Please help contribute to the Reddit categorization project here


    + friends - friends
    6,559 link karma
    45,255 comment karma
    send message redditor for

    [–] DUI Advice (CT) curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    Sure. Good luck.

    [–] DUI Advice (CT) curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    Only the lawyer who knows your entire case is in a position to advise you when things get this granular.

    [–] DUI Advice (CT) curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    Hey whatever works. No one here can tell you what to do.

    [–] WIBTA if I ask my partner not to go out with his work friends? curtmil 16 points ago in AmItheAsshole

    I understand. Just be careful to remember he is your partner, not your therapist or your caretaker.

    [–] I am the victim of a serious crime and was informed yesterday that the case is now considered "high profile." What does this actually mean in practice? curtmil 6 points ago in legaladvice

    Unfortunately, you don't get any say in whether the case is low profile and quiet. My guess is the press have picked up on the story.

    I am sorry you were injured and hope your recovery goes well.

    [–] DUI Advice (CT) curtmil 2 points ago in legaladvice

    Diversion programs tend to work very well. If you go to trial and lose, well, that would be bad. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish with your life.

    [–] Playing esport tourneys in Maryland through LLC curtmil 4 points ago in legaladvice

    You cannot be in Maryland physically and play esports there if it is illegal. Having an LLC does not make illegal conduct legal.

    [–] WIBTA if I ask my partner not to go out with his work friends? curtmil 37 points ago in AmItheAsshole

    NAH, you feel how you feel. But, you need to think of your partner's well being too. You make it clear that you are something of a handful emotionally. That isn't your fault, but your partner is going to need some time with his friends to unwind and relax. You need to remember that he has needs too.

    Don't put too much on him if you can avoid it. I understand putting your foot down on Valentine's, but I would be very careful about doing it too much. He is his own person and has a right to make choices about what he does with his time.

    If you are having problems in the relationship that is also not the time to make demands like this.

    I am sorry for your loss.

    [–] Left a Bad Review, Bus owner came to my HOME to post a C&D curtmil 4 points ago in legaladvice

    No he cannot go after you criminally. He can try to sue for defamation. If you have proof you are telling the truth he would lose. At least in the US. Coming to your house once to leave a note is not harassment. You can inform him he is not to come to your house or communicate with you again. If you comes to your house he would be trespassing. If he sues you, turn it over to a lawyer.

    [–] Personal Injury/Auto Claim Assistance FL curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    A year and two much means your accident was not in 2018. Try to have a conversation with your lawyer. If he is not responsive perhaps it is time to go to a new firm. But he will have a line on your case. This means he would get a portion of the new attorney's fee.

    [–] Landlord failed to disclose that house is not insulated resulting in $500 electric bill. curtmil 28 points ago in legaladvice

    There could well be code violations here. I suggest you contact the code folks in your county and ask them to come and take a look. You should also make sure you are sending information about the falls and everything else in writing, so if something happens you have proof that he failed to manage a dangerous situation properly.

    You might want to check in with a landlord/tenant attorney about whether the failure to disclose the issue is something that is improper in your jurisdiction.

    [–] [Oregon] I catfished my cousin and he wants to sue me curtmil 9 points ago in legaladvice

    Once you get someone to send money under false pretenses you likely have committed a crime. Nudes can be a criminal issue as well, depending on age and other specifics. I would be more worried about your cousin going to the police, than suing, If I were you. If the police come looking for you, you should refuse to speak to them. If you get arrested, tell them you won't talk to them and want a lawyer.

    There is nothing in the law that allows you to recover money by this kind of deception. If he owes you money and sues you, you certainly can file a countersuit for your money.

    [–] Medical Billing - Pay deductible upfront? curtmil 2 points ago in legaladvice

    When it comes to dealing with private companies, we have very limited rights. This is the reality. I cannot change it for you. If you have a legal question, you need to include the pertinent facts.

    Either you have a question appropriate for this sub, which means you have a specific question to your specific circumstances, or you don't, in which case you need to post it to the offtopic sub.

    [–] My mother passed away unexpectedly and I'm being refused a refund for The Book of Mormon even though insurance was paid for. curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    I am very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, the company is not denying you based on a technicality. They are denying you based on the plain language of the insurance terms. The thing to remember is that insurance companies are not in the business of easily paying out money. They write their terms to limit the payouts they will have to make. In this case, if your mother was already ill at the time you purchased the tickets, then they will not refund the money. If you have proof otherwise, then you will need to provide it. Pre-existing limitations are extremely common in insurance.

    [–] Failed replying to Jury Summons mail curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    Well, one thing you cannot do is ignore this. Call the number on the summons and explain (a) that you are not a citizen and (b) that you were away which is why you are only responding now. Most likely, nothing will come of it.

    [–] Medical Billing - Pay deductible upfront? curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    You aren't on a government plan though. And you also don't want to start out with a bad relationship with your doctor. If you don't want to pay the money up front, your best bet is to go to a different doctor.

    [–] Landlord withholding pet deposit despite ESA letter curtmil -3 points ago in legaladvice

    You can pursue the full amount in small claims court if they refuse to return the money.

    [–] Issues with car title [CA] curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    Ask your dad to sign the title over to you.

    [–] [CO] Demo company broke my fence curtmil 2 points ago in legaladvice

    You can contact your own insurance company and they can pursue compensation from the other company, including your deductible, or you can contact the company directly. If the company refuses to work with you, then you would go through your own insurance company and let them deal with it. They don't have to give you a new fence. They just need to repair what was broken.

    [–] Housing Application rejected for old civil case. curtmil 3 points ago in legaladvice

    Then the information came from somewhere else. Some other background check has it.

    [–] I was involved in a hit and run and the driver doesn't have insurance curtmil 1 points ago in legaladvice

    If you have good insurance, your insurance company will compensate you. This will include for your pain and suffering, missed wages, so on and so forth. Assuming the guy has nothing, there really is no point in going after him. You will be out your deductible, but that is about it. He will probably get a ticket. Your insurance company will decide whether to go after him.

    [–] Caused an Accident and Want to Make It Right curtmil 2 points ago in legaladvice

    You don't need to make a monetary gift. Nor should you do so. You will no doubt notice that on the card your insurance company provided you, it tells you not to admit fault. Giving a gift will be taken as an admission of fault.

    What you should do is tell the complete truth to your insurance company about what happened. Then leave your insurance company to handle it. This is why you have insurance. When the case is over and everyone has signed on the dotted line that it is over, if you want to apologize and give a gift, do so at that point.