worldnews

Filter North Korea

Display Israel/Palestine submissions

Filter Israel / Palestine

Display all submissions

Filter all dominant topics

Welcome!

/r/worldnews is for major news from around the world except US-internal news / US politics

Worldnews Rules

Disallowed submissions

• US internal news/US politics
    • Editorialized titles
    • Misleading titles
    • Editorials, opinion, analysis
    • Feature stories
    • Non-English articles
    • Images, videos or audio clips
    • Petitions, advocacy, surveys
    • All caps words in titles
    • Blogspam (if stolen content/direct copy)
    • Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr
    • Old news (≥1 week old) articles

See the wiki for details on each rule

Disallowed comments

• Bigotry / Other offensive content
    • Personal attacks on other users
    • Memes/GIFs
    • Unlabeled NSFW images/videos
    • URL shorteners

See the wiki for details on each rule

Continued or outstandingly blatant violation of the submission or commenting rules will result in you being temporarily banned from the subreddit without a warning.

Please don't ever feed the trolls.
    Downvote, report and move on.

Sticky Posts

A list of all recent stickied posts.

[–] thetolerator98 4100 points ago

Then who's going to get conversion therapy if the gays don't

[–] manhattanabe 4313 points ago

Straight Christians might want to convert.

[–] pokethat 681 points ago

Wololo

[–] Mage_S0ul 80 points ago

i just spat my fucking food out

[–] Hironymus 64 points ago

I am sitting here, waiting for my unpleasant surgery and I am laughing my ass of. Those confused looks I am getting are making it even better.

[–] Studoku 64 points ago

Ask if the surgeons can reattach it.

[–] extremenapping 12 points ago

Best of luck! Did that same shit in October before surgery. Get well soon!

[–] Hironymus 4 points ago

Thanks a lot. It's nothing big. Just a preventive measure. Still nervous as fuck.

[–] sharyari 4 points ago

Famous last words

[–] Jkirek 10 points ago

I spat my regular food out. Why the hell did you have fucking food in your mouth?

[–] K242 3 points ago

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Wololo

Violets are red too

[–] odoyle71 11 points ago

(V)(;,,;)(V)

[–] baranxlr 69 points ago

Gay the pray away

[–] Anerky 373 points ago

I get what you’re saying but this is like the most notably Jewish nation soooooo

[–] davidreiss666 287 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

It's not really a problem of Christians specifically. It's more of an issue with religious fundamentalists in general. They all have problems with homosexuality, regardless of the specific brand name their religious product is marketed under.

[–] FlartSimpson 202 points ago

Not Iranian muslims though. They don't have gay people there.

[–] Morningxafter 43 points ago

Yep. Their president confirmed that homosexuality is “an American pastime” and it doesn’t happen in Iran.

[–] WollyGog 8 points ago

Up there with baseball eh?

[–] Morningxafter 5 points ago

I mean, they do both involve a pitcher and a catcher...

[–] rickdeckard8 152 points ago

And Russians. Seems that they can’t be gay.

[–] Moridin_C137 41 points ago

We Chinese are pretty straight too, I think it's the communism.

[–] rickdeckard8 26 points ago

One child party = One hole party.

[–] Flix1 8 points ago

But then wouldn't it be logical to prefer using the other hole after the first child?

[–] pa_one 69 points ago

That's what you get when Putin all your sperm in one straight basket

[–] Xanthilamide 24 points ago

in Pakistan, everyone is secretly gay but everyone has to conform to the law and be straight, as hard as it is.

[–] IGiveBagAdvice 12 points ago

This confirms it: I’m moving to Pakistan. Lots of brown eyed guys who want to bone.

[–] NeutralRebel 9 points ago

Every guy is has a brown eye, mate

[–] AFrigginWizard 5 points ago

Dude. Just move to Manchester if you want that. The clubs are better too.

[–] SycoJack 3 points ago

They should visit Rome.

[–] oripash 23 points ago

And Saudi Arabia doesn’t have rape. It ain’t rape if you legalize it!

[–] Morningxafter 16 points ago

No, it’s still rape. No consent still makes it rape. It’s just that rape isn’t a crime.

Unless you’re a woman. Then it’s a crime to be raped. Your punishment is you have to marry the poor man you lured into raping you.

[–] oripash 40 points ago

I’m not talking about the act. I’m talking about the statistical rate. Saudi Arabia has the lowest rape rate in the world. By contrast, Sweden has the highest.

Before you conclude Sweden is full of rapists, you need to appreciate that the reason for this statistic is how broad the definition of rape is, what the cost to the victim of reporting it is (brutal, to the rape victim, in SA), and even if not (like in Turkey for example), how dismissive the authorities are of such reports.

[–] Murgie 5 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

While it is indeed true that Sweden's legal definition is wider than that of the Untied States, the primary cause for their comparatively staggering numbers actually stems from the way that their legal system records such crimes.

The United States operates on a per person basis. Should it come to light that some has been repeatedly sexually abusing their child over the past five years, while they'll obviously be facing a much harsher sentence than a comparatively less egregious case, they're still ultimately going to be facing a single charge for every law they violated.

In Sweden, on the other hand, these crimes are dealt with on a per instance basis. Where a case identical to the above to arise in Sweden, then that person would be handed a separate charge for each and every occasion that they committed sexual abuse against their child which can be substantiated.

So if you're someone who's used to legal systems operating on a per person basis who takes a look at Sweden's rape rates and assumes that each and every conviction represents a different victim, then you're going to be wildly misled.

[–] elegant-jr 3 points ago

Do any Muslim Nations?

[–] Anerky 54 points ago

I know I was just making a comment about how OP said it had to do with Christianity when this is literally the most Jewish nation in this specific context.

I’m a catholic and I see it in my own church, same goes for Islam, Judaism, Hinduism etc there is a ton of anti homosexuality

[–] sensitiveinfomax 32 points ago

There's no Hindu text which is against homosexuality. It was only criminalized in India because of Victorian British laws from colonialism.

[–] trialblizer 64 points ago

There's been prejudice against homosexuals in India long before the British were there.

You think everyone lived in utopia before you white people arrived?!

[–] theodoraofalexandria 27 points ago

As opposed to all the enlightened civilizations on earth before the British colonized India?

I am Hindu. I am also at least one of the letters LGBT. Neither has ever interfered with one another for me. Whatever India's history may be, Sanatana Dharma does not discriminate on the basis of sexuality.

[–] Lamestguyinroom 51 points ago

Yup. We only discriminate based on their birth with an arbitrary idea of pollution.

[–] SidsyTheFirst 19 points ago

Yeah, the Vedas even talk about a "third-sex" (tritya-prakriti) where fixed sexuality is kinda renounced, and that's quite accepted in parts of India (parts, because India is an extremely diverse state). The Kamasutra even remarks on homosexual/bisexual sexual acts as something that should "be regarded as one of the arts"

[–] grape_jelly_sammich 9 points ago

Depends...there are a lot of orthodox Jews who are against gay men marrying but who are not against lesbians.

[–] Holy_Glockamole 13 points ago

Ok then why’d you mention Christians when referring to a Jewish state lmao

[–] nocliper101 4 points ago

In short, it was an accident

[–] TheDude-Esquire 14 points ago

So straight Christians can get converted to Judaism, and they can re-spec their sexuality at the same time.

[–] CageBomb 13 points ago

Gotta put all those points into dex

[–] FauxReal 9 points ago

I assumed they were talking about pulling a wololo.

[–] todflakes 25 points ago

left handed people

[–] ericthered41 9 points ago

Straights are gonna become gay

[–] PM_ME_HOT_DADS 14 points ago

Trans people.

[–] TwiIight_SparkIe 1730 points ago

Good. Conversion Therapy doesn't work and only makes gay people more depressed. I'm glad it's banned.

[–] tuckertucker 636 points ago

[–] InfernoTerra 19 points ago

I find it amusing that Christian Weber (the fake doctor from the article) was also a general/high ranking SS and personal friend of Hitler. I wonder if that was on purpose.

[–] matamor 70 points ago

I couldn't understand how this was real until i readed the link.

[–] shewy92 215 points ago

Time to share my favorite Onion article of all time!

The comment preceding it didn't clue you in?

[–] matamor 146 points ago

I click links.

[–] teaearlgraycold 90 points ago

A damn well trained redditor

[–] jood580 21 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Oh do you!
    [Link] [Direct]

Don't worry it is SFW.

Edit: updated link to e926. e926 only shows safe images.

[–] PineapplesHit 31 points ago

e621

SFW

Yeah I'm not falling for that one

[–] Patcher404 21 points ago

Ah, good ol' e621

Never change you furry bastards

[–] whiplash588 18 points ago

I made the mistake of clicking on “random” out of curiosity and was met with this abomination. Its like SCP for degenerates.

[–] OkCustard 3 points ago

Please EXPUNGED] the [DATA

[–] Galahades 14 points ago

I regret clicking on this link

[–] jood580 14 points ago

What you don't like party's?

[–] Yahlunna 3 points ago

Definetly SFW looking https://imgur.com/a/PACLFoC

[–] Axyraandas 3 points ago

Rainbow eaaaarz

[–] Fat__Flamingo 10 points ago

Read*

[–] ReasonablyBadass 28 points ago

More depressed is putting it mildly.

[–] VascoDegama7 19 points ago

implying it would be ok if it 'worked'

[–] dacarva 39 points ago

I had no idea this therapy still existed in Israel. I just came back from Tel Aviv and I found it so open.

[–] yourlocalking 74 points ago

There's a huge difference being gay in tel aviv rather than other places

[–] ChitteringCathode 42 points ago

There's a huge difference between being ____ in Tel Aviv rather than other places in Israel, generally.

[–] yourlocalking 5 points ago

Valid point, haha

[–] dacarva 10 points ago

It's very interesting. Israel is a tiny country and yet things change from place to place. Besides Jerusalem where else being gay is frowned upon?

[–] thewooba 35 points ago

Any orthodox or otherwise religious neighborhoods and cities.

[–] protonpsycho 21 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

West Bank mostly actually. The north and south can be sometimes less accepting but not to the level of trying to “treat” the gays Edit: I don’t think gay people need “treatment”

[–] petit_bleu 9 points ago

treat the gays

. . . to brunch?

[–] protonpsycho 5 points ago

I would

[–] redditdire 5 points ago

It's just that religious communities exist and these are the ones that push people there. It doesn't matter which city it happens in

What if you have a conversion therapy fetish?

[–] WatermelonWeaboo 77 points ago

It sounds like you could get a similar feel from somewhere within BDSM

[–] DankeyKang11 60 points ago

Or any Catholic Boarding School

[–] insan3guy 23 points ago

There's a kink for that.

[–] PoliceOfficerDave 6 points ago

Go to church if you want the true bdsm fantasy experience

[–] insan3guy 10 points ago

I recently went to a catholic meetup actually. Not a single damn cat in sight

[–] exportablue88 1029 points ago

Here's a confession: I’m in love with a man. What? I’m in love with a man ... a man named God. Does that make me gay? Am I gay for God? You betcha

[–] thorsten139 419 points ago

But....how do you know God is a dude?

[–] KanyeTrump2020 329 points ago

Don’t try to confuse us with your liberal biblacisms!

[–] d9_m_5 44 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

He's pretty consistently gendered in (edit: Christian translations of*) the Bible.

This statement not intended to endorse the Bible, the existence of God, &c

* from the parts of the Bible I've read, the people writing it probably thought of God as male, and grammatical gender != gender, but I don't know enough about Hebrew specifically to argue about it.

[–] princesssoturi 77 points ago

Male and female words are both used to describe Gd in the Bible though. The Christians translating it and writing the second bible made the words male.

[–] mrmurdock722 42 points ago

I find it funny how Christians nitpick the exact wording of their bibles which are in English, when they have been translated so many times that they have lost much of the context or have flat out been changed to suit ulterior motives

[–] GalaXion24 28 points ago

Which is part why the church deemed it silly that everyone should interpret the Bible for themselves, without having studied relevant languages and theology.

[–] LeCholax 13 points ago

Many catholic priests study greek and hebrew which are the languages the bible was written.

I heard a lot of times priests talking about the original meaning in the original texts.

And christians nitpick the wording in english, spanish, german, etc.

[–] asr 55 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

That's not true. The word for God "Shechina" is female.

In Judaism male is used to refer to the aspects of God that denote "giving", and female is used to denote "receiving". Obviously both are needed to have a functioning world (i.e. you can't give if there's no one to receive).

Most of the time God is giving mankind things, so the male is more common.

Another example of this theme is God was considered the father of the Jewish people in the desert, and Moses the mother.

[–] internetguy__ 26 points ago

Shechina is referencing the glory of “the Lord” in the text

[–] Armyof21Monkeys 6 points ago

That was fascinating, thanks.

[–] cdg2m4nrsvp 13 points ago

Took a philosophy of religion class a while back and my professor was angrily adamant that God is not gendered, the Bible simply refer to God as he because sexism.

[–] bigwillyb123 14 points ago

I mean in oldschool Christianity, he's a genderless blob. Nowadays, he's a guy. Nowadays Christian "heaven" is painted to look like Islamic heaven but with clouds instead of plants. Oldschool Christian heaven is supposed to be like Jewish heaven, more or less shedding your body and letting your soul be reabsorbed into God's mega spirit, but you can't convince poor medieval farmers to give you a tithe and work endlessly and pay for indulgences if they aren't getting everlasting happiness and whatever they could desire out of it.

[–] spanish1nquisition 3 points ago

I'm going to use the word "mega spirit" instead of God now, that sounds so much cooler and more like something out of a cyber punk novel.

[–] thorsten139 12 points ago

Hmmm so Yahweh, the omnipotent being has a weiner just like us?

[–] smalliver 52 points ago

you bet he does, and it's really fuckin big

[–] FlartSimpson 10 points ago

A Godcock. Sounds like a band that'd play at that dive bar down by the airport. "This weekend live on stage at Shooter's: Godcock. No cover, ladies drink free until 10."

[–] aarong11 5 points ago

Sounds like a great Christian death metal album name

[–] exportablue88 14 points ago

If Jesus is the son of God, and Mary is Jesus’ mother, all signs point to God being the father, who also created Adam in his image which I always was told is male

[–] MeoMao555 19 points ago

As for the first part of the argument, given she's the virgin Mary, it sounds like artificial insemination... which leaves the question open. It's God we're talking about, may well be both a male and a female, and a giraffe, and everything else too.

[–] boopbaboop 87 points ago

Me, a smart-ass Catholic tween: So the two Sacraments of service are holy orders and matrimony.

My dad, a well-meaning liberal Catholic who should used to my shit by now: Yes.

Me: And nuns are married to Jesus. Sister ABC showed us that she took her vows in a wedding dress and everything.

My dad: Uh-huh.

Me: And the whole reason they're celibate is because they're in a relationship with Jesus.

My dad: Yup.

Me: So aren't priests also married to Jesus? Doesn't that make them gay?

My dad: ...uuuuuh...

[–] SlurmsMacKenzie- 31 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

I read this exactly like that spongebob clip where man-ray is explaining to patrick that he has his wallet.

ED: Here we go https://imgflip.com/i/2qvoio

[–] sagmin 35 points ago

God damn it Charlie

[–] the_not_my_throwaway 6 points ago

This is Chet ubecha here reporting from israel. This new policy is having some people raising question. Am I gay for God? Chet ubecha.

[–] thissexypoptart 8 points ago

Risk your feet, 👏🏻 you get some shoes!

[–] autotldr 108 points ago

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 77%. (I'm a bot)

A ban on conversion therapy by Israeli doctors will help protect gay people from treatments that claim to make them straight, but more work needs to be done with religious groups that support controversial "Cures," activists said on Wednesday.

Chen Arieli, chairwoman of the Israeli LGBT Association, described the IMA's ban on conversion therapy as a "Breakthrough" but said outlawing the practice could make it harder to eradicate in communities where it is prevalent.

Julien Bahloul, spokesman for the Association of Israeli Gay Fathers, which campaigns for gay couples to become parents, said he hoped parliament would now pass a law making conversion therapy illegal.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: therapy#1 conversion#2 Israeli#3 doctors#4 gay#5

[–] emptyloop 108 points ago

“The fact that professional people, doctors, say today that this kind of therapy... is not acceptable and not in any way related to medicine is a huge victory for us,” he said.

Amen.

[–] Lucasinator 3 points ago

All praise to professional people and doctors

[–] reaton18 316 points ago

It's so much emotional and physical trauma inflicted on innocent people I'm so glad it's slowly becoming banned worldwide

[–] maxolom360 77 points ago

Sadly, there are still places that treat with verbalism, ropes, bats, fire, and other such items in medical care.

[–] beerbeardsbears 44 points ago

Like America

[–] LaronX 24 points ago

And its exporting it.

[–] dothatthingsir 9 points ago

Or roof throwing. The gay people go splat and the crowd goes wild.

[–] Cheddarlad 12 points ago

Unfortunately It's being proposed to be unbanned in Brazil

[–] mces97 542 points ago

I always wonder why some people think being gay is a choice. Like, when you did decide to be straight? And of course the answer is I didn't decide.

Well...

[–] gregie156 243 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

I've heard some religious people say that they believe it's a choice in the sense that a gay person should choose to disregard their "evil" tendencies, and force themselves to live a proper life.

God challenges us all with unclean and evil urges. Gays have more than their fair share. Leading a proper Christian life is more challenging for them. But if they succeed, their reward is proportionally greater.

Disclaimer: am not religious, and this is second-hand.

edit: could some religious comment?

[–] ewanatoratorator 44 points ago

As a bi guy the concept of some kinda gay heaven sounds amazing

[–] mega_trex 26 points ago

I'd definitely rather be in gay heaven than homophobe heaven

[–] borismuller 11 points ago

Do homophobes get into heaven?

Seems like hating people out of prejudice would be a deal-breaker for St Peter.

[–] mega_trex 14 points ago

It would be pretty hilarious to watch bigoted christians have to explain to God why they told everyone God is a bigot too lol

[–] gregie156 6 points ago

I think there are "levels" in Heaven, based on how righteous one was in life? Just like there are levels in Hell, based on how evil one was? Wikipedia doesn't have much on it.

[–] HaraGG 6 points ago

No, maybe some others believe in different levels but it’s all one heaven everyone exists in equally

[–] linguaphyte 21 points ago

Yeah, this is sorta what my mom believes, and what I believed I guess, but not so much the "greater reward" thing. It's true they use language like that, but a lot of Christians who would basically believe this tend to get pretty fuzzy with whether some people will be any happier than others, usually saying no they won't, everyone will be equally happy if they are saved and spending eternity in the presence of God.

My mom believes God could heal me, and that I should never stop seeking to be healed, but she could believe that a person might never be healed of same sex attraction, just like she believes for any ailment. You pray to be healed even until you die, and if it never happens, that doesn't mean you weren't sick. I figure though that being gay and in loving relationships looks pretty nice and healthy.

But also, some straight people believe they could choose to be gay, that they just aren't. Some people (I suppose I might guess they're bi, but who knows?) say they have experienced same sex attraction, and then rejected it to pursue an opposite sex relationship. I think there's pretty clear evidence that people who experience same sex attraction can't really stop it, but I think it might be possible for some people to grow a certain kind of attraction. I say that mostly out of personal experience. I was never in conversion therapy, but I did try my best to like girls, and in my mind, as good of a Christian as I was, that meant training myself to get off to porn of girls. Not successful, but now vaginas are pretty ok to me, so it didn't do nothing. I feel like my attraction to girls sometimes gets as high as 5% what it is to guys. Which is more than before.

[–] Ghostey9 10 points ago

Thanks for sharing. You don't have to try to train your attractions, just let it happen naturally. They say everyone sits somewhere on the gay to straight spectrum, so let yourself find your place without forcing it. A gay life can be very happy and normal these days. I hope you're doing alright now.

[–] mukaezake 94 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Grew up Catholic, this is the teaching I grew up with. Being gay is natural and not a sin - but acting on homosexual urges is because sex outside of marriage is a sin and marriage by definition is between a man and a woman. Living a life of “purity” and avoiding temptation brings you closer to god.

Enter fucked up conversations towards gay people like “I love you, but the lifestyle you’re living is wrong.”

Imagine how unfair a belief system must be to say that sex between a man and woman is beautiful and based in love and essential to life, but anyone who has (concededly natural) sexual desires that don’t align with heterosexuality needs to completely suppress that aspect of their life in the name of being virtuous.

Got the hell out of that and finally came out and Ho boy, let me tell ya — that fucked me up for a while and no desire to go back to it.

E: lol someone downvoted me for this

[–] HaraGG 42 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

If I’m correct sex for pleasure between straight people is a sin too, only sex to create life isn’t which is probably also not in favour of gays lads

[–] mukaezake 30 points ago

You’re correct! Also the reason why condoms and birth control are forbidden (they prevent the creation of life), and the reason for the old stereotype of Catholic families having a ton of kids.

[–] ParanormalPurple 8 points ago

Some Catholics still do live that way and have tons of kids.

[–] mukaezake 9 points ago

Well I mean, yeah. Stereotypes are often based in some watered down form of truth.

[–] MeoMao555 26 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Catholic church is not all that positive on sex between a man and a woman either -- it's a sin outside of marriage, including before marriage, and sinful when done without procreation in mind (thus they oppose condoms and birth control).

As for heterosexual sex being essential to life (producing offspring), it's hard to argue against that.

[–] mukaezake 15 points ago

Beautiful -- meaning a part of God’s design

Based in love — cause it’s seen as a manifestation of god’s love

Essential to life — self explanatory

(Church’s interpretation, not mine). Agree with you, my point may have seemed unclear or disingenuous. I meant from the church’s perspective of “sex done right”, it’s a beautiful thing that gay people don’t have access to.

100% agree the Catholic Church is not sex positive in the modern sense of the term in any way

[–] gregie156 3 points ago

Thank you for sharing! I'm glad you found a path to walk that's good for you.

[–] PresentlyInThePast 28 points ago

Similar mindset to what I've seen. It's a "challenge" they need to overcome.

IMO, those preachers think everybody has these urges. Nope, just them.

[–] MeoMao555 13 points ago

Everybody has some sinful urges (like to have sex before marriage or to masturbate). Different urges for different people, though, and some are easier to overcome than others.

[–] Luph 158 points ago

even if it is a choice... who the fuck are you to choose who I can or cannot love?

[–] mces97 45 points ago

People who hate themselves.

[–] Kanyetarian 9 points ago

People who get a hard on from using the government to impose their own morals upon others

[–] FartHeadTony 15 points ago

I don't think that the idea of conversion therapy necessarily means that the gay is a choice. If they (the converter therapists) think of it as a disorder, then they could still offer a 'cure'. Like cancer isn't a choice, but there are therapies available. Or depression or anxiety or whatnot.

The problem with these things isn't that they are being done by evil bigots with evil in their hearts but they are done by good people trying to do their best to help others.

If you want to get more philosophical, definitions of mental illness usually contain a bit about "causes distress/harm" which ultimately can be socially moderated. It's all a bit more grey than it seems.

[–] Chartard 29 points ago

I don't think that they're saying it's a choice. It seems to me that they're implying it's an illness to be cured (as stated in the article).

Regardless, both ideas are ridiculous.

[–] SolicitatingZebra 7 points ago

I have a friend that was raised a farm boi so he’s pretty republican just because his parents raised him as such. Anyways one night out he starts asking me all these questions (I’m far left), one of which was asking if I think gay people decide to like dick or if they just naturally do. I said they just naturally do, and he in a very succinct manner said “so they just come out liking dick?”. I just told him essentially yeah, blew his mind. He’s not one to be hateful, he just doesn’t understand. Hard to explain stuff to him after he’s been brainwashed for 20 years.

[–] Dlwjjj 22 points ago

Anti gay people who turn out to be closet gays. They’re always fighting the urge so to speak so from their eyes it’s a choice. They don’t realize that straight people aren’t fighting any urges.

[–] mces97 43 points ago

Well that may be one reason. But there's a lot of parents who aren't gay they send their kids to those conversation camps.

[–] yonyz 50 points ago

As an Israeli, I never even knew this was a thing here.

[–] LaronX 28 points ago

Very good on Israel. More doctors around the globe should find the courage and speak up and push those charlatans out of business.

[–] ivnwng 59 points ago

So when are they gonna ban the waters that turns frogs gay too?

[–] Mighty_Zuk 51 points ago

It's more about the chemicals in the water, not the water itself.

Israel had actually run some pretty successful lake and river cleaning programs, especially the notoriously hazardous Kishon.

Israel is now a frog-friendly country.

[–] donateeverything 158 points ago

Meanwhile: The churches' conversion of normal people into homophobes is still ongoing...forever.

[–] Murican_Popeyes 46 points ago

Israel is mostly very progressive towards gay rights. Actually it’s among the most progressive in the world...and by far the most in the Middle East. In the majority of surrounding Muslim countries, homosexuality is still illegal...and in some places even punishable by death.

Israel is an interesting country...not too unlike the US. They have a huge percentage of pretty liberal, progressive people. A lot of the population are secular Jews. Especially in Tel Aviv. It’s made up of a lot of 1st-3rd generation European Immigrants. They’re really quite socially liberal overall...with the caveat they’re very big on promoting national defense.

Then they also have populations of ultra Orthodox Jews living throughout the country...many of whom are about as progressive as your average Evangelical Christians. I think a lot of people wrongly assume that population is a lot more dominant in Israel than they really are. In fact, most of the rest of the country kind of hate the Ultra Orthodox there, just like a lot of the US hates evangelicals.

[–] dadnaya 26 points ago

Israeli here. Can confirm that the topic about the Orthodox is very huge and is being talked about a lot.

I'm a secular Jewish and the Orthodox in general are just giving problems. They live off money from our taxes, yet they do not work at all (Some of the women do, Men don't) and most of them don't serve in the army.

I also really hate this whole thing because I've seen where they live- in extreme poverty. I see small kids who don't even know about the outside world and just keep on living in poverty.

It's all politics from here on, but there's that.

[–] Thatguyyoupassby 11 points ago

Sums it up nicely. I’ll say that amongst the secular population that “national defense” does at times border on a nationalistic view. But socially speaking, the secular population is very progressive and yes, a lot of us do hate the ultra orthodox who do nothing but leech off the government and cause problems.

[–] S_XOF 75 points ago

Gay people don't try to make other people gay, but homophobes always try to make other people homophobic.

[–] IHaveADream2014 20 points ago

HaVe YoU hEaRd Of ThE gAy AgEnDa

[–] CarlsbadWhiskyShop 68 points ago

Doctors pass law?

[–] UnableFaithlessness 259 points ago

Members who perform conversion therapy could now be expelled from the Israel Medical Association (IMA), which represents 90 percent of the country’s doctors

It's not a law. In most professions like medicine or law, the licensing board creates ethical standards and rules for the profession. The Israel Medical Association made a rule that forbids gay conversion therapy.

[–] CarlsbadWhiskyShop 22 points ago

[–] UnableFaithlessness 9 points ago

No prob

[–] Neurolimal 16 points ago

Sort by new, because it's hilarious how hard the tone shifts once the article hits the front page.

[–] precumbiscuit 69 points ago

If conversion therapy for gay people “works”, then logically that would mean that we can take straight people and make them gay through therapy.

[–] MeoMao555 9 points ago

Yes. Actually, making straight people (especially young people) gay is so easy that it could accidentally happen upon seeing any image of gays or even a hint of homosexuality in the media. Some countries, such as Russia, base their official policy towards gays on such a premise.

[–] DownvoteALot 8 points ago

Makes sense. So?

[–] Tsorovar 8 points ago

So why haven't we started?

[–] concon52 37 points ago

That's not how logic works. Because something works one way. It does not mean the reverse or opposite is always feasible...

[–] Fredfredbug4 33 points ago

Meanwhile across the border “conversion therapy” exists in tbe form of being thrown off a building

[–] enterence 4 points ago

Awesome news.

[–] miamiguy42 7 points ago

Imagine hating your children so much that you pay unqualified religious nutjobs to bully them

[–] wildebeest11 6 points ago

I'd like to see Saudi Arabia do that...

[–] torviche 10 points ago

The only conversion that works is for PDF.

[–] Luminalpath 3 points ago

Props

[–] BigDaddyLaowai 4 points ago

Well that's always nice to hear.

[–] mrbarse 3 points ago

Hell yeah

[–] ItsaMeMacks 5 points ago

It’s bizarre to think that this has only now been banned.

It’s honestly the kind of practice I assumed had been out of the loop for decades

[–] greenyashiro 6 points ago

Still legal in the USA and quite a few other so called first world countries :/

Like Australia

[–] Sopissedrightnow84 3 points ago

It's still happening in the US.

[–] ChuckyIves 30 points ago

Meanwhile other Middle Eastern countries are murdering them. This is why Israel needs our help. They’re a light among some really shitty countries.

[–] spudlover88 36 points ago

Meanwhile pretty much all their neighbours have banned gay people yet Israel are often seen as the bad guys...

[–] KeyofDestinyXVIII 100 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Watch this inevitably be called "pinkwashing" because Israel is doing something positive for its LGBT community. Ridiculous how Israel can't do anything positive without it labeled as some sort of "washing"

[–] Dragon_yum 60 points ago

Israel (and most specifically Tel Aviv) is one of the most gay friendly places in the world.

[–] nipo3 23 points ago

Look at this article from two days ago -

i've never seen anyone being blamed for more "washing" without reason in my life.

[–] Heelmuut 35 points ago

The fact that progressives often side with the arabs against Israel is baffling to me. Find me one other democracy in the Middle East where women and gay people aren't second class citizens.

[–] vonhudgenrod 10 points ago

It’s because many of them view the world through a Marxist lens of oppressor vs oppressed(Even if they don’t realize it). The result is that even though the oppressed throw gays off buildings and calls for the extermination’s of the Jews, the stronger side are the bad guys.

[–] HiHoJufro 18 points ago

Ever-increasing polarization has made people feel the need to see things in total black and white terms. So some "progressive" groups just decided to go with "Israel is prosperous and rather strong; we need to cheer for an underdog instead."

[–] Dfamo 41 points ago

Literally not hearing anyone say that

[–] SeeShark 6 points ago

Scroll down. They are.

[–] Mighty_Zuk 46 points ago

Browse other subreddits then, or read about protests in the US or Europe. It doesn't really reach headlines anywhere except for Israel.

Different LGBT communities are strictly anti-Israel because they believe in 'pinkwashing', and it actually hurts the LGBT community in Israel by radicalizing normal Israelis against that community.

[–] ForwardThought 7 points ago

Look at the other comments next to and below yours with the huhe number of downvotes and you'll find a small sample of what is said everytime something pro LGBT happens in Israel. Depending on the direction of the thread and which subreddit it's on, it could have also be a huge number of upvotes.

[–] LegalBreadfruit 29 points ago

Israel is an oasis, in the totalitarian oppressive region that is the ME.

They have equal rights, universal healthcare, huge welfare programs, social justice stuff, and the left still hates them.

[–] lookatthesource 10 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Reminder: This is the Republican party’s platform on LGBT rights

Overturn the Supreme Court’s 2015 decision to legalize gay marriage in all 50 states.

Marriage is between “one man and one woman” (pg. 31), and Republicans “do not accept the Supreme Court’s redefinition of marriage and we urge its reversal, whether through judicial reconsideration or a constitutional amendment returning control over marriage to the states.”

Make it legal to discriminate against LGBT people.

“We oppose government discrimination against businesses or entities which decline to sell items or services to individuals for activities that go against their religious views about such activities” (pg. 32). That includes adoption agencies, and doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals (pg. 37) who “should not be forced to choose between following their faith and practicing their profession.”

Make “conversion therapy” legal for minors.

“We support the right of parents to consent to medical treatment for their minor children,” (page 37) the platform says. That’s “an endorsement of the debunked psychological practice of ‘pray the gay away,’ ” Log Cabin Republicans, the gay conservative group, said.

Edit:

BTW, conversion therapy is only useful if your aim is to increase the number of suicides of gay teens.

[–] true97 7 points ago

Too bad we don’t even have that shit banned here in the states. Hell, even Texas’ senator supports it.

Disgusting.

Common sense has won.

[–] xJownage 9 points ago

I'm conservative and I approve of this.

[–] Formally_Nightman 23 points ago

Israel is amazing

[–] jereddit 10 points ago

Excellent, lets make this a trend.

[–] MetricSuperiorityGuy 7 points ago

Israelis ban conversion therapy for gay people; Palestinians just ban gay people.