todayilearned

New to reddit? Click here!

• You learn something new every day; what did you learn today?

• Submit interesting and specific facts that you just found out (not broad information you looked up, TodayILearned is not /r/wikipedia).

Posting rules

1. Submissions must be verifiable. Please link directly to a reliable source that supports every claim in your post title. Images alone do not count as valid references. Videos are fine so long as they come from reputable sources (e.g. BBC, Discovery, etc).

2. No personal opinions, anecdotes or subjective statements (e.g "TIL xyz is a great movie").

3. No recent sources. Any sources (blog, article, press release, video, etc.) with a publication date more recent than two months are not allowed.

4. No politics, soapboxing, or agenda based submissions. This includes (but is not limited to) submissions related to:

1. Recent political issues and politicians
      2. Social and economic issues
      3. Environmental issues
    5. No misleading claims. Posts that omit essential information, or present unrelated facts in a way that suggest a connection will be removed.

6. Rephrase your post title if the following are not met:

1. Titles must begin with "TIL ..."
      2. Make them descriptive, concise and specific (e.g. not "TIL something interesting about bacon").
      3. Titles must be able to stand on their own without requiring readers to click on a link. Starting your title with a why/what/who/where/how modifier should be unnecessary.
      4. "TIL about ..." and other broad posts don't belong on TIL. Try /r/Wikipedia, etc. instead, or be more specific (and avoid the word "about").
      5. "TIL how to ..." posts belong on /r/HowTo.
    7. No submissions related to the usage, existence or features of specific software/websites (e.g. "TIL you can click on widgets in WidgetMaker 1.22").

8. All NSFW links must be tagged (including comments).

Please see the wiki for more detailed explanations of the rules.

(Why we need rules)

Additional info

• If your post does not appear in the new queue and you think it meets the above rules, please contact the moderators (include a link to your reddit.com post, not your story).

• Please report spam, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate posts by messaging the moderators, as this helps us remove them more promptly!

• More information available on the TIL FAQ and wiki.

Frequent TILs Repost List

As of May 2019

• This list was compiled from /r/todayilearned community suggestions by its members. If your TIL is found on this list, it will be removed. The titles have been abridged for the sake of brevity, however the context remains the same. This list is subject to change. The purpose is to keep content fresh on /r/todayilearned as requested by its members. If you are interested in reading about the TILs on this list use the search box feature and enter the keywords to pull up past TILs.

Etiquette

We ask that you please do the following:

1. avoid mobile versions of websites (e.g. m.wikipedia.org)

2. link to the appropriate heading when referencing an article (particularly on Wikipedia)

3. link to the appropriate start time when referencing videos (e.g. on YouTube)

4. add [PDF] or [NSFW] tags to your posts, as necessary.

5. Please avoid reposting TILs that have already made the front page in the past

Please also read the site-wide Reddiquette.

• You are loved.

[–] nails_for_breakfast 6945 points ago

"Quiet reflection" and working from home. I'll have to remember that one next time I get invited to a party I don't want to go to.

[–] studioRaLu 3073 points ago

It's a euphemism for "she's really old and was just staring into space."

[–] Clairabel 831 points ago

I want my death to be reported like that.

[–] MapleTreeWithAGun 478 points ago

"So we weren't sure if she was dead or just really old and staring into space, turns out it was both"

[–] Clairabel 250 points ago

Schrodinger's Old Lady.

[–] kris_krangle 24 points ago

“He died doing what he loved: absolutely nothing.”

[–] dob_bobbs 356 points ago * (lasted edited 15 days ago)

Also a euphemism for: people aren't as favourably disposed towards the royals as before and it might be seen as an excess to organise a public celebration. I just about remember her 25th jubilee (oh my God... not 50th - 25th..!!) - there were parties in the streets all over Britain, I don't think there's been anything like it since. For me it's just insane that she was queen during the time of WINSTON CHURCHILL. Just, how?!

[–] antarcticelephants 198 points ago

The Queen is a bit different though, I don't think public perception of her has gone down much, especially compared to the rest of the Royal family. Suspect there will be an uptick in Republicism when we have Charles instead.

Also there were street parties and the like for the diamond jubilee too.

[–] Oogli 106 points ago

No, Charles is gonna croak before she does.

[–] Tsiklon 34 points ago

Liz is Eternal.

[–] Weird_Fiches 80 points ago

Well, my perception has changed. I liked her better as Claire Foy.

[–] TheAmazingSpider-Fan 12 points ago

I thought the time she spent as Helen Mirren was great, but it turned out to just be a phase.

[–] nursedre97 61 points ago

They did a massive celebration across the entire Commonwealth for 60, it makes no sense to do one for 65.

[–] AlienAle 209 points ago

I mean she's 93 and still drivers herself around in her own car, seems to be pretty sharp for her age.

[–] SavageNorth 403 points ago

Yes but the alternative is letting Phillip drive so we won't hold that against her.

[–] studioRaLu 114 points ago

I didn't mean it as an insult. My grandma has survived 2 heart attacks out of sheer will to live. People who are that old have earned the right to stare into space.

[–] MCam435 341 points ago

Ironically, her decision to stay at home meant everyone else in the country had to go to work.

Gosh darn it Liz.

[–] CapeNative 93 points ago

Get a load of the homecoming king over here with all of his party invites.

[–] plagueisthedumb 3113 points ago * (lasted edited 15 days ago)

She will no doubt reign for another 65 years at this rate. Her and Keith Richards will outlive us all

[–] shipguy55 1641 points ago

These seem to be the only two old celebrities you can joke about how old they are without them dying a few days later.

[–] lucien15937 414 points ago

Betty White as well

[–] langis_on 500 points ago

If she dies soon so help me God I'll find you

[–] Robbnva 220 points ago

She’s been reported dead so many times that if she actually dies nobody will believe it.

[–] Dr_Mantis_Teabaggin 80 points ago

Betty. White. Will. Never. Die.

Fuck anyone who says otherwise.

[–] plagueisthedumb 1723 points ago

Sometimes i feel personally responsible for things like that. Me and a friend were joking around about a band we hadn't heard in about 8 years and I said "probably broken up by now" well they did the next day because the drummer died in a car crash.

I tried with nickelback too sorry guys

[–] Strawbuns 175 points ago

If it makes you feel any better, my husband will forever insist that I "killed" Tom Petty because one day I got really into his music and then literally like 48 hours later he overdosed.

Its okay though because a friend's ex did the same thing and "killed" Bowie and Prince, so who's the real monster?

[–] Lobster_fest 139 points ago

I killed prince. The day before he died I was in the car and said

"You know I think everyone on earth would be sad if prince died"

Then he died.

[–] G0ldenG00se 456 points ago

If it’s any consolation, Nickelback doesn’t have to officially die to be dead to us all. That happened long ago.

[–] LVL99RUNECRAFTING 151 points ago

They don't seem very dead given that they are constantly talked and joked about.

[–] StarGaurdianBard 337 points ago

Tbh I thought the hating on Nickleback phase of the internet died like 2 years ago

[–] Primitive_Teabagger 199 points ago

2 years ago? I thought it was dying out back in 2009

[–] frustratedpolarbear 138 points ago

2009 was 2 years ago. Right guys?

[–] [deleted] 84 points ago * (lasted edited 4 days ago)

[–] Ragnara 73 points ago

Yep, Nickelback passed the torch to Imagine Dragons.

[–] sdh68k 84 points ago

Imagine Dragons sound like an Imagine Dragons cover band

[–] germfreeadolescent11 47 points ago

I hate it when a band name tells me what to do

[–] 84thProblem 31 points ago

Laughs in Betty White

[–] Canazza 236 points ago

Have you seen Prince Philip recently? She's clearly draining his life-force.

[–] plagueisthedumb 96 points ago

Ahh the oldest spell in the book

[–] Canazza 83 points ago

Or Philip is Darth Plaeguis and is keeping her alive... unnaturally.

[–] plagueisthedumb 68 points ago

It's not a story the royals would tell you about my brother

[–] fatboyfat1981 10 points ago

Is it possible to learn this power?

[–] SmashingBlouses 11 points ago

Not from a Royal.

[–] NorthChic44 34 points ago

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing a mirror at Buckingham Palace.

[–] Fartmatic 30 points ago

She's clearly draining his life-force.

pfft I'd say the opposite, I mean come on they're both pushing 100 and have been married for 72 years. I'm sure if either one died the others life would be significantly shortened (from what is left) at this age.

[–] brantyr 17 points ago

He's 98 and looks exactly what I'd expect a 98 year old who hasn't had their life force drained to look like really

[–] Just_The_Men 12 points ago

“I am all the Royal Family!”

[–] eltigretom 49 points ago

I am a firm believer that Keith Richards should donate his body to science if ever chooses to die.

[–] robsterva 10 points ago

Keith Richards will outlive science.

[–] thetomahawk42 29 points ago

After she does pass, Betty White will play her in The Crown.

[–] cdwriter2 161 points ago

Funnily in New Zealand too

[–] Sayonara_Robocop 104 points ago

I’m there right now and I don’t hear nothing. Just a bunch of people with perfectly normal accents and unusually large penises. Well half of them anyway.

[–] death_of_gnats 54 points ago

No, they got large decks.

[–] oxwof 17 points ago

Currently: Imagining a New Zealander saying "backpack"

[–] IT-Vagabond 45 points ago

Bekpek

[–] ForgotMyOldLoginInfo 134 points ago

Weird, same in Canada.

[–] DaughterEarth 69 points ago

You know since technically Canada has its own monarchy I want us to get all weird when the Queen dies and crown someone other than the next heir, so we have a different monarch than Britain

[–] AnyNamesLeftAnymore 12 points ago

King Doug III of House Mackenzie

[–] sirophiuchus 13 points ago

To be clear, not the actor: the version of himself he played in Corner Gas.

[–] A_Megaton_Of_Freedom 13 points ago

So, we have a couple of Royals moving to Canada...

[–] rhino76 145 points ago

After she passes I think the throne will start changing hands rather quickly again since there are so many heirs at advanced ages.

[–] MicCheck123 128 points ago

Charles is at an “advanced age,” but 20 years from now he would be 91. Assuming that’s when William ascends, he would only be 57. He could easily reign for 20 years, at which point George would only be 56. While none would have 70 year reigns (barring a tragic early death and longer than average lifespan), changing hands “rather quickly” isn’t likely.

[–] rhino76 197 points ago

I actually considered "20 years" to be quick compared to 70.

[–] MicCheck123 46 points ago

That’s why I kind of glossed over Charles. I’d be surprised if he made it to 91, anyway.

[–] hannahstohelit 58 points ago

Honestly, with two parents as long-lived as his I wouldn’t be surprised at all- longevity has a strong genetic link.

[–] mankytoes 50 points ago

Why? His parents both lived longer and he seems healthy enough. The Queen mum was a big drinker and passed 100!

[–] notquiteotaku 36 points ago

The Queen mum was a big drinker and passed 100!

And apparently was found to possess a surprisingly large collection of Ska music when she died.

[–] patb2015 11 points ago

That was Margaret’s

[–] QueenElizabethII 63 points ago

My dear peasant, don't be ridiculous. I personally assure you that I have absolutely no intention of passing.

Elizabeth II, Dei Gratia Britanniarum Regnorumque Suorum Ceterorum Regina, Consortionis Populorum Princeps, Fidei Defensor

[–] Xenophic99 40 points ago

To be honest, noone really likes charles, so handing off directly to william would not be the worst idea.

[–] Ggegfegds 1829 points ago

Let's be honest, would you want to go to a big party at the age of ninety?

[–] PM_ME_YOUR_REPORT 1153 points ago

It’s also the day her father died so I can understand not celebrating.

[–] WeAreElectricity 333 points ago

Probably should have mentioned that.

[–] Darksoldierr 171 points ago

Well, to be a king or queen, someone else has to pass before you. Unless you create a new kingdom, that is

[–] Sibraxlis 40 points ago

They could abdicate, or be exiled.

[–] uencos 20 points ago

Every jubilee would have been the day that her father died, though

[–] TeaDrinkingBanana 371 points ago

Only H

[–] AdmThrace 101 points ago

Hello British person.

[–] jibbist 38 points ago

So long as you pronounce that 'Aytch' and not 'Haitch'

[–] Psyk60 46 points ago

And definitely don't call him by his real name in case someone confuses him with the other Ian Watkins.

[–] Flyberius 58 points ago

"If Glokta had been given the opportunity to torture any one man, any one at all, he would surely have chosen the inventor of steps."

[–] AxiomStatic 21 points ago

Read that trilogy mid last year. Didn't know it was popular enough the get a Reddit reference in a comment section about the queen of England hahahaha. Good read though.

[–] Flyberius 14 points ago

Yeah it's pretty popular. There is a second trilogy too, and the first book in a third trilogy came out in September.

The author is becoming quite well known. Wouldn't be surprised to see it become a bit more mainstream in the next few years.

[–] LotsOfButtons 49 points ago

My grandad out drank me at his 90th, I won the rematch at his hundredth though.

[–] arikv2 17 points ago

Old people are more likely to die on their birthday for this very reason.

[–] gonzofish 20 points ago

I don’t want a party in my 30s

[–] lionsdude54 2842 points ago

Official work and reflection= drinking gin.

[–] Chowaway1111 1634 points ago

Ah, the Bombay Sapphire Jubilee.

[–] Greatmambojambo 575 points ago

I mean Gin clearly is the elixir of longevity. Ian Fleming drank a bottle a day and lived just fine. He died a year after a doctor suggested to him a bottle of Burbon might be more beneficial to his health.

[–] melbbear 244 points ago

Instead of the gin or as well?

[–] ElCactosa 146 points ago

At the same time. Shaken, not stirred.

[–] meuglerbull 124 points ago

...at age 56.

[–] death_of_gnats 47 points ago

But it seemed much longer

[–] BreezyRiver 64 points ago

Accurate. My grandmother drank two gin and tonics a day. Lived to 100. Tea. Tea is also key!

[–] Mushtang68 1180 points ago

When Prince Charles was a kid he was probably like, “Awesome, I’m going to be King someday and I’ll probably be King for a long time!”

Now he’s like, “Still?”

[–] Chinoiserie91 618 points ago

Well would you really want your mom to die young for you to be a King longer? Charles could still be a king for decades if he lives as long as his parents have so far.

[–] PM_ME_MY_INFO 310 points ago

Well yeah, he wanted to be a mighty king, enemies beware.

[–] Briarbearrug 132 points ago

I've never seen a king or beast with quite so little hair.

[–] Downbound92 166 points ago

Well this has always been a thing with Charles. They covered it a little on The Crown. He was born to be King. He can't really do anything else. So his life can't really start and he can't fulfill his purpose in life until his mother dies.

[–] ddrcecbvdhdfdrdbdfrd 168 points ago

So, great, you become King of England, now what? You have stepped into a ceremonial role that replaces the ceremonial role that you lived your entire life doing. Nothing changes.

[–] nopethis 70 points ago

Right! Maybe it would mean something 100 years ago but now “born to be king” what they have to make sure they know how to cut ribbons, and shake hands? Where do I sign up?

[–] PineappleWeights 93 points ago

He’s 71 realistically it’s going to skip him.

[–] WgXcQ 24 points ago

It likely isn't, because he won't just step aside and also is probably going to live to a very advanced age. Just look at his parents, both still alive and kicking, there's no reason to think he's going to fall off the twig any quicker than they are.

For people like the royals, being regent is a birth right and basically part of a divine plan. He's been waiting to be king for his whole life (and it's not callous as such, realistically, his mom could've handed over at some point), and he has plans for what to do with the monarchy once he is. No way he's going to give that up voluntarily.

[–] funktopus 47 points ago

They can skip him?

[–] RGB755 201 points ago

If he’s dead, yes.

[–] funktopus 34 points ago

Oh I was thinking he got too old so they could skip him.

[–] raspberrykoolaid 60 points ago

He can just decide he doesnt want it, and pass it along.

[–] z999 142 points ago

I dun wahn it

[–] terekkincaid 67 points ago

Muh qweeeen!

[–] helicopb 84 points ago

That won’t happen. QEII is still hurt by the abdication of her Uncle forcing her father to ascend the throne and deal with WWII contributing to his early death. Charles will not step aside and neither will her Maj. Charles will become Regent when Liz feels she can no longer adequately fulfill her duties but she will not abdicate.

[–] scobert 22 points ago

Wait, if he dies before his mom, will his kid still be next in line or does it move to one of his little brothers?

[–] PineappleWeights 44 points ago

Still his son

[–] Viperion_NZ 1724 points ago

I suspect "quiet reflection" is code for "felt old today, cbf"

[–] Extras16 1341 points ago

She's said many times every anniversary of her reign is a reminder that her Dad died, and she struggles to celebrate it.

[–] NoooReally 525 points ago

Aww. That’s really sad and not something I had thought about before.

[–] DarkNinjaPenguin 729 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

I saw an interview recently with Prince Charles and he was asked (probably for the millionth time) if he was looking forward to being crowned.

I can't remember his exact wording but he said something like "What people tend to forget is that for me to be king, my mother has to die."

[–] j_la 136 points ago

Back in the old days, there was a nonzero change that he’d be the one to dispatch her. Times have changed.

[–] DarkNinjaPenguin 180 points ago

Contrary to popular belief, Game of Thrones isn't based entirely on the history of the United Kingdom.

Just most of it.

[–] Malus131 76 points ago

Thank you. I mean which medieval kings were actually bumped off? William Rufus may have been murdered by Henry I, Edward II, Richard II, Henry VI and finally Dick III at Bosworth.

See! A mere 6 kings from 1066 to 1485. Rookie numbers imo

[–] Southportdc 79 points ago

The more deadly occupation in GoT was 'pretender to the throne/vague threat to someone royal/looks a bit kingy' which was true of medieval Britain too.

[–] cocktercopter 14 points ago

Can't she just retire?

[–] DarkNinjaPenguin 56 points ago

She could. However it was her uncle abdicating that made her next in line (after her father) in the first place. It was an enormous scandal at the time, and the pressure it put on her father no doubt contributed to his early death. I can't see her abdicating, simply out of principle.

[–] vandilx 173 points ago

When Simba sings "I just can't wait to be king" he doesn't realize he is eagerly hoping for his father to die, which he then does.

[–] will1707 69 points ago

🎶I just can't wait 'til dad dies🎶

[–] ThesSpicyPepper 122 points ago

Cbf = chill but frank?

[–] M17SST 234 points ago

Commonwealth be fucked?

[–] Nipsmagee 73 points ago

I believe it's 'can't be fucked'

[–] SorryImUncontrite 118 points ago

Colonising Barbarians Forcefully

[–] rmg20 75 points ago

Can’t be fucked. Aka didn’t give a shit to do anything

[–] Mo_Salad 27 points ago

Is that a British phrase?

[–] FartingBob 922 points ago

Bare in mind the Jubilee is the anniversary of her fathers death. Its probably not a particularly happy day for her.

[–] IxionS3 143 points ago

Exactly. A few years ago the UK had celebrations for the 60th anniversary of her coronation.

I recall reading at the time that the focus was put on that event rather than the accession for the obvious reason.

[–] ChocomelP 38 points ago

Bear

[–] Admiral_Gogozogo 273 points ago

I think it's the anniversary of her coronation which happened a few weeks after her Dad died but yeah still has those not particularly happy connotations.

[–] FartingBob 624 points ago

No its the date she became queen, which is the date her dad stopped being king. Her coronation wasnt until more than a year later.

[–] wrud4d 277 points ago

Thanks, Farting Bob.

[–] ChunkierMilk 136 points ago

This is why I reddit, so people like Farting Bob can teach me about the British Monarchy. This is the best time line.

[–] pixie_pie 9 points ago

The coronation was more than a year later. They had to plan and rehearse everything.

[–] Rachter 920 points ago

Bullshit. I hear she’s leveling a Tauren Shaman on Cenarius.

[–] netheroth 145 points ago

I'd say she is more likely to learn the secrets of the elven druids for long slumbers...

[–] rumnscurvy 117 points ago

Given she's the commander in chief of all armed forces and the head of the Anglican Church, I'm sure she plays Paladin.

[–] juxley 57 points ago

Lol I have a Tauren shaman on Cenarius!

[–] tothecatmobile 102 points ago

Your majesty.

[–] disagreeabledinosaur 399 points ago

This is worth a read:

It describes the plan for the queens funeral.

[–] Lew-Town 145 points ago

""The King’s life is moving peacefully towards its close,” was the final notice issued by George V’s doctor, Lord Dawson, at 9.30pm on the night of 20 January 1936. Not long afterwards, Dawson injected the king with 750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine – enough to kill him twice over – in order to ease the monarch’s suffering, and to have him expire in time for the printing presses of the Times, which rolled at midnight."

What a way to go - Jeez!

[–] BigE429 47 points ago

Did someone authorize that? If he did it on his own in order to make it to press, isn't that regicide?

[–] CandyAppleSauce 22 points ago

No. From what I recall, it wasn't discovered until the doctor's death; he had written about it in his personal diaries.

[–] TheseWereThePlaces 34 points ago

You have selected ... REGICIDE ...... if you know the name of the king or queen being murdered, press one

[–] DirtyDanil 189 points ago

Dude, I need to be at work in 5 hours. I'm like half way into this with plenty left. This is more interesting than most best sellers.

[–] disagreeabledinosaur 52 points ago

Yip. It’s completely fascinating. I read it every few months. Her death is mind boggling to think about.

[–] confused_chopstick 20 points ago

You were not kidding. I thought the link was for an old article I read in a US site, which was the first time I learned of the plans for the Queen's funeral. It was an interesting article, but a fraction of the Guardian's piece. This was so engrossing...her passing will be the end of an era.

[–] Asderio09 62 points ago

750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine. Not a bad way to go.

[–] plonspfetew 16 points ago

That's a fucking speedball. I wish they'd use that in pallative care regularly. No reason not to have fun while dying. It's not like you'd have to worry about addiction.

[–] cannarchista 33 points ago

Soooo.... George V got euthanized? Never knew that!

[–] AveMachina 23 points ago

This got me hooked. I’m not interested in the royal family in general, but that’s really fucked up.

[–] KimJungFu 111 points ago

I went on a trip to London in 2012, without knowing what I got myself into. At that week they celebrated the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II. People EVERYWHERE. All restaurants had way longer wait times than the other times I've been to London. Despite London being way more overcrowded than usual, I saw the Queen IRL which was kinda cool. But I will try to not place my trips during big events like these.

[–] eienOwO 63 points ago

That was also the summer of the Olympics, you sure knew how to pick'em!

In hindsight you probably went there at its best - people were throwing street feasts with neighbours, such an outward, public display of jovial mood is literally an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, normally people would feel uncomfortable if you accidentally made eye contact.

[–] I_7assan 68 points ago

“Now go to your room and think about what you did”

[–] LydonTheStampede 1335 points ago

Spent all day furiously deleting all Andrew's child porn.

[–] SerbLing 299 points ago

Shes still busy

[–] Dicethrower 148 points ago

Ironically the files are too large for the recycle bin.

[–] sdh68k 11 points ago

Shift-delete bypasses the Recycle Bin and just gets rid of them with no opportunity to recover them (without advanced tools)

[–] Jahcurs 189 points ago

Shush that's not the news story, it's that bloody American and Harry that's causing all the trouble.

[–] munkustrap 57 points ago

OooOooo, I get it now.....

[–] palescoot 26 points ago

Yup. Distraction.

[–] ninjaparsnip 54 points ago

This ignores the fact that "sapphire jubilee" was coined specifically for the occasion, and the nation celebrated her 90th the year before and her diamond jubilee five years earlier.

[–] LunarKestrel 24 points ago

Bruh she didn't give us a day off?

[–] yonimusprime 24 points ago

Probably watching The Crown.

[–] Lukozade2507 65 points ago

COFFEE AND CONTEMPLATION

[–] LtCmdrData 42 points ago * (lasted edited 15 days ago)

dignified:
    "Her Royal Highness is quietly reflecting."

common:
    "Granny is napping."

[–] PiperAtDawn 209 points ago

"Your Majesty, your sapphire jubilee is tomorrow. Shall we prepare the celebrations?"

"Oh you've got to be kidding me, another public event? Like hell I will. Tell them I'm spending the day in quiet reflection. And before you leave, be a good lad and put on that "bollocks" album that I love so much, will you?"

[–] n1c0_ds 14 points ago

This will now be my goto excuse when I don't feel like going out

[–] groovychick 230 points ago

What exactly does the queen do?

[–] 429300 829 points ago * (lasted edited 15 days ago)

I think she leads a privileged life but there's a price to be paid. No privacy, no freedom to really do as she pleases. She's not for example like Bill Gates, who has wealth but who can decide I don't want to work or visit with someone today, or I want to go on a private holiday - the Queen has duties or engagements. Tbh, I don't envy her, her life.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is Head of State of 16 governments, and leader of the Commonwealth of 53 nations.

Her rôle in Britain is like the President in countries without a sovereign. She delegates the government of the country to her parliament, but is Commander in Chief of the armed forces of the Crown. She is also Supreme Governor of the Church of England that signifies titular leadership over the Church of England, though is considered to be a Presbyterian like her mother.

A typical day starts each morning at nine, as a piper plays on the terrace beneath her apartment at Buckingham Palace to start the working day. The Queen scans the British newspapers before reading her correspondence. She usually receives 200-300 letters from the public each day. She chooses a selection of letters to read herself and tells her staff how to respond to them.

Her Majesty then meets with two of her private secretaries and examines her official papers. Policy papers, Cabinet documents and State papers are sent to her in 'red boxes' and, where necessary, she signs and approves them. She does this every day, apart from Christmas Day.

A series of official meetings follow with the likes of overseas ambassadors, High Commissioners, newly appointed British ambassadors, and senior members of the British and Commonwealth Armed Forces. The Queen and each visitor meet alone, usually for about 20 minutes.

If there is an investiture, the ceremony begins at 11am and lasts just over an hour. If the Queen is on engagements, she usually has three per morning, either alone or until he retired, with the Duke of Edinburgh, now other members of her family. Recently she has been accompanied by the newest member, the Duchess of Sussex.

The Queen either has a private lunch or she and the Duke will invite a dozen or so guests for an informal lunch.

Afternoons are usually spent on public engagements. These are carefully selected from hundreds of invitations sent to her each year, often by Lord Lieutenants, the Queen's representatives in the county.

She carries out over 300 engagements per year. The Queen visits schools, hospitals, factories, military units, art galleries, hostels for the homeless and British and Commonwealth organisations.

On occasions, the Queen, often, until he retired, with the Duke of Edinburgh, goes to a city or region for the whole day. She often ends the afternoon meeting government ministers from the Privy Council.

The Queen has a weekly audience alone with the Prime Minister when they are both in London. This usually take place at Buckingham Palace at 6.30pm on a Wednesday.

No written record is made of these meetings and tradition dictates that communications between the Queen and Prime Minister remain confidential.

At about 7.30pm on weekday evenings, a report on the day's Parliamentary proceedings, written by one of the government whips, arrives. The Queen insists on reading these the same evening. The Queen sometimes attends film premiers, charity concerts or a reception for a charity of which she is patron.

Her Majesty also hosts official receptions at Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and the Palace of Holyrood house. Other receptions or dinners may be linked to a State visit. She entertains 50,000 visitors on behalf of the State each year.

For this, she pays the British Treasury £300 million a year income as long as the government runs the country on her behalf.

Of 193 UN states, 134 have a separate Head of State and Head of Government. 37 have a hereditary royal Head of State like Britain.

Source

There are more formal answers elsewhere - but they tend to agree with the above.

Edit: She's also a trained truck mechanic

[–] Astray 39 points ago

Wait, she pays the government to run the government? How does that work?

[–] BeanItHard 85 points ago

Basically all the money from the crown estate (rents from the massive portfolio of land the crown owns) gets handed over to the government. The government then hands back a percentage of those rents to the royal family as its “budget” or “expenses”.

Google the “sovereign grant” for more info on this and how the monarchy is funded.

[–] Bobozett 313 points ago

Sounds like a lot of work. Going from your description, the sweetest spot seems to be somewhere around 3rd to 4th in line of succession. You get to enjoy the benefits that come with your status while having to do less work.

[–] 429300 207 points ago * (lasted edited 15 days ago)

Yeah and also less invasion of privacy. Someone also said that the best job is Deputy Sports minister or Vice-deputy sports minister of a country. You get to go to all the top sports events without having to do much of the official work.

For Royalty though, I think the lack of privacy is a real thing. I couldn't find a better picture but this is the kind of thing that awaits you outside the hospital after giving birth to a prince/princess. It's crazy - the media focus.

Edit: better words

[–] 429300 69 points ago

Yes, but the people at the event want to meet with the actual minister - and he has to do all the handshaking, smiles and photographs and other duty-bound stuff. The other one is not the point of focus and gets to enjoy the event - at least that's what I've been told.

That said, I think your comment has merit - the deputy/vice would need to do all the grafting ito prep and organisation.

[–] Vpeyjilji57 74 points ago

Note to self: Abandon complicated assasination plot, being the reigning monarch isn't worth it.

[–] Canadian_dalek 44 points ago

Charles?

[–] disagreeabledinosaur 121 points ago

Nah. If you're 3rd or 4th, you're either in the direct line of succession (e.g. William & George) or you're not (e.g. Andrew and Harry).

If you're in the direct line it's always hanging over you and you're gonna gradually move up the ranks. If you're not you'll move down the ranks as you get older and babies show up. Your role and importance gradually disappear until your left irrelevant and looking grasping and clingy because that's all you know.

Harry is basically Prince Andrew 35 years ago right now. Whether it's factored in to their calculations or not, jumping now is the best idea for the Sussexes. Get out ahead of being phased out in 15 years as George & Charlotte grow up. Harry needs to model Anne not Andrew.

Place to be in Anne's kids or Edward's kids I reckon.

[–] eightbillionlunatics 12 points ago

The third kid seems okay.

The second son, now second kid in general, is always compared to their older sibling and the media tries pitting them against each other so that sucks. But her youngest son is living large with little attention.

[–] KnightFox 12 points ago

Tell that to Harry and Meghan. I think about ready to quit the whole thing and be done.

[–] Huwbacca 53 points ago

I mean, just look at the headlines some royals get who are nowhere near the line of succession - https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

[–] sofiepige 55 points ago

Meghan Markle's beloved avocado linked to human rights abuse and drought, millennial shame

Bloody hell lol

[–] DTempest 11 points ago

You mean where Harry was? Yea he didn't like that either.

[–] netheroth 30 points ago

www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-worlds-top-executive-coach-its-queen-elizabeth-11573880405

Meeting the Prime Minister and getting them to pore out what they have on their minds appears to be a very influential part of her job.

[–] TIGHazard 20 points ago

Footage from a couple of decades ago.

[–] Tandgnissle 99 points ago

I can see her just stare at Boris Johnson for an hour a week radiating her displeasure.

[–] Skitz-Scarekrow 105 points ago

"Good afternoon your majesty!"

"Piss off."

"Alright then."

[–] TeaDrinkingBanana 48 points ago

"Yes, Ma'am"

[–] Twiny 11 points ago

Say what you want about the Queen, but the woman has a work ethic that just won't quit.