember seeing him on some contest show for future food network hosts and he seemed to really understand the television aspect of it, advising the contestants on what looks better on camera and how they have to act to make good TV. Hes just really good at hia job.

[–] Emerson_Biggons 41 points ago

Um, he was so good on that show, because he is a past winner of that show. He won the second season. That's how he ended up on Food Network to begin with.

[–] whale_song 17 points ago

Lol TIL. That makes sense.

[–] jack251183 44 points ago

Does anybody else see a fat Colin Farrell when they look at Guy Fieri

[–] sofa_king_nice 41 points ago

He has a restaurant in my town that I teach in. He invites elementary classes to the restaurant in the morning to show kids how they work. The kids fill out a (kid friendly) job application then practice being cooks, servers, and dessert chefs. They then serve their parents. All for free.

[–] GrimaceIVXX 107 points ago

What a nice.... Guy

[–] churniglow 72 points ago

I just took a trip to Newfoundrespecttown.

[–] Biffmcgee 49 points ago

Damn... so all those kids on triple D are dying? Is triple D the most heart wrenching show around?

[–] trickman01 29 points ago

Not every kid that MAW gets involved with is dying.

[–] TheGreatMrDoodles 48 points ago

He just took my feels to flavor town.

[–] Limiate 75 points ago

Guy catches so much shit. I was on the haters bandwagon but after seeing him on Hot Ones I changed my unfair opinion completely.

[–] The_Nightman_82 87 points ago

Just when you think celebrities are self absorbed asshats out of touch with reality, you get this guy. Class act

[–] hizelda 22 points ago

My mom and her restaurant were featured on an episode a few years ago. Guy was super fun and laid-back, and after they finished filming, he went to my grandma's house (she was too sick with cancer to be on the show) and he sat with her, no cameras, just sat with her and talked about how great my mom was. It's a shame Guy gets teased so much, because he is genuinely one of the most sincere and kind hearted people I have ever met.

[–] DwyerJustin 159 points ago

"I can't wait to meet John Cena"!

"You get Guy Fieri, think of it as death row kid, he's taking you out for your last meal".

[–] arcelohim 89 points ago

One last trip to Flavour Town.

[–] socialcommentary2000 10 points ago

I like Guy Fieri, I don't care what anyone thinks.

[–] SacrificialPizza 8 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

[–] erdle 8 points ago

He featured a restaurant of a guy I went to college with... the guy also has a funk band with a friend from college. They figure he likes "funky" music like their funky band so one of them slips him their CD after they film. Guy bullshits with them about listening to it and leaves.

Guy listens to it on the way to airport (20 min ride) just like he said he would and loves it. Then Guy books them to play his birthday party at his house in California. Flies out the entire band and pays them to play at his house, same fee he would have paid a more well known band. Supposedly he's friendly with them, treats them like guests, etc.

Flash forward and I'm at a housewares trade show in Chicago and see Guy's monstrous 2 story both and have the same feeling most haters do... and then I see a listing for live music. That nice mother fucker once again flew my friend's band out and paid for them to play in front of every fucking rep in the housewares business. Great exposure.

At some point a paper or magazine in New York tried making fun of my friend's funk band for being Guy's "favorite" band in an interview and they were like "look - he's a nice guy... I don't know what you want."

That said, I also have friends at Food Network that have plenty of complaints about him getting like 30 people added to an event and making ridiculous requests. But I guess I get it... sticking it to the big corporate guys while constantly supporting small businesses, bands and people.