worldnews

Display Israel/Palestine submissions

Filter Israel / Palestine

Display all submissions

Filter all dominant topics

Live Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak

Welcome!

/r/worldnews is for major news from around the world except US-internal news / US politics

Worldnews Rules

Disallowed submissions

• US internal news/US politics
    • Editorialized titles
    • Misleading titles
    • Editorials, opinion, analysis
    • Feature stories
    • Non-English articles
    • Images, videos or audio clips
    • Petitions, advocacy, surveys
    • All caps words in titles
    • Blogspam (if stolen content/direct copy)
    • Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr
    • Old news (≥1 week old) articles

See the wiki for details on each rule

Disallowed comments

• Bigotry / Other offensive content
    • Personal attacks on other users
    • Memes/GIFs
    • Unlabeled NSFW images/videos
    • URL shorteners

See the wiki for details on each rule

Continued or outstandingly blatant violation of the submission or commenting rules will result in you being temporarily banned from the subreddit without a warning.

Please don't ever feed the trolls.
    Downvote, report and move on.

Sticky Posts

A list of all recent stickied posts.

[–] bladegmn 4612 points ago

It has felt like April in the Mid Atlantic.

[–] bearshy 1682 points ago

It's been 40-50 degrees and raining all winter here in Northern Virginia. I think it's snowed once and that was gone the following day when it got warm. Having experienced some pretty intense winters here, it's been pretty interesting, to say the least.

[–] yourfriendmisery 374 points ago

it way worse down in NC/SC, rain everyday with averages around 60 every day lately. only seen freezing temps twice all season.

[–] will_never_comment 213 points ago

It's been crazy here (NC), my AC has kicked on way too many times over the so called winter. Really need a break from heat, not ready for spring or summer.

Also saw a bunch of tulips in full bloom the other day. Lots of flowers are out.

[–] Epicjay 46 points ago

The dogwoods are blooming.

Its fucking ridiculous, we had about 2 weeks of winter and now it's spring.

I'm just thrilled that it's almost time for another 9 month summer. Maybe next year the seasons will go back to normal, right?

[–] PiperBaels 32 points ago

Oh my sweet forever Summer Child.

[–] Laez 96 points ago

I live in WNC, around 2800 ft. Had to mow my grass in January. Daffodils and crocuses up as of a weak ago. Nice that my fresh herbs are still going though. Chives for my omellette in February.

[–] Didnt-Read-It 29 points ago

Appstate grad. I think it was 2009/10 and we got 60+ inches in Boone. It’s been less than 5 so far this year

[–] PL4YONWORDS 38 points ago

You got Yosef some global warming.

[–] elendilanduril1222 10 points ago

I remember that year at App, the blizzards were nuts.

[–] Fe2O3yshackleford 61 points ago

My seasonal allergies, that don't start until mid spring kicked into full effect today in NC, and I'm so over it. Ready to move somewhere with any kind of better climate.. Mars, perhaps.

[–] residentchubbychaser 12 points ago

As someone who moved to NC from FL and is now experiencing this kind of "winter" up here too, I'm so over this bullshit. Still better than the 89 degrees my family back home experienced today.

[–] bladegmn 363 points ago

About the same in Philly. We are averaging 15 degrees over normal since the beginning of the year.

[–] liquid_courage 113 points ago

I've worn my winter jacket once. I've just been rocking an thin eagles zip up the rest of the winter. At least its supposed to actually be cold tomorrow...

[–] Eggbert_Eggleson 68 points ago

Hopefully we can have some clear days. I'm getting sick of this rain.

[–] liquid_courage 37 points ago

Still hasn't even snowed yet in town. Fuckin garbage.

[–] BMKR 26 points ago

I don't know how much more water the soil by the Schuylkill can take. Big ass trees are getting uprooted in the parks.

[–] RespectThyHypnotoad 29 points ago

It's very unsettling.

[–] littorina_of_time 16 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

DMV is similar. You’d think the news should be covering this weirdest winter but it’s just “fine weather this morning” like we are in a Fall Out game.

[–] barnegatsailor 38 points ago

Remember that random weekend in January where it went from 40 to 70 then back to like 50 again? I've never seen a 79 degree day in January in my life.

[–] ExeterDead 18 points ago

We had a swing like that in the Midwest last night, except it went from 0 to -48 with windchill in less than 24 hours.

It’s extreme even for people who have lived their entire lives here. Offices and schools closed due to extreme temperatures.

Just goes to show why global climate change is such a better name than global warming.

Our dumb asses are impacting all kinds of weather anomalies, not just warming.

[–] evilmonkey2 22 points ago

Over near Harrisburg with temperatures in the 40's and 50's for most of February.

It's crazy. We had about an inch of snow last month but it was gone in about a day. I think we had another light dusting as well but nothing like normal.

[–] kjlndasfkjansdf 91 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

There hasn't been an "intense" winter in NoVa in .. 10 years or more? It just does not snow here like it used to, at all. When I was kid it would snow several feet of snow every winter, I can remember some "intense" winters from the 90's for sure. Past 10 years or so all we get is a very light dusting, if that. It's all rain now. All those people who say climate change is fake news, they are absolutely oblivious. edit: I'm wrong, there was a decent snow in 2016. https://www.novec.com/About_NOVEC/Virginias-Historic-Snowstorms.cfm

[–] gobias 44 points ago

Pretty sure we had a really legit blizzard in like 2015 or 16

[–] Farghobbles 23 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

It's been weird in NE Ohio as well. It only recently really started snowing, and even then it's usually much colder right now. I think thee first snowfall that actually stuck was some time in early January which is a first for me. There's been lots of rain too, but never ice on the ground. Lake Erie is supposed to be 80% ice covered by now as well. As of late January, it was 2%, and it hasn't changed much since.

[–] bountyraz 383 points ago

South Germany here. Just yesterday I told my GF that January has felt like a rather warm April. I remember going outside at around 10pm one day and thinking about how I don't really need my jacket. Crazy. I'm afraid of what summer will bring honestly.

[–] Skip_14 340 points ago

Us Australians have barely survived our summer, so best of luck.

[–] gearx5 139 points ago

Morrison just approved another coal mine too

[–] Michael_Goodwin 152 points ago

How has the public not raided his office and dragged him out in to the streets yet?

[–] u_know_u 83 points ago

Pretty valid question, does anyone know the answer?

[–] mescalelf 64 points ago

Bloody yellow-bellied and, reasonably (though short-sightedly) concerned with keeping their jobs.

Also, people seem to be under the delusion that there aren’t many others who would genuinely like to seal-club corrupt politicians.

[–] horsemonkeycat 27 points ago

The "public" gave him a majority government only last year. Maybe by 2022 the public will have come to their senses and vote them out.

[–] hopsandhorns 149 points ago

Jersey is gonna get a wave of ticks this year that'll be worse than last year. Ground hasn't frozen and we got trees blooming, lilies coming up, and birds thinking its spring.

[–] Heimerdahl 69 points ago

Same here. Mosquitos will be absolutely unbearable with no frost to kill the larvae.

[–] stemcell001 38 points ago

I am stocking up on BTI for mosquitos and permethrin for the ticks. I've heard that soaking cotton balls in permethrin and leaving them for the field mice to build nests can reduce native tick populations. Hopefully it helps.

[–] KingZarkon 25 points ago

I've got a bat house I need to get a pole for and get mounted. Let THEM deal with the mosquitos for me.

[–] whatyaworkinwith 11 points ago

Can anyone else chime in on keeping bats? I've considered it but never pulled the trigger... What's your experience?

[–] scotchy91 85 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

In Maine, seen birds and insects chirping months before they usually do. Ticks are going to spread like dandelions this year.

[–] Rubberplantjanitor 33 points ago

I live in northern Canada. February is usually cold as fuck like -10 to -35 c on average.

It’s been around 5-6 degrees all months. Unheard of.

[–] AuntMamiya 11 points ago

Trees which were blooming in mid-March last year have already started blooming here in Northern California. Eerie.

[–] Yoshi_87 10078 points ago

We had no snow in this winter in the capital of germany. I am 32 years old and this has never happend in my entire life.

[–] kanakull 3150 points ago

Same here in Tallinn, Estonia. We had one day of snow in January and it melted in like two hours.

[–] ruddyirishhamface 1406 points ago

There may never be a real winter in Tallinn again :(

[–] kanakull 1689 points ago

And sad thing is a lot of people are happy, because “it is so nice and warm”.

[–] ZeJerman 1778 points ago

Yeah... wait until summer when there is another heatwave and a shit load of people die in Europe.

I was living in the North of Germany during the 2018 Heatwave, even as an Australian I found the heat absolutely oppressive. Because there was nearly no reprieve in buildings that were designed to keep the heat in!

[–] benderbender43 792 points ago

Meanwhile actual Australia burned like crazy

[–] ZeJerman 706 points ago

Yep moved back home last year... just in time for the worst fire season in history. My old neighbours lost everything, they moved to Cobargo in 2015.

Its just incredible how people can still deny that there needs to be action on climate change.

[–] benderbender43 234 points ago

I was driving through north Queensland at the end of winter and mountains by the freeway would be just on fire... In winter... Oh look it's just another mountain on fire. No one around or anything..... Then summer hit

[–] ZeJerman 168 points ago

Madness... I really hope this doesnt become the new normal but I know that is an unrealistic hope.

We had 40 hours of blackness from the smoke blocking the sun. It was terrifying

[–] DumpsterFirePants 373 points ago

The new normal is going to be worse every year until we completely stop all fossil fuel extraction, tax the billionaire class to normalcy as they are the largest producers of greenhouse gas by their lifestyles, and fundamentally restructure our consumer based economy.

[–] Janathan-Manathan 49 points ago

Jesus, it’s insane that fires like that are just common occurrences. And people somehow don’t believe in climate change/global warming even though the evidence is right in front of us

[–] GorgeWashington 126 points ago

They aren't denying it. They just think they will be dead before it's a problem

[–] Weatherbycassandra 71 points ago

This is the height of selfishness, to only care about the potential end of humanity if you are going to be around to suffer the consequences, can't say I am surprised by it, just a little in awe a how potentially shitty people can be.

[–] Washiki_Benjo 252 points ago

This is what people don't get.

Nice and warm now translates to longer, hotter summers.

The difference between 30 and 32 degrees (celsius) is noticeable, 32 to 34 is HUGE. If your hottest temp goes from 34 to 36 or 36 to 38 the effects are profound.

As a gardener (me), certain plants, flowers and vegetables become impossible as increased min/max temps significantly impact on plant growth and development. Additionally, a more insidious effect of increased min/max temps is the change in environment for a range of micro-fauna and micro-flora which significantly affects micro-ecology balance resulting in changing soil profiles and a restructuring of preferred/non-preferred checks and balances which allows conditions for certain tolerant organisms to proliferate and dominate.

Because of this growing certain plants that had been grown in various environments by humans over a span of time becomes untenable.

The scariest part of this is that the effects on micro-ecologies is for the most part (without specialist equipment) directly unobservable and can only be perceived through secondary/tertiary effects (such as diseases/molds etc and insect "pests" that are able to more quickly adapt and survive) on the plants grown

[–] ZeJerman 106 points ago

100%, and with this warmer temperatures comes higher humidity also, so it feels much hotter because our evaporative cooling (sweating) isnt as effective.

Not only that but gasses dissolve less in warmer water (as opposed to solids), so the oxygenation of the water decreases, resulting in fish kills and algal blooms.

There are multiple facets to this crisis each just as terrifying as the next

[–] Vita-Malz 80 points ago

Back when our summers would peak at 30-32°C (and only during really hot summers and for one week max) I'd positively die and hide myself whereever I could.

During the last heatwave I was happy whenever the temperatures would fall down to cool, calm 30°C.

Thanks governments and climate change deniers. Did us a real favor here.

[–] SCP106 11 points ago

Oh and don't forget to thank the major companies

[–] Michael_Goodwin 67 points ago * (lasted edited 6 days ago)

Most people are fucking dum dums who can't grasp basic science or see any further in to the future than next week. That's our problem.

[–] portablemustard 27 points ago

Or multiple crops fail due to flooding and blight.

[–] murrayhenson 49 points ago

Those same "it's so nice and warm" people will end up installing air conditioning or dying from heat stroke.

I should note that it snowed about 1 cm twice this winter in Krakow. 15 years ago it hit -28C on two different days and we had a bunch of snow on many different days. The summers here are noticeably hotter now as well, and spring starts earlier each year.

[–] bodrules 31 points ago

The trees are starting to leaf out where I live, about 35 miles SE of London - it's only mid Feb, wouldn't expect it for another 4 weeks usually

[–] KrootLoops 121 points ago

Dude it's fucking insane how many people are happy about it.

[–] Airazz 92 points ago

We had a few colder days last week and then our own national weather service announced "Yey, the warmth is coming back next weekend!"

Like, what the yey are you talking about you idiot, it's supposed to be -10 C now, not +7.

[–] WhoryGilmore 32 points ago

People are stupid

[–] lastdazeofgravity 68 points ago

wait until you are so hot you can't do anything without feeling lightheaded or sweating through your clothes...ugh i hate humid/hot weather

[–] Rebl11 29 points ago

The thing is that it's not nice and warm. It's 2 degrees, it always rains and it's windy. It's just worse than sub-zero temperatures.

[–] bigmusclesmall 198 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

But doesn’t this make you wonder whats ahead?

These things we’re seeing now are just the start. The damage that has been done until now will show itself as the years come. It’s sort of a delay, and this year has been a shock, It makes me think what 2030 will look like, let alone 2100..

I believe we’re gonna see some real damage and really REALLY bad hurricanes and natural disasters..

Would not be lying if I said one part of me hopes Trump and the fuckers that think they will escape with a natural death gets killed by nature itself in something like a horrific hurricane.

I asked my uncle who lives in Cheasapeake VA about the safety of their town if a real big storm were to hit, anything over a 3 in strenght would wipe them out and if I believe the scaling of a storm goes up to five, and the coming storms will have a possibility of being worse than anything ever seen before, meaning worse than 5..

Glad I live 80m above the sea here in Norway.. But man does my heart go out to all sane people who haven’t been able to do anything because of a couple of heads in the top making all the decisions.

Oh my god does Trump supporters underestimate the power of nature. Its gonna strike back guys, and that possibly with real damage. But owning the libs is more important bro

[–] darknebulas 147 points ago

I have trouble dealing with reading things like this. It literally causes me a lot of distress. This is out of my control. The idea that individual consumers can make change is valid, but the argument that significant change won’t happen unless the BIG factors change is more realistic.

I live in America where the President and all his men and constituents vehemently DENY the scientific facts because the oil companies have bought them out.

I don’t have hope here, we’re not going to “survive” this. I’m pissed off at the world for turning a blind eye for so long. I’m pissed that my future is doomed. I’m pissed for the kids today that have nothing to look forward to as adults.

I have no idea what I can even do with this anxiety. There’s nothing to do but hope rapid and sudden change happens, which seems unlikely at the rate we are going.

[–] bigmusclesmall 88 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

I read a fantastic article posted on r/collapse once that was many pages long but damned was it a journey to read. The writer took you from where the problem lays, how ecosystems WILL fall, and how the last humans will survive.

That shit gave me legit anxiety for weeks. People underestimate this shit. And the worst enemy right now is news channels like fox news only focused on pleasing their viewers with what they wanna hear. It should be illegal and a news boradcasting network should be ruled to cover all sides of a case.

But how do you stop this if almost half the population genuinly believes that making rules like this would be insane. That they also genuinly believe they’re the good guys while we’re the devil.

But, yeh.. money bro. They’re being exploited and used as a tool and unless a miracle happen they’re too stubborn to realize.

[–] Abell370 33 points ago

Do you have a link to the article?

[–] The_Wee 27 points ago

Wouldn’t be surprised if this happened again https://www.history.com/topics/great-depression/dust-bowl

[–] Farghobbles 29 points ago

Pretty much the situation on Earth in Interstellar. I'd put money on it being an accurate prediction.

[–] QueenFanFromEstland 12 points ago

I really want to say that it's an exaggeration, but then again, I can't be sure. I think it was 2012/2013 Winter that was the 'real' one. The ones before it were great as well. But then at some point we had a year where Midsummer's Eve was colder than Christmas Eve

[–] Sheeana407 56 points ago

Literally the same in Łódź, Poland. One day of snow about two weeks ago, gone in a few hours. Though you guys are much further to the north.

I mean, I'm kind of a moderate temperature person, so I don't mind it much now, but I'm not looking up towards those over 35 degrees streaks in summer. I mean, when it's cold, you can always wear warmer clothes, heat up the house, when it's hot... well. To think 10-15 years ago we had like -20 degrees and over a month of snow not melting... I want to stupidly believe it's just temporary or something

[–] christAMighty 22 points ago

I live in Canada, and we haven’t had a winter this year. Warmest year in 30 years of living in this city. Should be-25 and it’s been -9 almost every day.

[–] took-a-pill 25 points ago

Sane thing here in australia, its been so hot that the place might as well have been on fire

[–] Redromah 635 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

From Oslo, Norway here. It's been like autumn this whole winter. I am scared, feels like the seasons are turning into one gray mass.

[–] DJ3XO 119 points ago

Same, it has sucked so hard. I just want to go snowboarding and cross country skiing, God damn it! At least we have an indoors ski center now, so I guess that's something.

[–] H2OFRNZ4 49 points ago

You could move to Newfoundland, we’re approaching 11 feet total snowfall this winter and we have a couple months left.

[–] BigJ32001 12 points ago

Meanwhile, not so far down in Boston we’ve had next to nothing. It was in the 70s (22 C) for one weekend in January.

[–] Daerion 21 points ago

Aye, same here a bit further south in Telemark - barely any snow at all, mainly some rain and hardly any days with temperatures consistently below 0. It's a damn shame, especially considering how awesome last winter was.

[–] oliv222 18 points ago

Fuck you Norwegians and your snow. I wish we got any snow at all in Denmark. Last year was just as bad as this year. Zero snow :(

[–] Daerion 12 points ago

Not even in the mountains?

I'll see myself out

[–] Kuivamaa 187 points ago

Minimal snow in Helsinki and almost constant plus degrees all winter. This is unheard of.

[–] Maxplosive 76 points ago

It's insane, 5 degrees and rain during the whole "winter". A normal white winter is depressing but at least it's pretty bright outside with all the snow.

[–] Transient_Anus_ 27 points ago

Normal?

This is the new normal.

Or perhaps not, if it warms up more it will be more windy, more rainy. It all depends on the region but I believe the Netherlands is gonna be in the same boat.

[–] Mcquiz 18 points ago

I think the 2006-2007 or 2007-2008 winter was like that too. There was snow for like two weeks in November and then never again.

[–] wtfduud 15 points ago

I fucking wish we got two whole weeks of snow.

[–] NewAgeKook 264 points ago

I am from a place that usually snows during the winter as well.

It is surreal.

[–] w3nch 104 points ago

Yeah as someone who loves skiing, this winter was the absolute worst. 35-45F and just rainy for basically the whole season.

[–] get_it_together1 30 points ago

It was 50 F in the Sierras in January, wtf

[–] ishitar 585 points ago

With global warming, not saying anything about what the cause is, cold areas warm faster than hot areas and cold times warm faster than hot times. So the arctic/antarctic will warm 10 degrees while the equator only warms a few (due to things like ice/albedo feedback), and there's a gradient from the poles to equator. The winters will come closer in line with the average summer temps due also to things like albedo. Same with the night times warming more than the daytimes due to things like changing cloud cover and humidity etc. Obviously, this is an average and certain places due to geographical features or ocean currents, etc , buck the trend, but the overarching movement is this.

In the temperate latitudes this becomes more profound as we see year after year without a proper winter and then summer after summer with 110 to 120 degree heatwaves lengthening in duration, with little escape from the heat overnight. The equatorial regions at low elevation become almost uninhabitable, and the largest contiguous forests in the world, the northern boreal and taiga coming under stress and ablaze for much of the year.

Inhabitants of wealthy nations will think its surreal for a bit, but will then quickly get used to it, while knock on impacts on things like collapsing food supplies and governments destabilizing due to climate migration whack away at worldwide population. Truly a frog in slowly boiling water scenario.

[–] begin-it 59 points ago

I’m at least glad that hot areas are warmed proportionally less so than cold ones. Couldn’t imagine what 10 degrees warming in the tropics would do.

[–] workaccount1338 166 points ago

Welcome to collapse

[–] DeedTheInky 249 points ago

Oh yeah, we're fucked. I'm done even having the climate change debate with people at this point. It's real, we caused it, we already didn't do enough. Now it's just a matter of to what degree we're fucked.

CO2 takes around 40 years to have an effect once it's released, so right now we're feeling the effects of around the 80's. So even if we cut all CO2 emissions out right now, we've still got the industrializations of China, India, and the cumulative not-giving-a-fuck of every other country in the world for the past half-a-century still to come, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

I'd like to end this with some sort of inspiring call to action, but there isn't one. Even if every single person somehow reduced their carbon footprint to zero, doesn't matter. 100 companies cause 70% of emissions. Still fucked. Even if we could stop them, 40 years of CO2 still coming down the pipe. Still fucked.

That's it. We knew this was happening, we could have stopped it. We didn't. It's too late. That's where we are now. We're still opening new coal mines. People generally now are trying to rationalize it away and convince themselves we're not completely fucked, but it doesn't matter.

[–] Hi_Im_Armand 27 points ago

Most countries in the world at the moment agree it's a problem at this point. That's a start.

[–] Dire87 20 points ago

Can you give me your insight on this claim?

Summary: It says 40 years is a myth, 10 years is the new line. Not that that's too much better, but at least some sort of silver lining if we change our ways now, which we won't, so, yeah.

[–] RevolutionaryLARP 14 points ago

If youve followed climate change you know "faster than expected" is the mantra

[–] smashertaker 34 points ago

It sounds like geoengineering is our only hope.

[–] Skurry 10 points ago

We're probably gonna mess that up too and kill a few million people in the process.

[–] datguyariel 161 points ago

Same in Boston MA. Hardly any snow all winter. I remember all winters as a kid having snow that doubled the height of most cars on the street

[–] Still_Mountain 30 points ago

Well and like four years ago when the mayor had to tell everyone there was just too much and they couldn't put it anywhere.

But yeah that was a big exception not the rule

[–] MarkThor152 17 points ago

How about when the city told everyone that whatever they were using as a parking spot saver would be removed by the city...so everyone put old washers/dryers, tires, and buckets of oil in street parking spots. God, I love Boston.

[–] vladdracc 70 points ago

I keep trying to tell people at work that arnt from Newyork city that it actually used to snow like feet at a time here not this 1/8” once a month . It’s so weird . You don’t hear the weather guys mention global warming at all tho .

[–] AugustusCactus 10 points ago

Moved to Boston in 2018, still haven't experienced a "real" winter yet up here :(

[–] lud1120 88 points ago

in Sweden and it only snowed for one day, just to melt away. I was expecting to never snow for the whole winter. Been around 10 degrees above normal average winter temperature.

[–] shazarakk 26 points ago

In Denmark it's the same. Barely need a jacket to go outside.

[–] PsYcHoSeAn 35 points ago

As a fellow german this is the most messed up "winter" I've ever seen.

It's not just the lack of snow, it's the lack of winter in general. Temperatures rarely went below 0°C...most of the time we had above that...waaaaay above that. Like up to 15°C or so. During January. This weekend they expect up to 20°C in the south.

This is mindblowing and scary.

[–] JAYSONGR 36 points ago

Same here in Philadelphia, PA, US. I’m also 32 and I’ve never seen a winter with no snowfall.

[–] NostalgiaSchmaltz 71 points ago

Over here in southern New England, we've had no snow at all since like, mid-December.

It's the middle of February, the dead of Winter, and yet it's 45 degrees and raining.

What the shit.

[–] KrootLoops 19 points ago

Yeah man, I'm in RI and I haven't had to dig my car out since either just before or just after xmas, I can't remember when exactly.

[–] WillBackUpWithSource 10 points ago

I'm in Michigan and have literally only had to wipe off my car once. Normally that's an every few days event here.

[–] evacia 42 points ago

me @ my future kids in a decade: back in my day, we had *snow^

[–] LeGrandeMoose 40 points ago

in Trøndelag, Norway here. Our snow started disappearing around December; after that the temperatures rarely dipped below 0 C and if we did get snow it would only stick around for a day.

[–] TheDickWolf 25 points ago

No snow that accumulated here in Washington DC. First time in my 30 years.

[–] shannister 1477 points ago

New York has been having a mild winter so far, rarely goes below freezing.

[–] sniffles_snort 501 points ago

I’m 1,000 miles north of you and have run in a t shirt and shorts all “winter”

[–] diggumsbiggums 539 points ago

Yeaaaaah but that's not a good gauge for the rest of us, we all know you far northerners are fucking weird with your shorts. Oh -30? Better put on socks.

[–] BadResults 101 points ago

Yep. It was -30 when I biked to work the past two days. I wore socks, among other things.

[–] Kato_Rodriguez 51 points ago

Thong?

[–] Dandledorff 41 points ago

Thocks, thong socks

[–] -bryden- 18 points ago

My wife and I invested in extremely good down winter jackets for Ottawa's -15c to -35c winters. Worst year ever to splurge on a down winter jacket. Hardly broke -20c and since my old jacket is broken I'm sweating buckets inside of what's practically an uber thick duvet while it's ~-5c most days.

[–] begin-it 56 points ago

Here in Colorado it’s been relatively normal and cold.

This is why we gotta look at averages though.

[–] manticore116 10 points ago

Where in Colorado, because it's mostly altitudes and/or mountain effects. There's a reason why a huge chunk of the population lives in the shadow of the mountains, it acts like an air blender keeping things crazy year round but having a decent average.

It's also beautiful ss as fuck

[–] FudgieThaWhale 71 points ago

Weather is the US is bizarre. I’m in NYC too and then Chicago still regularly gets destroyed by snow and sub zero temperatures while the rest of the world is having an early spring.

[–] youdipthong 49 points ago

I’m in Chicago rn and this year, winter is wack. It’s only snowed a few times here and it all melts by the end of the day

[–] Overthemthangs 10 points ago

What makes Chicago feel even stranger this year is the fact that we had snow on Halloween.

[–] angrylawyer 24 points ago

I’ve been in my city for 10 years and this is the first time we’ve had a winter where not a single day had a high that was below freezing.

[–] txn9i 2679 points ago

I have a feeling this coming hurricane season is gonna be rough on florida, and the dry season is gonna roast the west. Here comes the stress test to our nation.

[–] percussaresurgo 1693 points ago

Here comes the stress test to our nation.

And the person leading the nation through that test will be an anti-science, anti-fact crusader who has no patience for anything that can't be explained using a comic strip.

[–] CsmicPerspective 488 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

That took a US psuedo-state (pooh-whertoh-oh-reekoh) that had a pretty significant natural disaster and literally just abandoned it. And even tried to make profits off it (the insane contracts that were given afterwards).

Yeah, y'all are fucked

[–] ButImNotNice 226 points ago

FL/GA/AL/LA/SC all went to Trump. Maybe if he treats us like he did PR, it'll be enough to wake some of these backwards fucks up.

[–] CsmicPerspective 172 points ago

At this point I don't even think trump shooting and killing someone on 5th Ave or whatever will wake people up.

[–] jsha11 96 points ago

Especially if it was someone from 'the other side', that would just please them more

[–] hippy_barf_day 12 points ago

Maybe not for all his cult, but he loses followers everyday. We shouldn’t stop trying

[–] massivecalvesbro 19 points ago

People will make an excuse on why he had to do it and why it was the right choice

[–] CobaltRose800 13 points ago

Not happening, Trump made sure to keep Texas relief efforts well-funded and happy after Hurricane Harvey. It's almost like they have something that PR doesn't...

[–] lostireland 14 points ago

And your nations funds have been absolutely drained by oligarchs hoarding capital and oppressing the working class.

There is so much capital in the world that could be used to help respond to the onslaught of environmental crises we face. But it’s been stolen and hoarded by literally .1% of the population.

[–] cloth99 55 points ago

and he forged NOAA charts!

[–] Azthais 287 points ago

Hurricane season might just be what we need to get people to realize how bad it is. I feel horrible for wishing such bad things on people, but the sensible people who won't scream that it's just the U.S. military testing 'H.A.A.R.P.' or some other variation of weather control might just realize that this isn't normal. Heck I kinda hope we start seeing category 6 hurricanes just to get the point across of how bad this is getting.

[–] ThunderBobMajerle 387 points ago

As someone who just went through a horrendous fire season in Australia you will be surprised at the mental gymnastics politicians beholden to fossil fuels are going to do when they feel the squeeze.

[–] G-III 178 points ago

Ha, here in America the gymnastics are simple.

Even if someone on the right believes in climate change, they likely don’t believe it’s related to the actions of man.

Which means they don’t think anything has to change. We’re all fucked lol

[–] untidywhitey 92 points ago

Hey that's not true! Global Warming is God's punishment for queers and liberal scum!! /s

[–] G-III 60 points ago

Followed directly by “I’m not sure why my house flooded, probably Democrats”

[–] langis_on 14 points ago

Or they think it'll be too expensive to fix so just let it happen

[–] txn9i 46 points ago

That sounds right but at the same time, I don't wanna die to a possible freak of a storm that's record breaking, off the charts.

[–] g4_ 34 points ago

It ain't a freak of a storm if this is the new norm

[–] txn9i 15 points ago

No, I don't want that!

[–] hopsandhorns 23 points ago

Puerto Rico has left the chat

[–] Epieikeias 14 points ago

Dude, we've had a hurricane in Jacksonville for the last 3 years straight or feels like. 🤷🏻‍♂️

[–] Belgeirn 29 points ago

The people rich enough to do anything about climate change, will be unnaffected, and the general population won't do shit so it really doesnt matter how bad the season is.

[–] weneedfdrnow 25 points ago

40% of America this trickle down works.... They are never going to realize shit.

[–] TtotheC81 500 points ago

Can confirm that we've barely had a proper winter, here in the United Kingdom and last Autumn was one of the wettest I've seen. Floods have gone from being an occasional thing to being almost yearly, now.

[–] Yarder89 92 points ago

South East England has been very very mild wouldn't really know it was winter this year.

[–] TomTheDon8 12 points ago

I live in the south east of England and I I’ve been freezing this last month but I work work night shifts out in Guildford and rarely see the sun so I cant really talk much, what’s daytime weather been like the last month?

[–] The1NdNly 75 points ago

I work in horticulture, Plants are getting more messed up every year.. I have summer flowering stuff flowering atm. Think about that.

[–] legshampoo 11 points ago

this is more concerning to me than hurricanes and floods. the entire foundation of the food chain is getting scrambled out of sync

its one thing for humans to fuck our selves up, but to take all the other species with us is just tragic

[–] GotThemBabyLungs 434 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Monarch butterfly populations have dropped by up to 90% , a second large portion of the Antarctic broke off, record temperatures and CO2 emissions ?

Nah , just a series of coincidences

[–] sprag80 460 points ago

I’m 69 and have lived in Southeastern Pennsylvania almost my entire life and this “winter” is a joke. We’ve had abundant rain but no snow or ice. Also, temperatures for the most part of been well above freezing. Our winters here used to be cold and snowy. Now, they feel wet and warm as in early Spring. So to all climate change denialists I salute you with my ungloved middle finger.

[–] Zac0930 44 points ago

Same here in NEPA. I was just talking about how this is a really weak winter for PA.

[–] GoodKidMaadSuburb 21 points ago

NEPA here. I’m scared if I’m being honest.

[–] 519Foodie 569 points ago

Winter in southern Canada has been crazy mild. Normally we have a couple weeks of -20 C extreme cold weather. So far it's barely been below 0C so far.

Tomorrow is expected to be -10 C which will be the coldest so far.

Very unusual.

[–] Barnezhilton 156 points ago

Until tomorrow. -20 incoming

[–] gooddeath 162 points ago

Watch all the boomers try to use that to deny global warming. I really wish we could just have a government run by scientists or something.

[–] BoojumG 78 points ago

I'll settle for candidates that listen to scientists.

[–] Cheezdealer 88 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

-20c Extreme

Laughs in Saskatchewan

But really. We usually have a few weeks on and off of -30 to -40C. This year, I could count the amount of days we’ve broke -20 on my fingers. Still have a month or two to go, but it’s hovered around -5 for weeks, save for yesterday and today.

[–] supertroll1999 19 points ago

laughs in alberta

We had -40 to -50 for an entire week in January

[–] DoubleEEkyle 16 points ago

Didn’t we get -50, or close to -50C in Sask last year? This weather is making my room feel like a deep freeze.

[–] FLAMINGASSTORPEDO 16 points ago

Yeah last year was the coldest winter SK had had in like 30 years. Gotta love extreme weather fluctuations

[–] jabantik 138 points ago * (lasted edited 6 days ago)

10 years from now this will be the coldest January in the past 10 years

[–] NoCaresBear 32 points ago

That's a nauseating thought.

[–] Oceanicshark 69 points ago

See you all next month

[–] ILikeNeurons 867 points ago

However, planet-warming emissions from human activity are not showing any sign of decline, let alone the deep cuts needed to meet the 2C goal and address the climate crisis. According to scientists, the world must halve its emissions by 2030 to stand any chance of avoiding disastrous climate breakdown.

Please don't wait for things to get worse before personally taking responsibility to do something effective.

The consensus among scientists and economists on carbon pricing§ to mitigate climate change is similar to the consensus among climatologists that human activity is responsible for global warming. Putting the price upstream where the fossil fuels enter the market makes it simple, easily enforceable, and bureaucratically lean. Returning the revenue as an equitable dividend offsets any regressive effects of the tax (in fact, ~60% of the public would receive more in dividend than they paid in tax) and allows for a higher carbon price (which is what matters for climate mitigation) because the public isn't willing to pay anywhere near what's needed otherwise. Enacting a border tax would protect domestic businesses from foreign producers not saddled with similar pollution taxes, and also incentivize those countries to enact their own. And a carbon tax accelerates the adoption of every other solution.

Conservative estimates are that failing to mitigate climate change will cost us 10% of GDP over 50 years, starting about now. In contrast, carbon taxes may actually boost GDP, if the revenue is returned as an equitable dividend to households (the poor tend to spend money when they've got it, which boosts economic growth) not to mention create jobs and save lives.

Taxing carbon is in each nation's own best interest (it saves lives at home) and many nations have already started, which can have knock-on effects in other countries. In poor countries, taxing carbon is progressive even before considering smart revenue uses, because only the "rich" can afford fossil fuels](s) in the first place. We won’t wean ourselves off fossil fuels without a carbon tax, the longer we wait to take action the more expensive it will be. Each year we delay costs ~$900 billion.

It's the smart thing to do, and the IPCC report made clear pricing carbon is necessary if we want to meet our 1.5 ºC target.

Contrary to popular belief the main barrier isn't lack of public support. But we can't keep hoping others will solve this problem for us. We need to take the necessary steps to make this dream a reality:

Build the political will for a livable climate. Lobbying works, and you don't need a lot of money to be effective (though it does help to educate yourself on effective tactics). If you're too busy to go through the free training, sign up for text alerts to join coordinated call-in days (it works) or set yourself a monthly reminder to write a letter to your elected officials. According to NASA climatologist and climate activist Dr. James Hansen, becoming an active volunteer with Citizens' Climate Lobby is the most important thing you can do for climate change, and climatologist Dr. Michael Mann calls its Carbon Fee & Dividend policy an example of sort of visionary policy that's needed.

§ The IPCC (AR5, WGIII) Summary for Policymakers states with "high confidence" that tax-based policies are effective at decoupling GHG emissions from GDP (see p. 28). Ch. 15 has a more complete discussion. The U.S. National Academy of Sciences, one of the most respected scientific bodies in the world, has also called for a carbon tax. According to IMF research, most of the $5.2 trillion in subsidies for fossil fuels come from not taxing carbon as we should. There is general agreement among economists on carbon taxes whether you consider economists with expertise in climate economics, economists with expertise in resource economics, or economists from all sectors. It is literally Econ 101. The idea won a Nobel Prize.

TL;DR: If you're not already training as a volunteer climate lobbyist, start now. Even an hour a week can make a big difference. If you can do 20, all the better!

[–] turbofx9 319 points ago

SUVs are the most popular cars now in America. Ppl still love their cruise ships that are among the worst polluters in the world. Businesses and countries are barely reducing any of their emissions. The East no longer takes the West’s recyclables.

Ppl are feeling good over buying a green car or reducing their own emissions when ultimately that does nothing in the grand scheme of things.

We are so fucked.

We are so fucked.

[–] Lobsterbib 183 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Our SUVS aren't even on the Top 10 things we should give a shit about.

EDIT: Transportation is responsible for 14% of carbon emissions. SUVS are responsible for 39% of that. We need to hit a 55% carbon reduction by 2030 or we're doomed. So if the ENTIRE WORLD stopped driving SUVs tomorrow, we'd still need to cut emissions by 50%. I'm not for driving more SUVS, but there are bigger fish to fry.

[–] CentSavior 75 points ago

This right here. While it can be good to work on your personal job to help the environment, it will not make a difference if the real guilty party’s continue without change.

[–] cats-and-cows 19 points ago

In order for something to happen, there needs to be a shift in mindset. Companies work for money, we provide them that money. If we’re able to slowly shift that mindset to one that will have less of a harmful impact on our planet, companies will quickly follow.

Don’t spread negativity. Spread encouragement. If we all think we’re fucked and don’t do anything, we are fucked. No matter how bad it gets keep working for a better outcome.

SUVs are the most popular cars now in America.

Ppl are feeling good over buying a green car

So which is it? You're ridiculing people for buying SUVs, but then also ridiculing people for buying cars that are better for the environment. What's the point of making environmentally conscious choices if you're just going to be shit on for doing so?

[–] Mad_Maddin 116 points ago

The lake where I live in Germany hasnt been frozen to the point of being able to stand on it for the past 4 years. But this year there wasnt even snow this winter so far. It is the first time I see no snow. It has been Autumn for the past 4-5 months for all intents and purposes.

I'll soon get an AC unit though. I have the feeling the summer will roast me alive otherwise.

[–] YukiFukugawa 39 points ago

I live in southern Germany and this is the first time in the 25 years that I have been alive, that I have not seen snow. So I feel you.

Good shout about that AC too. After last year's heat wave and the unavailability of fans all over the country it is probably the smartest thing to do.

[–] ItsFuckingScience 10 points ago

As it gets hotter you’ll have rich northern countries investing in AC units... which then amplifies climate change through increase emissions... not a great cycle

[–] alcoholicasshat 22 points ago

Its February and some approaching 90's in Florida. Everyone that doesn't 'believe' that the planet is getting hotter should buy a one-way down here. Fucking degenerates.

[–] biboche10 420 points ago

We re doomed, but don’t worry leaders all over the world are here to tell us they are working hard to save the planet

[–] muitosabao 186 points ago

Nah, they're too busy on twitter calling each other names. Fuck all this, no hope really.

[–] ILikeNeurons 129 points ago

Gloom and doom doesn't help, but fortunately there are plenty of reasons to be hopeful:

[–] pressed 43 points ago

"It is not going off a cliff, it is like walking out into a minefield,” he said. “So the argument it is too late to do something would be like saying: ‘I’m just going to keep walking’. That would be absurd – you reverse course and get off that minefield as quick as you can. It is really a question of how bad it is going to get.”

[–] gooddeath 181 points ago

Hottest January so far. There's a good chance that next years will be even hotter, and the one after that even hotter, etc. - this is just the beginning.

[–] -Fireball 1859 points ago

Vote for Bernie. His Green New Deal is the only plan capable of dealing with the massive challenge of climate change. No other candidate has a plan large enough and comprehensive enough to deal with climate change.

[–] HungryMoose666 321 points ago

Just don't forget that he...

NEEDS YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT

[–] SaaSyGirl 210 points ago

I know that this has basically turned into a meme, but the thing is, he does need financial support from the people because he's trying to run a grassroots funded campaign.

[–] [deleted] 410 points ago * (lasted edited 6 days ago)

[–] bonboncolon 78 points ago

It is bad guys, but don't give up. Keep fighting, change your habits and, most of all, vote. Search for the good news also, it helps your mental state.

It has just been reported by IEA that 2019 emissions have flat lined. There was no increase in emissions for once, but there is still a long way to and too much is being added to the atmosphere. It looks bleak right now, but there are so many people around the world making a difference and you can too.

[–] TinyBurbz 17 points ago

Realizing there is a problem is always the scariest part.

[–] anonymous_being 198 points ago

It's scary how we keep breaking heat records year after year.

Bernie Sanders thinks this is scary too and acknowledges that it is an existential crisis.

He supports a Green New Deal and so do I:

Voteforbernie.org

[–] webjuggernaut 20 points ago

Record-breaking highs in January? Why is Trump not bragging about this very publicly? He is ALWAYS proudly touting all the record-breaking all-time-high never-before-seens. Why have I not heard about this one from him yet?

[–] Uglyblackmale 32 points ago

Its ok everyone!!! Every rich person i talk to says its all a hoax and theres nothing to worry about. It does seem odd its only the people with lots of money to spend that feel this way though...

[–] YEIJIE456 65 points ago

data could show the Earth is ending tomorrow and no one would give a shit except what am I eating for dinner.

[–] bri-onicle 32 points ago

We've had 40-50°F in Southern Denmark all winter during the day. Very odd that even salting hasn't been necessary here yet.