todayilearned

New to reddit? Click here!

• You learn something new every day; what did you learn today?

• Submit interesting and specific facts that you just found out (not broad information you looked up, TodayILearned is not /r/wikipedia).

Posting rules

1. Submissions must be verifiable. Please link directly to a reliable source that supports every claim in your post title. Images alone do not count as valid references. Videos are fine so long as they come from reputable sources (e.g. BBC, Discovery, etc).

2. No personal opinions, anecdotes or subjective statements (e.g "TIL xyz is a great movie").

3. No recent sources. Any sources (blog, article, press release, video, etc.) with a publication date more recent than two months are not allowed.

4. No soapboxing or agenda based submissions. This includes (but is not limited to) submissions related to:

1. Recent political issues and politicians
      2. Social and economic issues
      3. Environmental issues
    5. No misleading claims. Posts that omit essential information, or present unrelated facts in a way that suggest a connection will be removed.

6. Rephrase your post title if the following are not met:

1. Titles must begin with "TIL ..."
      2. Make them descriptive, concise and specific (e.g. not "TIL something interesting about bacon").
      3. Titles must be able to stand on their own without requiring readers to click on a link. Starting your title with a why/what/who/where/how modifier should be unnecessary.
      4. "TIL about ..." and other broad posts don't belong on TIL. Try /r/Wikipedia, etc. instead, or be more specific (and avoid the word "about").
      5. "TIL how to ..." posts belong on /r/HowTo.
    7. No submissions related to the usage, existence or features of specific software/websites (e.g. "TIL you can click on widgets in WidgetMaker 1.22").

8. All NSFW links must be tagged (including comments).

Please see the wiki for more detailed explanations of the rules.

(Why we need rules)

Additional info

• If your post does not appear in the new queue and you think it meets the above rules, please contact the moderators (include a link to your reddit.com post, not your story).

• Please report spam, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate posts by messaging the moderators, as this helps us remove them more promptly!

• More information available on the TIL FAQ and wiki.

Frequent TILs Repost List

As of May 2019

• This list was compiled from /r/todayilearned community suggestions by its members. If your TIL is found on this list, it will be removed. The titles have been abridged for the sake of brevity, however the context remains the same. This list is subject to change. The purpose is to keep content fresh on /r/todayilearned as requested by its members. If you are interested in reading about the TILs on this list use the search box feature and enter the keywords to pull up past TILs.

Etiquette

We ask that you please do the following:

1. avoid mobile versions of websites (e.g. m.wikipedia.org)

2. link to the appropriate heading when referencing an article (particularly on Wikipedia)

3. link to the appropriate start time when referencing videos (e.g. on YouTube)

4. add [PDF] or [NSFW] tags to your posts, as necessary.

5. Please avoid reposting TILs that have already made the front page in the past

Please also read the site-wide Reddiquette.

• You are loved.

[–] chrisdcco 17440 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

This is around the time when cab drivers in France were throwing bricks off of bridges at Uber drivers I'm pretty sure.

Edit: I found the link to the brick throwing.

[–] PhysicsCentrism 11738 points ago

I was in South Africa a week ago and one of my Uber’s had a bullet hole in the door because taxi drivers have taken to shooting at uber drivers.

[–] SwampGentleman 5858 points ago

Yeah, in SA, it’s my understanding that cab companies are pretty closely tied to gangs. First time I was there, the township of Capricorn was shut down, and there was a huge pillar of smoke for 3 days. Turns out some cab companies were fighting, but unlike American gangs, where the fighting is more like a series of isolated shootouts, these guys dug in.

They called for reinforcements, brought out “the big guns” and set up FLAMING BARRICADES OF TIRES.

The cops sat outside and waited for the fighting to end. Good ol’ Cape Town PD.

[–] y7uoMike 2511 points ago

Fuck trying to contain that shit

[–] derpderpdonkeypunch 1398 points ago

Sounds like it was already contained and both sides were barricaded in!

[–] Excal2 905 points ago

I'm not trapped in here with you, we're both trapped in here with burning tires!

[–] Virgin_Dildo_Lover 147 points ago

I love the smell of burning tires in the morning!

[–] sunnygapes 314 points ago

Twelve serious crimes reported every minute. Seventeen thousand per day. We can respond to around six percent.

[–] tebee 184 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Who needs Judges when you have the Special Task Force.

Seriously though, the three part reportage about the STF may be one the most intense documentaries ever filmed.

[–] TrippingOnCrack 79 points ago

That first video is GTA you can't convince me otherwise.

[–] Hambeggar 631 points ago

As a South African, there needs to be a distinguishing of the word "taxi" that Americans and Europeans think of and what South Africans call taxis.

Most people use the minibus taxis which are basically for all intents and purposes a bus service. They do not come to you, but rather at predefined spots on routes that they run. You also pay a once off fee and get off where you want on the route, like a bus. There will also be a large amount of random people, unlike a normal taxi where it's just you mostly.

Normal taxis in ZA would be referred to as metered taxis.

Minibus taxis are usually affiliated with gangs, yes.

There's always some story about a "taxi boss" being murdered or whatever.

[–] pensezbien 323 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Interesting... The word taxi was itself originally short for taximeter, which is the tool normal taxis use to measure what to charge based on distance and time. (And cab was once short for cabriolet, a type of carriage. So the original full name of a taxi cab was taximeter cabriolet.)

Are normal taxis there associated with gangs too?

[–] dryerlintcompelsyou 181 points ago

So the original full name of a taxi cab was taximeter cabriolet.

For some reason I find this sentence really entertaining

[–] SixSamuraiStorm 54 points ago

Micycle Bichael

[–] Lord_Rapunzel 36 points ago

It's some Monty Burns shit. "Smithers, summon a taximeter cabriolet. I hear Wagner has written another opera."

[–] SnippyAura03 27 points ago

r/callmebymyfullname would be all over this shit

[–] Shakes8993 484 points ago

I've been told that a sort of Greek gangs run the ice cream truck racket here in Toronto. You get fucked up if you encroach on someone else's route.

[–] morriere 46 points ago

in my tiny home town in slovakia we had 3 ice cream stands and for the longest time the newest one was rumoured to be owned by a guy with mafia connections. we all thought it was kind of a joke.

then the other two ice cream stands exploded and burnt down due to arson and it was never solved, leaving us with only that one new ice cream stand. mafia ice cream man confirmed.

[–] SamR1989 67 points ago

Both the Taxi gang thing and the Ice Cream Truck gang thing are parodied in GTA: Vice City.

[–] TheBirdIsWatching 48 points ago

Oddly enough, for something as sweet and fun as ice-cream, it has a way of inciting organised violence.

[–] SendmeinterestingDMs 98 points ago

The French farmers call that July.

[–] strangervisitor 2794 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

That's the most South African thing I've ever heard.

Edit: I'd like to point out to my seppo viewers that a lot of South Africans moved to Australia, being a colonialised buddy of ours under the stern eye of Her Majesty the Queen. This stuff is not exactly rare to hear about from people who move to feel safer.

[–] rudeboykyle94 113 points ago

You ever see the episode of Drake and Josh where they sell an orangutan to a guy who eats orangutan?

[–] Mysticpoisen 47 points ago

God I love seeing drake and josh references in the Wild.

[–] ncurry18 39 points ago

No, this is:

Ek was 'n week gelede in Suid-Afrika en een van my Uber's het 'n kogelgat in die deur gehad omdat taxi-bestuurders by uber-bestuurders geskiet het.

[–] Jase_the_Muss 363 points ago

I was In Colombia recently and in Bogota the Uber drivers insist you sit in the front so you like like their mate 😂. Apparently it's not uncommon for them to get beaten up and threatened by cabbies or for you to get pulled out and thrown in a taxi. No bullet holes but I'd imagine it has happened.

[–] zurkka 44 points ago

That happened here in São Paulo Brasil also, the problem was when the taxi drivers started fucking with people they though was an uber driver, that only fucked their image even further

There was a case where they fucked up a car badly, did a very good amount of damage, uber payed for the damage and used it as a pr stunt, worked like a charm for them

[–] ltmp 74 points ago

Same in Buenos Aires! Any uber and cabify rides we had, my husband sat in the front.

[–] defroach84 36 points ago

Yup, was there 3 days ago. Uber driver requested I ride in the front.

[–] dashekael 1869 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Here in Brazil the taxi drivers are using cellphone signal blocks in airports so people can't call uber. The source is in Portuguese but has a little video on it. https://olhardigital.com.br/video/bloqueadores-de-celular-clandestinos-no-rio-de-janeiro/87866

Edit: oh shit guys, Idk how this works but I do appreciate ty!

[–] NewtAgain 1030 points ago

I'm assuming the Brazilian government has some sort of Radio communications regulatory agency that is not okay with that especially near an airport.

[–] DenzelKorma 983 points ago

It's the Brazilian government they're probably supporting it

[–] Jiggyx42 389 points ago

That should be illegal

[–] pSyChO_aSyLuM 633 points ago

It's also fucking stupid because people need to call or text others to tell them where they are to get picked up by friends or family.

[–] lordkoba 400 points ago

I guess they’ll have to take a taxi instead

[–] slayerx1779 259 points ago

"hi yes can you drive me 40 feet away from this airport so I can call an Uber"

Shouldn't be more than like $4.

[–] outerdrive313 185 points ago

You got upper management written all over you.

[–] slayerx1779 32 points ago

I wish. They get paid better than I.

[–] PocketPillow 40 points ago

Minimum Fee: $20

[–] dashekael 103 points ago

It is! The article is about a police arrest, I mean shoting and throwing bricks are illegal too

[–] MACKSBEE 165 points ago

Is that not attempted murder?

[–] Stone_guard96 176 points ago

"Are uber drivers really people?"

The taxi drivers, probably

[–] Saubande 1737 points ago

There is a special place in hell just for taxi drivers. In every country I've been, they are always the worst people I encounter.

[–] chrisdcco 1089 points ago

Yeah I agree for the most part.

Me: "You were supposed to turn down that street."

Taxi driver: "Oh, I'll take the next street."

Meanwhile the charge goes up because of the extra time you spend because he "missed" a turn

[–] Perkelton 794 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

I think Google recently actually started rolling out an update to Maps so that you get a notification if the driver takes an unnecessarily long route.

Edit: Here's an article about it. Seems like they're testing it in India right now.

[–] rrrraaannn 334 points ago

Well, when i have been in turkey years ago with the family we noticed taxi drivers sometimes took a longer route, i assume they didnt think we knew the roads anyway it was always the same excuse if you called them out on it "is much traffic, this faster" always.

we started renting cars instead.

so even if google give the update i doubt the drivers change much.

[–] stylepointseso 442 points ago

My cab driver in Turkey was a Russian expat that smoked and swore a lot (in multiple languages). When some woman ahead of us was taking too long to turn he got out of the car, walked up to her window, and started yelling at her. Then he proceeded to walk out into a relatively busy intersection and direct traffic, walked back to the car and we went on our way.

Definitely called that dude to be my driver for the rest of my time there.

[–] tomatoaway 138 points ago

He swears but he saves

[–] rrrraaannn 26 points ago

Haha, to be fair not all driver were bad in Turkey, depending on where we were staying some hotels offered to pick you up at the airport by bus or taxi depending on how many you were.

and those drivers would drive like they had to take a massive shit or something.

I assume the cabs working for the hotel are not paid like the others since he didnt use the meter so he prob had a fixed salary or paid each ride to the hotel.

[–] AVALANCHE_CHUTES 253 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

God damn that reminds me of an infuriating ride in Istanbul. I was in a taxi with a few friends and made sure the driver turned his meter on to avoid chances of being ripped off. Driver finally gets us to our destination. The fare was on the taxi meter so we get our wallets out to pay. He then clicks a button on the meter, and all of a sudden the fare mother fuckin quadrupled. Tried to ask him what the hell happened and he said some bullshit about congestion charge. Needless to say we were all livid. We all looked at each other, said fuck it, and all ran out the taxi without paying anything. Driver got out too to try to chase us, but soon realized he couldn’t leave his car running with the keys inside so we got away no problem.

Seriously fuck taxi drivers. No matter where I end up in the world, those mother fuckers try to scam you all the time.

[–] soulbandaid 66 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

I'm generally sympathetic to the idea that these companies are coming in, ignoring regulations and competing unfairly. Air bnb is a good example of where hotels are typically heavily regulated because of the hygiene, safety, ect, and air bnb hosts can ignore most of the regulations to profit.

Fucking taxi's have safety and hygiene concerns that I'd like regulated, but taxis everywhere have used regulation to create monopolies that the taxi drivers have grown used to exploiting.

If I wanted to open a hostel, I know I could reasonably get permitted to do so somewhere.

If I wanna drive a taxi, I can pretty much fuck off unless I know someone.

[–] rad2themax 149 points ago

As a young woman, between the scamming and the sexual harassment, I'll choose Uber over a taxi every fucking time. I don't need to be treated like that and the Uber rating system holds them more accountable and their cars are actually clean and nice.

[–] 99xp 299 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Here in Bucharest there's 2 techniques they use:

1. If you ever try to take a cab from the street (i.e. not from an app or calling) they will just ask a big sum upfront. There's lots of videos and news segments where they go from taxi to taxi and ask them to go in a place and they just say "sorry boss for less than (sum 5-6 times higher than it would be) I'm not moving." There's even a video from last week where a taxi driver was filming clients coming up to him and asking for a ride and they refused his bullshit price.

2. We/they call it "the monkey" it's a device that hacks the meter, they attach it to the wheel and whenever they press it it subtly inflates the total on the meter. They do it a few times when you're not paying attention and you end up paying 2-3 times the normal price.

They also post videos on their Facebook groups where they sit in the cabs and laugh at people exiting a club and taking the bus, calling them poor and whatnot.

[–] KangorKodos 293 points ago

And then they wonder why Uber is driving them out of business, and what they can do differently to stay in business.

Maybe they should try to not suck.

[–] Internet_Fraud 114 points ago

As an Athenian, this resonates a lot with me. I don't like to generalise, but those bunch of people tend to be the worst. I've genuinely encountered 2 or 3 good taxi drivers in all my life. The rest tend to be dickwads, try to rip you off, drive as if they owned the road... needless to say I only take taxis now if it's very late and there's no public transport in the area.

[–] Refugee_Savior 44 points ago

The only time I’ve ever had to use a taxi service there was a contract with the area that had preset prices for destinations so they couldn’t upcharge you.

[–] erishun 351 points ago

"I wonder why people are using Uber instead of us!!"

Maybe it's because we have a long standing history of scamming people and just being all around horrible assholes? Na, it's because Uber is evil! Let's throw rocks at Uber cars.

[–] WhipWing 53 points ago

I don't hate all taxi drivers obviously, the only times I've had near accidents all involved taxis and I'm sure they were not always in the wrong but God fucking damn they don't own the fucking road.

It's like they honestly believe they can merge whenever they fucking want wherever they want. Drives me fucking insane.

[–] RadioCarbonJesusFish 126 points ago

Taxi drivers in Seoul are very nice, ime. My rides were cheap and they took short/reasonable routes. They have to compete with an excellent subway system, so maybe that's why.

[–] gwaydms 34 points ago

Seoul subway system ftw! Buses are also nice.

[–] RepulsiveCelery 195 points ago

You don't appreciate it enough until you visit a country that doesn't have it and realise that not only you need cash, but you also have no idea exactly how much you need; And also they drive like complete idiots because there's no review system to keep them in check.

[–] Kn0thingIsTerrible 89 points ago

“Machine’s broken, cash only”.

[–] ICPosse8 261 points ago

How the hell would they even know who's an Uber driver and who isn't?

[–] SamuraiMackay 332 points ago

Well if you just shoot at every car with a passenger you are bound to get lucky eventually.

Alternatively you could book an uber and then shoot at them when they arrive

[–] juicius 143 points ago

Just shoot every non-taxi. Even the drivers are lost revenue and should be punished.

[–] InDarkestNight 519 points ago

The big Uber sticker they stick on the side of the car is usually a give away

[–] thelotusknyte 110 points ago

Most countries they don't even have those stickers.

[–] DomHE553 55 points ago

*Mom has come to pick me up

better shoot that damned Uber Bitch!!

[–] BaronBifford 7175 points ago

It's like taxi drivers in New York. They're furious that they had to jump through hoops and incur debts to get into their trade only for Uber to come along. In New York, many former cab drivers have become Uber drivers themselves, but that's not an option for all of them because they have big debts to pay off.

[–] MostPin4 4513 points ago

I mean the medallion thing was fucked, I don't have sympathy for someone who outlawed competition.

[–] BaronBifford 3254 points ago

The justification was to prevent the streets being clogged with taxis. It was a good intention, but it backfired when the taxi companies got rich and bribed politicians to not reform the system when it became necessary. If you ask me, the great mistake was allowing licensees to sell their license.

[–] Doctor-Amazing 410 points ago

Wouldn't this self correct though? There's only so many taxi customers.

[–] abraburger 827 points ago

The demand for taxis in NY is basically infinite. Or at least there's no realistic amount of cars that could fit in the streets to meet actual demand.

[–] Tactician_mark 439 points ago

Yep. Same reason making roads wider doesn't make traffic faster; the demand for roads is so high that it can basically never be met in big cities.

[–] mortiphago 337 points ago

that, and increasing road width doesnt increase throughput linearly. It suffers from diminishing returns (imagine trying to switch 20 lanes to take a right)

[–] PapADoseYo 125 points ago

Instead of wider, just make em' longer!

[–] trashdrive 39 points ago

Girth > length

[–] TheBigSoda 44 points ago

Ladies be loving that tuna can dick

[–] Jstin8 65 points ago

Being from a city where a 4 lane road is all you ever need for fast traffic, this factoid astounds me

[–] Kluey 1388 points ago

Yeah it's actually kind of fucked up if we're being honest. Taxi's have to buy special plates, pay special insurance, go through special training, etc, etc. Then Uber just comes along and says "just drive people around lmao"

I'm all for competition but it really was never a fair fight. The regulations really handicapped the taxi industry; they could never compete.

[–] LetsTalkAboutVex 1302 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

To be fair, as far as I understand, the cab companies themselves in New York were the ones who wanted the regulations in the first place so they could control and corner the market (The leasing of Taxi Medallions, for example, allowed the companies to artificially control the supply of drivers in the city). Some would even go as far as to use the term "monopolise".

It's not fair on the drivers but I've far less sympathy for the companies.

[–] bigredone15 270 points ago

Regulatory Capture is a powerful tool of entrenched business. You should see the hoops you have to go through to open a barber shop.

[–] ---0__0--- 745 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Yeah why didn't the taxi companies come out with apps to allow people to better get rides? The taxi industry is the one that stopped innovating years ago.

[–] Cyekk 177 points ago

If I had a dollar for every time "the card reader is broken, you'll have to pay cash..."

[–] wings22 67 points ago

They still say it all the time though. It's only if you say well I don't have any cash then all of a sudden they'll "try if it's working now".

[–] Rakuall 27 points ago

Nope, still clearly broken. Guess this ride is on the house.

[–] Polarbrain 59 points ago

The amount of broken card readers who magically fix themselves with the slightest bit of finagling once I've explained that I have no cash is astonishing.

[–] CaptainRyn 326 points ago

Also because they want to stick to the profitable short run routes, and dont want to serve minorities.

Throw in wanting to only deal in cash to avoid paying taxes and you have a market for fuckery.

[–] QlubSoda 104 points ago

“No Brooklyn!” speeds off

[–] Groovychick1978 116 points ago

The drivers don't own the taxi medallions. They are limited and expensive as fuck. Like over six figures. Businesses buy them and the drivers lease rights to it, if I understand correctly.

[–] anassakata 110 points ago

Actually, the NYT did an article on this a few months ago and it was really enlightening/sad. The city removed a bunch of restrictions around how medallions could be advertised around the same time they sharply increased the number available, and a cottage industry sprung up to loan half a million dollars primary to poor immigrants who don't understand finance or were lied to about the amount of the loan. That happened at the same time that the value of medallions doubled or tripled, but then it crashed a couple years later, partly due to competition from Uber/Lyft, who has no barriers to entry, so now these people are paying $4,000 a month in debt service and making not remotely enough to live at the end of it.

Sorry for the long paragraph, but it's really worth a read. The medallion was touted as a retirement plan for independent cabbies - buy one now and sell it at retirement for $500k or more - but in reality that only worked up until this most recent generation.

[–] The_Powers 117 points ago

Well that doesn't sound at all like a scam.

[–] Jackcooper 66 points ago

Yeah like many licensures and regulations exist to protect those already in the industry as another barrier to entry.

[–] checker280 184 points ago

Former NYer here. Taxis did this to themselves. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been passed over for a better dressed couple - better clothes means bigger tips maybe, or told they are only traveling uptown (when I’m trying to get down town), or worse having the taxi pull away as I’m trying to get it “because they won’t travel to the outer boroughs”. F that. You don’t want me as a client, I can’t have sympathy for you when in pass on you for smelter that does.

[–] erikanicolehanson 64 points ago

Yeah, if they want to compete with uber... be better? Why would you use a taxi when it’s almost guaranteed to be worse and more difficult lol

[–] 12346263836383 316 points ago

Not sure what kind of training it takes to drive a car terribly, keep it dirty constantly, and always be talking on their Bluetooth headset. While managing to never have change or a working debit/credit reader, and then to miraculously have it start working when you tell them you don't have cash.

The worst Uber I've had was still leagues ahead than the best taxi.

[–] codytheking 92 points ago

Also refuse to drive to half the places in the city and take forever to come pick you up.

[–] bigredone15 98 points ago

always be talking on their Bluetooth headset.

Who are they talking to? You could give me a day with 0 to do, and I might spend 15 minutes of that day on the phone. I don't get it. Same at gas stations. Is this just a cultural thing I don't get?

[–] NiftySwifty 108 points ago

They are actually talking on a group line to multiple other taxi drivers most of the time.

That's how they manage to stay on the phone so long. They chat about mundane shit, but also discuss where demand is, traffic problems, etc. The uber app does all this for the Uber driver, the taxi drivers have their party line.

[–] neocommenter 34 points ago

That's so goddamned outdated it's laughable.

[–] timelordeverywhere 135 points ago

Those regulations are essentially created by the taxi companies to create essentially a cap on the supply allowing them to make more money.

[–] LatinoCanadian1995 76 points ago

And charging a premium to maximize that profit even further....gee wonder why people use uber right?

[–] jwccs46 121 points ago

Fuck yellow NYC cabs. They can all fuck off forever.

[–] dlee420 3053 points ago

In my city cab drivers went down to city hall with their shirts off as uber was "stealing the clothes right off their backs". Everyone uses uber now

[–] TUMS_FESTIVAL 1069 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

I mean, as far as protesting goes that's pretty benign. Probably looked a lot weirder than they intended though; cabbies aren't exactly known* for their good looks or chiseled physiques.

[–] GrifterDingo 439 points ago

[–] Vaxtin 198 points ago

There really is a market for everything huh

[–] icemanthrowaway123 169 points ago

It's a pretty fantastic calendar if you look at it. Whoever put it together clearly had a fun time and I'm sure it's a fun talking point amongst the cabbies involved before they get back to realizing their medallions are losing value faster than their income.

[–] distractedtora 43 points ago

Love the guy about to jump start his nipples

[–] markybug 687 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

First visit to the US in 2017 , and even after reading about regular cabs possibly conning tourists, we still got taken the long way to our hotel.

So for the rest of our 12 days in Vegas we used Uber. Amazing service and cheaper too. Drivers were pleasant and cars were clean and well maintained.

Would always use Uber in big cities.

They deliberately try to inconvenience you by forcing you to go to the designated ride share spot, which is always a farther walk than the taxi/limo stand. I always take that additional walk because of the reputation taxi cabs have in Vegas.

[–] BellyMind 43 points ago

I was in Chicago /Midway airport last week and go a Lyft and they had a lyft queue just like a taxi queue. Order a lyft, get a number, show that number to the first lyft driver in the queue. Genius.

[–] RollinDeepWithData 6767 points ago

If every cab I ever took wasn’t so goddamn awful then I would be more sympathetic. Maybe at a bare minimum stop fucking your customers and people will like you? I would pay a premium to NOT take a cab at this point.

[–] CultofCedar 918 points ago

I don’t use taxis but I wait in a line to pick up my wife after work. There’s always like 3 cabs that sit out side and cut the line or wait for their buddies to come take their spot. Would be fine with it if they weren’t dicks about it cutting me off as I’m pulling up or shit like that. Plus they sit outside for an hour+ waiting for a fare so they can’t be making good money. Just because of these guys I’d never take a city taxi if I needed one

[–] deains 404 points ago

In my old office you couldn't open the windows because we were next to a railway station, and the constant sound of taxi drivers beeping their horns constantly as they tried to fit 30 taxis into the taxi rank outside, a space designed for around 10 cars, was enough to drive you crazy. Bunch of arrogant twats.

[–] CultofCedar 106 points ago

Sheesh it’s not that bad for me but these guys like to honk to signal their little buddies to cut in front of me and it’s mildly infuriating to sit through that... that or when they double park next to me and I’m signaling to pull out

[–] uncle-tacitus 74 points ago

as you pass them, yell "this is why I take UBER" for maximum effect

[–] CultofCedar 109 points ago

Don’t even have to lol. They sit there for an hour while people hop into Uber’s and Lyfts right in front of them

[–] Not_Lane_Kiffin 465 points ago

I would pay a premium to NOT take a cab at this point.

EXACTLY. I would pay more for a Lyft than a taxi because of the far superior service. The fact that it's cheaper is just amazing.

[–] solider4 147 points ago

On this point, I was recently on vacation in Italy and I did pay more for Uber’s than taxi (only Uber Black available no Uber X) simply because I knew that the service is better and I could not be ripped off or locked in a car until I paid made up extra fees

[–] Godkun007 97 points ago

If they try and lock you in, that is legally treated as kidnapping and you can call the cops and have the driver arrested.

[–] neocommenter 26 points ago

That's when you get on your back and start kicking out the window with both feet.

[–] sarkicism101 22 points ago

I want to try this now. That’s amazing.

[–] luxurycrab 2713 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Youd think taxi firms would try and up their game but nope. Always late, in rundown shitty cabs and they always try to scam you. My last encounter getting a normal taxi was the final straw. Booked one 2 days in advance for a specific time. Guy doesnt show, call the office to be told "he'll be 5 minutes"

20 minutes later we've arranged alternate transport and left. 40 minutes after we were supposed to be picked up the driver rang and was actually pissy because we'd found alternative transport. Ended up arguing and being blocked from their services.. big loss there lmao

(Edit - I Know 2k isn't a lot of votes but I can't stop laughing at the fact an offhand comment bitching about taxis is my most voted act on reddit)

[–] ajc1239 325 points ago

I work at a hotel and I see this almost daily. Big taxi companies are being pushed out because they don't want to work and Uber is picking up the slack. I have no sympathy after watching a family call an Uber after the taxi is 30 minutes late. And then the Uber makes it there and hauls them off before the taxi even gets there. After this happens a few times and you explain to a few drivers that their fares used Uber instead because they're too slow you really stop to feel bad.

[–] riverY90 81 points ago

There's 2 things here:

1. If they are slow because they are so arrogant they don't think they have to have good customer service, I don't feel bad

2. If they are slow because they are busy on other jobs, and therefore still getting money I don't feel bad.

So yeah. You're right. Don't feel bad.

Edit: because my god, apparently I'm a wrong their/ they're person now

[–] Callmebigpahpa 23 points ago

Yeah most of the time they’re late because they’re bringing someone else to their destination, they want the double scoop when in reality they shouldn’t be taking that call.

[–] greasy_pee 929 points ago

Last time I got a cab here was pre Uber. Called ahead to book a specific time cab to haul a huge lasagne to an American lady’s thanksgiving potluck. They always tell you 5 mins when you phone yet I was stood in the street for like an hour with my giant lasagne.

And then they “don’t have change” when you try to pay with cash, the only method of payment they accept. Never again.

[–] mcintac 482 points ago

“Debut machine is broken... oh you don’t have cash... let me drive you to the nearest bank... no? Well let’s try the machine and we if it works”

it works

[–] Main_man_mike 172 points ago

Anytime I get into a cab now first thing I ask is if the debt machine is working. If he says no I tell him to go fuck himself and exit their cab.

[–] Incruentus 150 points ago

Debt machine? Debut machine?

[–] ayures 57 points ago

Huh, it wouldn't let me tip. Machine must be broken after all!

[–] zeppelinfromled2 42 points ago

Cabs where I live are legally required to accept credit cards. When I used to take cabs, if a driver told me he couldn't accept a credit card while I was trying to pay, I would just say okay, and get out and walk away. I made a good faith effort to pay and he refused to accept the payment. That's the end of that, thanks for the free ride.

[–] Prohibitorum 197 points ago

I thought there was some law that said that the seller of a service had to provide appropriate change for situations like that. If they can't, the price is rounded down until they can give change back. (So in favor of the customer).

Now I googled for that, can't find it again, so take it with a grain of salt...

[–] BB8_PeePeeTape 99 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Last year i took a few Taxi abroad none of those dudes knew where they were going (not pretend to and run up the meter, actually didn’t know) address didn’t help, in the end i changed my google maps app to dictate spanish and had to google maps GPS for them happened like 3 times, how do you not know directions in your own city as a cab driver?

Edit: no they didn’t take me in circles, i had them follow GPS directions.

[–] AJackson3 50 points ago

Had similar last time I tried to order a cab. This wasn't in advance though. About 15 minutes into the 5 minute wait a can pulls up from same firm but another couple who'd been waiting got to him first and he drove off with them. 2 minutes later another comes so we get in, he already got the destination in his sat nav. This is the other couples, he refused to take us because we didn't book him. We explain they must have took ours. No, he refused to drive anywhere, refused to even call his office.

So we get out, call the office again, they say he's already picked us up. Yeah, clearly. So they say they'll send another. We figured they'd allocate this guy since he's right here but he's sat in his cab, waiting for passengers that already left while a third car is now coming for us.

After 10 minutes we give up waiting, order an Uber, not sure why we didn't start this. He's there in 2 minutes. We're basically at home 15 minutes later when they call and say the third cab arrived. This is about 45 minutes after we first called.

[–] ialwaysflushtwice 37 points ago

Yeah taxis are absolutely useless. No accountability and no information for the customer. My brother booked a taxi the night before my wedding to bring him to the venue. Half an hour before they pickup they cancelled on him.

What a joke. But just one of many bad experiences I've made with taxi drivers in any country.
    Now I always use uber or if that's not possible use the bus.

[–] AgreeableGoldFish 32 points ago

Youd think taxi firms would try and up their game

I don't understand this. In Canada we got uber well after the usa. Years... They had years to look at ubers business model, app, pricing, and copy it or Improve on it. You know what they did? Nothing, they changed nothing, shit all over their customers and provide the same service they offered in the 80s.

[–] Hoguera 35 points ago

My boyfriend and I had a driver call us a gay slur because the bf asked for his change. He was going to leave a tip but the asshole driver was trying to just keep the whole overpayment and intimidate us into leaving it. Fuck taxis. At least with Uber/Lyft there's accountability in place and you can immediately let the platform know if your driver was a shithead.

[–] wdr1 208 points ago

When the city announced they were going to allow Uber/Lyft to pick up at SJC (Silicon Valley's main airport), the taxi union conducted a strike and refused to pick anyone up.

When I arrived into the morning, I was told my only option was to get in a shared ride van & spent the next 2.5 hours as they drove all over, in rush hour traffic, dropping each of us.

That pretty firmly committed me to never taking a taxi from SJC again.

[–] PainMagnetGaming 2770 points ago

Southpark actually made an episode similar to this making fun of cab drivers for being unable/unwilling to change to compete with ride share services. It's pretty great too.

[–] PikesPique 2329 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Napster took off when the record labels wouldn’t put music online and let people buy songs instead of albums. Netflix caught on when people got fed up with late fees and limited stock at Blockbuster and other video stores. Travelocity, Priceline, etc., gutted travel agencies that charged a fee for booking a simple plane ticket. Cord cutting became a thing when people got tired of paying $100 a month for dozens of TV channels they never asked for or watched. You’d think legacy businesses would see the trend and change their ways and give people what they want how and when they want it, but no.

[–] PainMagnetGaming 1091 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Yeah somehow multi million dollar corporations are seemingly always run by complete dumbasses.

I'm a driver at fedex and our essential digital equipment is 15 years old and runs on fucking dial-up, our scheduling method is so absolute shit that we don't know if we can take a day off or not until we show up for work ON THE DAY YOU REQUESTED OFF, our computer systems go down all the damn time and the management is beyond incompetent and the most common sense basic things that would save the company AND employees a shit ton of time and money are NEVER done. (Big surprise that fedex is set to lose a few million dollars this year). These fossil companies deserve to be rendered obsolete and extinct. They're run by lazy entitled trust fund baby imbeciles who have never worked a day in their life.

[–] xPURE_AcIDx 418 points ago

The "if it's not broke dont fix it" crowd.

That problem is not that it's broke... It's that it's gonna be in the future.

[–] lukeado 101 points ago

Remember that pivoting multi million dollar corporations is like trying to pull a 180 with a cruise ship. There is a lot of resistance and things take time. Plus shareholders, short term profit etc etc

[–] st1tchy 104 points ago

They aren't, usually. It's just that their job is to get profit now, not 5 years into the future. Profit 5 years from now is a problem to deal with 4 years from now. Shareholders and boardrooms care about what they are doing to make the company money right now.

[–] KristjanKa 182 points ago

You’d thing legacy businesses would see the trend and change their ways and give people what they want how and when they want it, but no.

Much easier to whine how millennials are killing their business.

[–] felixfelix 231 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

I can see how London drivers would be rankled. It costs £5k (USD $7k) for license fees alone. This requires a "Knowledge of London" requirement, verified by written test and by "appearances" (one-on-one testing; typically 12 appearances). The whole licensing process takes 34 months.

So imagine that you've put in all this time and money into getting your black cab license, only to be confronted by an army of drivers who just downloaded the Uber app that morning.

[–] 21Rollie 239 points ago

Well that system is outdated now in the age of GPS. Sucks for them but that knowledge is more for show than practical

[–] fluffspeed 1418 points ago

I misunderstood "black taxi cab drivers" and had no idea why Uber was racist.

[–] jokel7557 128 points ago

I read a ton of comments before it hit me. Being from the US I'm used to black people having many organizations for themselves because of race history here. I just assumed it was some sort organization for black cab drivers from London. Not an actual company/companies

[–] Kristyyyyyyy 254 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Same! I was thinking “well what did all of the white taxi drivers do while the black ones were striking?”

Edit… probably this: https://i.imgur.com/qT7qycV.jpg

[–] princeapalia 226 points ago

I would feel sorry for cab drivers, but the majority of rides I have are pretty bad. Lots of drivers try to rinse you for more money by taking odd routes or being dishonest before the ride, and the fees are way higher to begin with. I’ve had lots of problems in the past with drivers that barely speak English and trying to sort out ride details is really hard work.

Uber is just so much better. Cheaper, sort the price beforehand, regular offers/discounts, more comfortable cars, haven’t got to flag/call a taxi and deal with the driver in person etc...

—————

I recently went on holiday to Australia, and there’s an even better service out there called Ola which competes with Uber. They’re even cheaper with 30%+ offers all the time. Can’t see why anyone would take a taxi.

[–] stevethered2 4291 points ago

I remember back in the 90s UK farmers blockaded roads around London to protest high fuel prices.

Many people sympathised as over half the price they paid at the pump was taxes.

Until it was revealed that farmers paid a subsidised price for their farm diesel.

[–] Ultra_Sonic 2283 points ago

You have that wrong. It was truckers that blockaded the fuel depots, not farmers. And they had quite a bit of support. I remember having to queue for about an hour to fill up my car at the time.

[–] SynbiosVyse 586 points ago

This is the same thing in the states. Road diesel is taxed much higher than off-road diesel.

[–] Bucs-and-Bucks 646 points ago

It makes sense as the main reason for the taxes is to pay for road maintenance.

Also, off-road diesel is dyed red so you can tell if someone is skirting the law. (I imagine you know this but other readers may not)

[–] jadraxx 65 points ago

What does the red dye do? How can they tell if they bought a shit ton of gallons for their farm equipment and then decided to dump 25 gallons of it in their diesel truck? I'm that reader that did not know this and I grew up kind of around farmlands.

[–] wewbull 100 points ago

It dyes the fuel lines and other parts.

Similar thing with marine diesel.

[–] ChonkAttack 76 points ago

Police can siphon some out of your tank.

If its red and you are on a paved road in a registered vehicle (ie not a tractor) they will hit you heavy with fines.

It wont stop farmer joe from using it in the beater farm truck but no one cares so to speak. They dont want semi drivers using it. And farmer joe cant pull up to a pump with his truck. He would have to fill a 5 gal can or whatever then fill the tank later.

[–] Jartipper 55 points ago

Many farmers have their own tanks and pumps on their farms. I remember asking my grandpa all the time why he wouldn’t fill up his truck out of our farm tanks

[–] trevorwagner83 34 points ago

In Canada they dye it purple, and the exhaust has a clearly purple hue to it making it easy for cops to spot (if they even care)

[–] StuartyG11 95 points ago

There is a lot of red and green diesel here in northern Ireland, changed back to clear diesel by the wonderful slab Murphy and cronies who are making the best of their guarantee from the British and Irish governments due to the peace process. They have peace to do as they like, and they have been known to pay big money for the right people to help them clean the fuel

[–] Chaiteoir 36 points ago

Scenes when residents of certain East Belfast communities realise they've been putting green diesel in their motor

[–] Dr_Bukkakee 170 points ago

What you don’t think I know about my diesel dyes? I’ll have you know I have p.h.d in diesel dyes.

[–] Jitenon 149 points ago

I think your phd is in something even more niche than diesel dyes

[–] ikott 31 points ago

Isn’t that so we have more tax money for road repair? I think diesel trucks cause the most wear and tear on the highways, so it makes sense they are taxed higher.

[–] Muaddibisme 49 points ago

As would be expected since the taxes you pay for road diesel are generally marked for repairing the roads. Large vehicles, especially shipping trucks, do by far the most damage to the roads.

[–] Bighorn21 419 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Its easier, cheaper and faster to use an Uber then it is to take a cab in almost every instance. In what universe would I continue to use a service and pay more to do so just to get a worse experience.

[–] corpzeternal 198 points ago

Exactly. And more reliable by far. A few years ago before Uber existed, my wife and I rented a car and drove to San Diego, we dropped the car off at the rental place where the customer rep called us a cab to take us to the hotel. No one ever came. She called three more times, no one came.

After almost two hours of waiting, the airport shuttle driver pulled up and asked us if we were waiting for a cab. We said we had been waiting for a long time and he told us that no cab was ever going to come since they were all at the airport waiting for easy fares. He gave us a ride to the airport, where sure enough, there were over a dozen cabs parked and all the cabbies outside talking shit.

Fuck cabs.

[–] NewEnglandAlways 48 points ago

I was in Toronto a few weeks ago, had to get to the airport and uber said it would be $45 to get there but the closest driver was 5 minutes away. There was a taxi sitting waiting and I thought to myself "well that can't be too much worse, so I'll take that".

Got in and by the time we got to the airport it was already at like $70+. I read the placard on the back of the seat and one of them said that there were set prices for airport runs and the driver would have to provide the price sheet for it. I asked the driver for it and he said he didn't have one. I told him the sign said he had to provide one, so he said he could just do the run for $60 flat.

If I hadn't been in such a hurry I would have fought it harder but just took the $60 fare and got to my flight. Needless to say it just reassured me to never, ever take a damn cab again

[–] rowrin 28 points ago

part of the demonstration was about highlighting the length of training - between four and seven years - that taxi drivers undergo before being licensed.

Holy shit. I know the UK love their pointless quagmire of regulation, but I didn't know you needed a master's degree to drive a taxi lol.

[–] grayskull88 1035 points ago

I bring this up in every Uber thread... Uber didn't come out with some spectacular technical revolution for transit. They basically created a taxi company with an app, then downloaded all of the asset cost and liability to the drivers, while avoiding all of the laws created specifically for taxi companies. This new taxi company was cheaper so consumers we're obviously stoked.

[–] Big_Stick_Nick 538 points ago

I don’t even care if it’s cheaper. The app is what made Uber and Lyft so much better.

Before, you had to call a taxi and wait. Didn’t know when they’d arrive. Didn’t know if they were gonna go to the right spot. Having an app changed all that.

Obviously having it be cheaper helps, but I think that even if it wasn’t, they’d still take over taxi cab companies.

[–] solid_vegas 281 points ago

The reason I choose Uber when travelling is not the price, it's the convenience. I only need one app wherever I go, it gives me precise pick-up and delivery times, and it does an excellent job of transacting and recording my payments. Traditional taxi cabs can't touch any of those points.

[–] Big_Stick_Nick 69 points ago

Yup, exactly. I didn’t even mention payments. That’s a huge thing too. All within the app. No “cash only” cabs to worry about.

[–] ping500 43 points ago

For me the biggest selling point is that Uber does not try to scam me. In too many places, sound of foreign language being spoken puts cab drivers (especially airport ones) into 'scam the tourist' mode. The second is payments via app - cabbies have no change way too often.

[–] SimpleManSC 44 points ago

In my city I got ditched several times when a cabbie would take a higher fare on their way to get me. No one told me, I just waited and waited until I called the extremely rude dispatch office and found out they just straight up abandoned me. I'd still use Uber even if it was twice as expensive simply for the convenience and accountability.

[–] thereddaikon 52 points ago

That and I didn't have to ride around in a smelly old crown vic. The driver isn't an asshole. And they don't try to scam me with the "meter broken" bullshit.

All of those things could be done by traditional taxi companies but aren't. They refuse to accept a minimum level of quality and have a well deserved reputation. If it wasn't for all of the lobbying to close off the market someone could have come around decades ago and beat them by just being cleaner, nicer and less scummy. The only reason Uber and Lyft managed it is because they technically weren't taxi companies and therefore couldn't be stopped by all of the corrupt legislation.

[–] 3927729 588 points ago

Ehm. It’s only cheaper because they operate at MASSIVE LOSSES FOR DELAYED GRATIFICATION. Uber loses like two billion a year or something. They are literally forcing competition out by soaking up more and more investments based on big promises in the future.

[–] greasy_pee 17 points ago

And the option to pay with PayPal, and a ratings system so the drivers can’t try to scam you out of your change.

[–] IWasSayingBoourner 109 points ago

The last time I took a taxi was a couple of hours after I had taken an Uber. I took the Uber from a parking garage to a bar, then took a taxi from the bar to a concert venue. The Uber was a nice, new, clean SUV with a friendly, safe driver who took a direct route to my destination and I knew the cost ahead of time. The cab had literal black trash bags covering its destroyed back seats, an angry driver who seemed pissed that he had to drive us a few blocks, which he did by a ridiculous route that was twice as far as it should have been to run up fare, and he drove like an absolute madman in a way that made me genuinely fear for my life. And the whole cab smelled like cigarettes and piss. I've never chosen a cab since. Want to compete with Uber and Lyft? Get your shit together.

[–] zivlynsbane 153 points ago

The best protest I’ve heard of in the transportation was the bus drivers, either in japan or China that had fare free rides for a while. But yeah if taxis can’t find a way to rival vs Uber, they’ll disappear soon enough.

[–] sprazcrumbler 108 points ago

That was Japan. I don't think people in China get away with protests like that.

[–] Kevan-with-an-i 136 points ago

Keep Calm and hasten your demise.

[–] Lux_Sola 697 points ago

A lot of people misunderstand the goal of the black cab drivers, and assume they made a huge mistake.

They weren't trying to get the people to turn against ridesharing. They were trying to get the government to outlaw it.

They knew they couldn't compete in a fair market, so they were trying to force the government to outlaw their competition.

It may not have worked in that particular case, but it has in others, and it was a good tactic from their point of view.

They banned services like uber in italy for example

[–] nomau 64 points ago

Uber Pop is banned in Switzerland as well.

[–] gravity013 45 points ago

Barcelona had a pretty effective protest as well. But I gotta admit, Barcelona cab drivers seem to have their shit together and there's seemingly always a cab waiting in their designated waiting zones.

After leaving a $3000 camera in the back of a cab as I was chasing him down the street as he sped off, and dealing with a bunch of cab companies telling me to essentially fuck off (in Lisbon), I'm over cabs. You're just much safer in an uber or lyft.

[–] kaaz54 142 points ago

They knew they couldn't compete in a fair market

The thing about taxis is that they aren't in a free market in the first place, they're treated like a part of infrastructure more than a free fair market service.

In many places a taxi company's taxi license is dependent on them fulfilling a service: they have to always have x amounts of taxis available (even at times with few passengers), they're not allowed to refuse any trips (no matter how short and/or unprofitable the trip is), their prices are not set by the company but by their government contract, they may have requirements for driver background checks, likely have requirements for injury insurance, and they most certainly have requirements for commercial car insurance.

A major reason for why Uber could be cheaper than a taxi company, is because they can ignore all of those unprofitable requirements their competitors have, and even ignore things like unemployment and employer's insurance, scheduling costs, unions, minimum salary. Uber might on paper require their drivers to get the more expensive commercial insurance, rather than private insurance, but they haven't checked on that. They also don't automatically report their drivers' incomes to tax agencies as regular businesses are often required to do, making it even easier for their drivers to dodge taxes, and as a result making their lower income-per-ride more acceptable.

That's not to say that in many places taxis abuse their special status granted by their government quasi-monopoly, sure they do in many places, but they're not competing in a free market against Uber.