Please help contribute to the Reddit categorization project here


    + friends - friends
    6,417 link karma
    270,806 comment karma
    send message redditor for

    [–] Boyfriend's employer won't let him work if he's taken a Xanax NerdCrush 5 points ago in legaladvice

    If it doesn't change his work, how does the boss even know when the boyfriend has taken it?

    [–] Pregnant after anesthetized surgery. I (23F) have no idea what to do. Please help NerdCrush 7 points ago in legaladvice

    You need to go to the police station and ask to speak to an officer. Explain everything you have written here.

    [–] Wanting full custody of 14D in divorce after husband attempted suicide while out daughter was with him. NerdCrush 9 points ago in legaladvice

    You really need a lawyer to navigate it with you. You can google the state bar for your location and see what services they offer for referrals and consultations. You should be able to get a free or low cost meeting to explore what your options are and discuss cost.

    [–] Public school showing Christian films (NC) NerdCrush 2 points ago in legaladvice

    Good luck! I had to go toe to toe with my son's kindergarten in Greensboro for handing out pamphlets for local church events. Their response was "Well, he doesn't have to go."

    I could use a secular win in the NC school system.

    [–] Worried about being fired for coming out as transgender at work NerdCrush 2 points ago in legaladvice

    Cases are winnable. The issue is that you don't have time for a lawsuit if you don't have time to find a job if fired. The lawsuit would take much longer than finding a new job so if your savings aren't substantial enough to carry you though, you're looking at the same issues with being unemployed.

    In case it comes to that, make note of any performance issues you were made aware of before you come out and then any afterward. If the ones afterward do not hold merit, it will help build a case for you.

    [–] Retroactively countersue emotional damages NerdCrush 35 points ago in legaladvice

    Dude, no. You're not suing your ex for emotional damages. Child support is determined by a calculator. The details should be in the court paperwork you received. Even with a lawyer, that number would have been exactly the same.

    [–] Step-parent overstepping NerdCrush 4 points ago in legaladvice

    Not unless your court order states she can't be there. You can try to go back to court to add that to your custody agreement but you will need to have a reason why she shouldn't be there.

    [–] Being stalked by a 33 year old + I'm 16 NerdCrush 5 points ago in legaladvice

    That is literally all you can do. He's not doing anything illegal. You can just block and ignore him.

    [–] Being stalked by a 33 year old + I'm 16 NerdCrush 2 points ago in legaladvice

    Ignore him and stop posting about him.

    [–] Wells Fargo charged student loan payment to my grandmother (cosigner) who now has advanced dementia and lives in a nursing home. Is this legal? NerdCrush 1 points ago in legaladvice

    She owes the loans just as much as you do. It's not shady that they went after a cosigner when then signer wasn't staying current on payments, its literally how loans and cosigners work.

    It happened because she authorized it when she cosigned the loan. Its legal because she cosigned the loan. It's her loan.

    [–] Help me feed the homeless. NerdCrush 4 points ago in legaladvice

    You can talk to the city and find out in what ways you can help the homeless population.

    [–] Help! Was sold a house with a security system, told later that I would have to pay monthly fees. NerdCrush 22 points ago in legaladvice

    He's probably still paying the monthly fees or they were auto-drafted out of the account. If you never agreed to pay for the security system contract, you can just tell the seller "No thank you" and hang up the phone.

    If he takes you to small claims court, bring your paperwork from the house sale and ask where it states you must take over his contract. (Make sure it doesn't actually say that)

    [–] My ex-wife has been eavesdropping on my iPhone text messages? Legal options? NerdCrush 19 points ago in legaladvice

    Well right now you just have a suspicion. You should change all of your passwords starting with your e-mail addresses and go from there.

    If you obtain proof that she did this, you can report it to the police.

    [–] Friends mom took my phone I was letting him borrow what should I do? NerdCrush 3 points ago in legaladvice

    You can sue your friend for the value of the phone. Police likely won't get involved in a dispute between a mother and son about property. They will tell him it is a civil issue. So that is where you are left, this is a civil issue.

    You can tell her that you intend to sue her and her son for the value of the phone if it is not returned. That will likely make her hand it over. If it doesn't, your recourse is to actually sue her.

    [–] Can I renounce my US citizenship and seek asylum somewhere else due to student loans? NerdCrush 6 points ago in legaladvice

    As Derspiny told you, that won't make your debt go away.

    No one will let you immigrate to hide from your debt. There are requirements to move to other countries, most don't let in just anyone that wants to move there.

    [–] [CA] Management disciplining employees over fingernail shape/length despite no rules regarding them in grooming manual NerdCrush 2 points ago in legaladvice

    They define well groomed and manicured as a certain length. It doesn't have to explicitly say "No longer than X/4 inches."

    Unless they are only targeting a protected class of people (ie all black women have to do XYZ but it's okay for everyone else to do ABC) then it is legal for them to give leniency to some people and not others.